First Radio

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
For a first radio would one of the DX6 line work?

I want to go bigger lateron, but dont want to spend a ton right off the bat, and want to hand it down to my kiddos as they get older

Last edited:

Jnr Kuzi

Hey Texas, welcome to the ft forums and thanks for asking us (the community) for our suggestions and opinions.
Well, personally i think spektrum dx6i will be a Good investment.
In the Rc hobby, you need good quallity equipment if you wish to enjoy it in the long run.
That spektrum radio, is strong, user friendly and worth the investment (like a nokia phone).
Normally i would suggest that a newbie buys a low cost radio to learn on but i've come to realise that, that system makes learning slow and makes the individual waste money and throw away a good radio when they finally feel the need to upgrade.
So all in all, i recommend you buy that dx6i radio and i promise you wont regret the investment.
"Note - i dont work for spektrum radio.lol"
Good luck and Happy flying.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The DX6 is in my opinion a good first transmitter.
It has all the basic functions and is a really easy to understand thing.
It will work "out of the box" without any modifications.

RoyBro

Mentor
While there is nothing wrong with the DX6, for the same money as the DX6 +/- a few bucks, you could get an FrSky Taranis 16-channel transmitter with telemetry. The Taranis firmware is OpenTX, so it is always being updated. It does require a little basic configuration to assign controls to channels, but once you've learned to do that, it won't be long until you want to try some mixes. It has features found in transmitters costing $500-$1000 or more. It also has a JR compatible module bay so that you can use other protocols like Spectrum's DSM2 and DSMX, or FlySky, or UHF, etc. There are plenty of people on the forum that use the Taranis that can help you get started.

So you won't be paying any more that you would with a DX6, but you'll have a transmitter that will last you for years. The down side is that you probably won't want to hand it down to your kids. Prices start at $170. You could always get a Turnigy 9x or 9xr for that at under $100. They can also be flashed with OpenTX as well.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I've had my Orange Rx T-Six for a year-and-a-half now and have not had any issues with it. It works with all the Spektrum stuff as well as the Orange and Lemon receivers. You'll be hard pressed to find a more feature rich radio in it's price range (~70 USD). For that price, you won't be hesitant to let your kids use it later on either.

electricRC

HbbyFLyr
I got a DX5e for first radio, 60 USD at horizonhobby. right now they have a sale going on and you can the radio WITH a receiver (forget which one) for 10 more.

you can pick up a FlySky FS-t6 with on receiver for $55 and free shipping to the 48

It is a 6 channel programmable transmitter. I have been using mine since Feb of this year and have not had a single problem with it. it's good on batteries has all the basic programming features you would want. For the price, i think it's the best that's out there. If you're not sure if you are going to stay in the hobby it's the cheapest way to start.

I currently have a Taranis on order. Seeing that you are willing to spend the 200 ish for the spektrum radio. For the same money you can get the Taranis, you can always add a spektrum compatible module if need be for bind and fly aircraft. I have done tons of research an the Taranis has been labeled the radio you won't out grow.

I have nothing against spektrum. They are user friendly have a huge compatibility list. but for the same money the Taranis can do it all and more. with the JR module you can add a UHF module. I'm buying a FlySky module for mine so that tI can still use all my old receivers.

my 2 cents.

-Jes

Spence

I love my dx6i, and its my first ever radio, and it can do some stuff that I don't know how to use lol. The spektrum dx6 is more advanced than the dx6i and a little bit more money too