First post, mini mustang build!

Cardboardcowboy

That looks about right! 200grams underweight won't do anything bad except for the fact that it may be tail heavy and it'd go real fast without too much throttle. If possible move the servos more to the front. Remember to check CG, do a glide test and tape the prop in place while doing glide test. I'll put the specs below. I'd also suggest to buy some landing gear to get used to the controls and the speed. Remember to watch Josh and Josh's vids.
Specifications:
Weight: 5.5 Oz (156 grams, Fully assembled; without battery)
Wingspan: 24.5 Inches (622mm)
Center of Gravity: 1 Inch (25mm) from leading edge of wing (Recommended)
Control Surface Throws: 12 Degrees
Expo Suggestions: 30%
thanks for the video links I’ll check them out!

Cardboardcowboy

I’m getting ready to fly the mustang tomorrow and checking everything out. But with the fight controller in there when I set it to stability mode the servos are moving really slow. Almost 4 seconds to go from one max to the other.. why is this happening? In manual mode they move fine. But there is no way I could gain control of the plane with this slow of a reaction time.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
If in doubt dont fly, I am not an expert in flight controllers but that doesn't sound right. The flight controller is there to correct any movements the model makes which have not been made by your input, ie if the models course deviates due to wind influence the flight controller should react to correct this immediately. Therefore, if you are putting an input into the transmitter and there is a 4 second delay before the control surface reacts, there is something drastically wrong. You should still get an immediate response to the controls from your stick movements.

Cardboardcowboy

Yeah I don’t think it will be fying tomorrow! It does move right away but only a little, then it just very slowly continues till it reaches it max set position. But it is defiantly to slow to be effective. Even my manual inputs move just as slow when in stabilized flight mode. It’s just the ailerons tho the other control surfaces move normally.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Yeah I don’t think it will be fying tomorrow! It does move right away but only a little, then it just very slowly continues till it reaches it max set position. But it is defiantly to slow to be effective. Even my manual inputs move just as slow when in stabilized flight mode. It’s just the ailerons tho the other control surfaces move normally.
There is a clue there to what's wrong, as the problem isn't on all control surfaces then I suggest you disconnect the aileron lead and plug in the rudder lead into the aileron socket. This effectively makes the plane a 3 channel instead of 4 ch. It will also allow you to see if the rudder is impacted in the same way as the ailerons where ?

Cardboardcowboy

There is a clue there to what's wrong, as the problem isn't on all control surfaces then I suggest you disconnect the aileron lead and plug in the rudder lead into the aileron socket. This effectively makes the plane a 3 channel instead of 4 ch. It will also allow you to see if the rudder is impacted in the same way as the ailerons where ?
Good idea I’ll try that

Cardboardcowboy

Okay I figured it out! I did swap them and it reversed the issue. Then I remembered that my fight controller was giveing me jittery control surfaces so I had to turn the sensitivity down. so I swapped everything back and adjusted the fight controller, remembered to actually cycle the power so the changes would take affect and it worked! Thanks for the help! Now it’s all dialed in with low rates and expo and I think I can fly her tomorrow!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Okay I figured it out! I did swap them and it reversed the issue. Then I remembered that my fight controller was giveing me jittery control surfaces so I had to turn the sensitivity down. so I swapped everything back and adjusted the fight controller, remembered to actually cycle the power so the changes would take affect and it worked! Thanks for the help! Now it’s all dialed in with low rates and expo and I think I can fly her tomorrow!
Great news pleased you got it sorted, good luck with the maiden looking forward to a favorable report on your first flight (y);)