First Plane Troubles

Delonous

So I bought this combo (http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1026.html), and hooked up a smaller battery to it (1200 3s 15c) and it worked fine. I cut the connection to the battery to put a different connector on it, but when I cut the battery, for a split second the two blades of the scissors touched each wire and some smoke popped out. Now it seems the battery doesn't hold a charge. Charger says connection error and no power to esc. So I'm looking into a bigger battery to put up front because it is a little tail heavy.

So I was looking at a 2200 20c 3s battery, is that to much for the 18a esc?
Or would I have to buy a bigger esc for that battery? Then would the motor be ok?
Any input would be great.
Thanks.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm glad that battery didn't catch fire on you. You won't do that again ;)

The 2200 vs the 1200, you list them both as 3S so all you are getting is more milli amp hours. In theory, that means more flight time but the weight of the battery eats some of that up.

I think the ESC is more likely to get hurt if you changed prop size or motor size or both.

engineer

Hey, welcome to the forum!

A larger battery is no problem, so long as it is same # of cells (3s in this case).
Likewise, an oversize ESC is no issue, just adds weight.
Things can get dangerous when ESC or battery can't provide enough amps.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Your motor max is about 110 Watts and more economy is probably at about 70 Watts.
Adding 100 grams 4 oz with a big battery will not make your plane setup much good.
Cant you make the back of your plane lighter?

Delonous

Thank you for all the advice.

I will most definitely never cut that way again.

I'm a little confused on what I should do with the esc, should i get a bigger one just to be safe, or just see how it goes?

My plane is scratch built, so the back consists of just flaps and a wheel, I would have to move up the flaps for less weight, and I don't really want to go forward with that.

Still not sure on what battery I should get.

My plane without a battery ways roughly 15.5oz (440g). I had in mind a slow flyer and I have a wingspan around 48in (1.2m).

Corbarrad

A few pictures of your plane would certainly help in making suggestions as to how to get your cg right.
It might be as simple as moving your wings back a few centimeters, if your fuselage is of the ‘square tube' style.
You could also lengthen your nose section to give your engine weight a little more leverage.
A 3s 2200mAh would probably be too much weight for a 1200 mm straight winged plane to carry and still fly slowly. A Delta of the same wingspan would have a lot more wing area and might behave differently. Again, pictures would help a lot.