First post, mini mustang build!

Cardboardcowboy

Hey everyone!
so I just started flying, I have had a couple little helicopters and drones here and there but I decided to pick a plane finally! I started with the ZOHD dart 250 because it had the stability control and I figured that’s the only way I would be able to fly it more then once! Flew that a few times and crashed a few times and decided I wanted to build a plane.

So I found the FT mini mustang. I got the plane about halfway together and then got really busy with other stuff, and it sat on the shelf getting dusty. Well I finally got back to it the other day but forgot where I was in the process and also wasn’t using the recommended power plant etc. and from that point i went off plans and just started throwing parts in there, and changed the fuselage to work for me. Well I finally finished it! I was concerned I would crash it right away and destroy it before I could learn to fly it so I throw the zohd fight stabilizer in there and used a 2300kv motor from my drone. It’s all set up now and a little heavy.. but balanced I think she will fly and I’m excited for it to stop raining! What do you guys think!

Attachments

• 78B34B2C-0F55-4ABB-AC8D-153CF1DC00BC.jpeg
    78B34B2C-0F55-4ABB-AC8D-153CF1DC00BC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • EB2AFED8-3C39-4258-82AF-D4F2DDFCAB3A.jpeg
    EB2AFED8-3C39-4258-82AF-D4F2DDFCAB3A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 14A6437C-1D4F-4B88-959B-F23E3C651C11.jpeg
    14A6437C-1D4F-4B88-959B-F23E3C651C11.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 4FC2236C-E2AC-47FD-A925-5C6292FFD7B3.jpeg
    4FC2236C-E2AC-47FD-A925-5C6292FFD7B3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

tesseract

Master member
Hey everyone!
so I just started flying, I have had a couple little helicopters and drones here and there but I decided to pick a plane finally! I started with the ZOHD dart 250 because it had the stability control and I figured that’s the only way I would be able to fly it more then once! Flew that a few times and crashed a few times and decided I wanted to build a plane.

So I found the FT mini mustang. I got the plane about halfway together and then got really busy with other stuff, and it sat on the shelf getting dusty. Well I finally got back to it the other day but forgot where I was in the process and also wasn’t using the recommended power plant etc. and from that point i went off plans and just started throwing parts in there, and changed the fuselage to work for me. Well I finally finished it! I was concerned I would crash it right away and destroy it before I could learn to fly it so I throw the zohd fight stabilizer in there and used a 2300kv motor from my drone. It’s all set up now and a little heavy.. but balanced I think she will fly and I’m excited for it to stop raining! What do you guys think!
Welcome to the hobby! Personally I think you should check it with the FT model's specs and the power (in grams) of the motor. If I remember correctly its about 600-680 grams. I made this mistake once by not wheighing my plane, and it never flew.
I'd also suggest using a different prop as that *looks* like it is used for sport flying, basically FAST.
Also, check dihedral and square off the stabilizers as they look a bit limp. This may be because of using Low-temp hot glue as this melts by itself sometimes. I believe that may be tail-heavy as the servos should be more to the front.
Do you know anyone who flies in your town? You should ask them to help test fly to make sure nothing is incorrect, etc. They will help a lot.
I'll tag on an experienced flyer to help you more, as I'm also *fairly* new to the hobby, been flyin' since April last year.

Cardboardcowboy

Welcome to the hobby! Personally I think you should check it with the FT model's specs and the power (in grams) of the motor. If I remember correctly its about 600-680 grams. I made this mistake once by not wheighing my plane, and it never flew.
I'd also suggest using a different prop as that *looks* like it is used for sport flying, basically FAST.
Also, check dihedral and square off the stabilizers as they look a bit limp. This may be because of using Low-temp hot glue as this melts by itself sometimes. I believe that may be tail-heavy as the servos should be more to the front.
Do you know anyone who flies in your town? You should ask them to help test fly to make sure nothing is incorrect, etc. They will help a lot.
I'll tag on an experienced flyer to help you more, as I'm also *fairly* new to the hobby, been flyin' since April last year.

thanks for the reply! And I agree with you about the prop being to much, I’m afraid it’s going to put a lot of stress on the esc but a smaller prop didn’t look good.. secondly yes the stab is not square I think it was a couple months of hanger rash, I’m gonna weight it right now good call. Okay so we’re looking at 444 grams with the battery, also I have a very cheap hot glue gun so that could be the low temp issue there. The weight and balance I think is in check. It matches where the build video showed it should be. I don’t know any other flyers near me I’m kinda just wingin it! Thanks again for the advice! Oh the prop is a 6040!

Flyingshark

Master member
You say it's a 2300kv motor, but what's the size? It should have a number like 2205 or 1806 on it, could you add that? The Mini Mustang is supposed to have something in the range of a 2205-2300kv... As long as your motor isn't super different, it ought to fly well!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I admire you for taking the plunge but dont be mistaken, model plane building and flying is more of an exact science than you would appreciate.
You cant just stick any old motor in a plane then fit a prop and say to yourself that looks okay, it shoulkd fly.
The motor, Prop, ESC and battery all need to be matched for the type and size of plane you intend to fly. If you dont take these factors into account your likely to be heading for a disaster. Worse than just crashing, you can burn out your motor and your ESC just by using the wrong prop size and pitch.
The wrong combination can make a normally docile plane into an un-manageable beast, that even an experienced flyer would struggle with. This is why Flite test specify which motor, ESC, Prop and battery are best suited to the plane they design.
I am sorry if I sound a bit pessimistic, but I dont want you to have another disaster and lose interest in the hobby. Flite test do an excellent series of videos for the beginer on you tube, its worth watching them before you jump in with both feet.
Welcome to the forum by the way and good luck with the Mustang ;)

Cardboardcowboy

You say it's a 2300kv motor, but what's the size? It should have a number like 2205 or 1806 on it, could you add that? The Mini Mustang is supposed to have something in the range of a 2205-2300kv... As long as your motor isn't super different, it ought to fly well!

Right it’s a 2205. It was a replacement for a drone.. and two battery options 11.1 v 1350 mah Lipo or a 7.4 v 3500 mah lithium ion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Cardboardcowboy

I admire you for taking the plunge but dont be mistaken, model plane building and flying is more of an exact science than you would appreciate.
You cant just stick any old motor in a plane then fit a prop and say to yourself that looks okay, it shoulkd fly.
The motor, Prop, ESC and battery all need to be matched for the type and size of plane you intend to fly. If you dont take these factors into account your likely to be heading for a disaster. Worse than just crashing, you can burn out your motor and your ESC just by using the wrong prop size and pitch.
The wrong combination can make a normally docile plane into an un-manageable beast, that even an experienced flyer would struggle with. This is why Flite test specify which motor, ESC, Prop and battery are best suited to the plane they design.
I am sorry if I sound a bit pessimistic, but I dont want you to have another disaster and lose interest in the hobby. Flite test do an excellent series of videos for the beginer on you tube, its worth watching them before you jump in with both feet.
Welcome to the forum by the way and good luck with the Mustang ;)

Thank you! Not pessimistic at all I totally understand that there’s more too it then what I have going on here! And that’s why I wanted to hear from you all! And I fully expect that I will crash it and then just try again! For me the fun is in experimenting and seeing if I can make it work! I just hope it flys once!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Thank you! Not pessimistic at all I totally understand that there’s more too it then what I have going on here! And that’s why I wanted to hear from you all! And I fully expect that I will crash it and then just try again! For me the fun is in experimenting and seeing if I can make it work! I just hope it flys once!
Good for you I am sure you will get there eventually, keep you throws lower to the lower recommendations for your first flights. You can always increase them when you get some flights under your belt. It wouldnt do any harm to give yourself 30% expo too.

Cardboardcowboy

I'd go with the 11.1v (3 cell) 1350mah. It's the closest to what FliteTest recommends.

Okay thanks, oh also when talking CG the mustang says one inch from the leading edge. Is that at the root of the wing
Good for you I am sure you will get there eventually, keep you throws lower to the lower recommendations for your first flights. You can always increase them when you get some flights under your belt. It wouldnt do any harm to give yourself 30% expo too.

okay I will thank you!

OliverW

Legendary member
Hey everyone!

Awesome! Post a flight video when you can! She's beautiful!

tesseract

Master member
thanks for the reply! And I agree with you about the prop being to much, I’m afraid it’s going to put a lot of stress on the esc but a smaller prop didn’t look good.. secondly yes the stab is not square I think it was a couple months of hanger rash, I’m gonna weight it right now good call. Okay so we’re looking at 444 grams with the battery, also I have a very cheap hot glue gun so that could be the low temp issue there. The weight and balance I think is in check. It matches where the build video showed it should be. I don’t know any other flyers near me I’m kinda just wingin it! Thanks again for the advice! Oh the prop is a 6040!
Welcome! Yeah, cheap glue guns do do that. By the prop being to powerfull I mean the kind of prop. What you have there is a sport prop made for SPEED not a normal prop of the same size. I believe that a 6040 is the right prop size - does it say 6x4? The only problem is 444 grams is 200grams underwheight, I'd suggest a smaller prop. Mabye 6x3

slowjo

Master member
Hey everyone!

nice

Cardboardcowboy

Awesome! Post a flight video when you can! She's beautiful!
Thanks a lot I will!
Welcome! Yeah, cheap glue guns do do that. By the prop being to powerfull I mean the kind of prop. What you have there is a sport prop made for SPEED not a normal prop of the same size. I believe that a 6040 is the right prop size - does it say 6x4? The only problem is 444 grams is 200grams underwheight, I'd suggest a smaller prop. Mabye 6x3

200 grams underweight? What will that do for me? The prop just says 6040, but I also have a 5030 prop I could put on.

Attachments

• 2A4777E7-00AE-4CC1-B38D-938315A10D03.jpeg
    2A4777E7-00AE-4CC1-B38D-938315A10D03.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

tesseract

Master member
200 grams underweight? What will that do for me? The prop just says 6040, but I also have a 5030 prop I could put on.
That looks about right! 200grams underweight won't do anything bad except for the fact that it may be tail heavy and it'd go real fast without too much throttle. If possible move the servos more to the front. Remember to check CG, do a glide test and tape the prop in place while doing glide test. I'll put the specs below. I'd also suggest to buy some landing gear to get used to the controls and the speed. Remember to watch Josh and Josh's vids.
Specifications:
Weight: 5.5 Oz (156 grams, Fully assembled; without battery)
Wingspan: 24.5 Inches (622mm)
Center of Gravity: 1 Inch (25mm) from leading edge of wing (Recommended)
Control Surface Throws: 12 Degrees
Expo Suggestions: 30%