First Time Slow Fly Power Pack

paulmacklin

I'm returning to RC after about 20 years, formally a glider guider, no real power experience, especially electric. My 15 yo son is developing a great interest in RC, flying and building and we want to build and fly a slow fly electric together. I'm confident with all of the design and build but need real help selecting our first power supply - prop, motor, esc, bec, battery pack combination. We're planning on about a 1.2m span, outdoor, slow fly trainer. I've watched lots of videos on power supply combinations but I'm just not familiar enough with electronics and the new tech to make our first purchase decision. Some real direction from experienced users around set ups, specs and brands for a first time prop, motor, esc, bec, battery pack combination would be fantastic. Thanks Paul

OliverW

Legendary member
I'm returning to RC after about 20 years, formally a glider guider, no real power experience, especially electric. My 15 yo son is developing a great interest in RC, flying and building and we want to build and fly a slow fly electric together. I'm confident with all of the design and build but need real help selecting our first power supply - prop, motor, esc, bec, battery pack combination. We're planning on about a 1.2m span, outdoor, slow fly trainer. I've watched lots of videos on power supply combinations but I'm just not familiar enough with electronics and the new tech to make our first purchase decision. Some real direction from experienced users around set ups, specs and brands for a first time prop, motor, esc, bec, battery pack combination would be fantastic. Thanks Paul
I would probably go with the FliteTest Power Pack C and use 1800 3s packs.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
C pack components on 3s batteries is a good choice. I've been using older C pack components on a Mig3 and and current B pack components on an Explorer (both Flite Test designs) with good success. Depending on what plane you build I would recommend the bigger battery like @SquirrelTail suggested. I've been using 1300's and getting proper CG on larger planes can be bothersome.