First mistake of the new season - Servo Not Centered on Goblin

Mode 1

Hi All.

With spring here and various green things budding on the ground and on the trees, it's apparently flying season. This week my son and I whipped up a Goblin and of course, I glued the servo's in without centering them properly. This wouldn't normally be an issue but these servos lay horizontal which makes removing the control arm a bit difficult. That being said, I was able to program in enough offset into my QX7 to get the horns in what I think is a useable position. That being said, i've never done this before and i don't know what I don't know. Will I be ok to proceed using the offset or am I in for a nasty surprise? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

FastCrash45

Elite member
Hi All.

With spring here and various green things budding on the ground and on the trees, it's apparently flying season. This week my son and I whipped up a Goblin and of course, I glued the servo's in without centering them properly. This wouldn't normally be an issue but these servos lay horizontal which makes removing the control arm a bit difficult. That being said, I was able to program in enough offset into my QX7 to get the horns in what I think is a useable position. That being said, i've never done this before and i don't know what I don't know. Will I be ok to proceed using the offset or am I in for a nasty surprise? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
You might find that your up near the end of the throw on the servo which could be bad if you need to do more trimming while in flight and full range of motion is needed in the control

Mode 1

Thanks, Fast.

I fully understand what you are saying.
So, I've got pushrods cut and am ready to glue the horns in. Do I just go for it or dig up the wing and try to get the control horns off with minimal impact to the wing?

FastCrash45

Elite member
Me personally I would try to get them centered. I don't know how much throw you have left but i see problems coming your way if you just go for it. Maybe put a hair dryer on tbr servo to release it. I'm not sure where the servos are on a goblin if the are embedded in the wing the I would use a long screwdriver and take out enough foam to get to the arm. You can glue in a new piece or cover it with tape. JUST what I would do.

Mode 1

Well, we threw caution to the wind and sent her out for her maiden yesterday. She flew fantastic.. What a great flying plane the goblin is!! I Paired her with a Emax RS2205s with a bullnose prop.

20190421_173437.jpg

FastCrash45

Elite member
Well, we threw caution to the wind and sent her out for her maiden yesterday. She flew fantastic.. What a great flying plane the goblin is!! I Paired her with a Emax RS2205s with a bullnose prop.

View attachment 129673
Great job!! HAPPY it worked out for you. I need to try this plane too. Add another check on the wish list it just looks fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Glad it worked out for you.
I would remove a small bit of foam, beside the servo screw, just enough to get a screwdriver on the screw & center the servo horn.