C pack motor plane recomendations.

rcwees

i saw a thread saying to build the bushwacker, but it looks sorta advanced. i have a power pack c motor, 30a esc, and a 1800 mah 45c 3s battery. what would the best trainer for this size be. i realized now i went a litle big, but im trying to find the best trainer or kinda slow flying plane. ive built the simple cub but it hasent really turned out well. i was putting my eye on the storch, but i wanted to come here first to gather ideas. i mainly want something that i can practice just rc in generall, as well as it being slow enough for small ish areas?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I have a C pack on my Simple Cub. I don’t think the Bushwhacker is a complicated build. I modify my Bushwhackers‘ nose to have more battery space forward to get a better CG.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
ok so would it be a good beginner plane
I think it flies really docile, however - from the FT Store: “This plane is designed for intermediate to advanced pilots and is capable of most aerobatic maneuvers with the Power Pack C.”

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I helped @FlyerInStyle with his legacy build at Flitefest and I was very impressed with how well it flew. It made a fantastic trainer! It’s definitely a better trainer than the bushwacker and is a stronger design.

rcwees

ok cool. i’ll look into building that one. and any ideas for landing gear. ground control seems to be my greatest weak point and all of my landing gears have failed?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
ok cool. i’ll look into building that one. and any ideas for landing gear. ground control seems to be my greatest weak point and all of my landing gears have failed?
Well it’s a little hard with the legacy since they used a special aluminum landing gear. I honestly would just make it a belly lander, but it’s up to you.

rcwees

i fly in a area with just dirt and concrete so that would be very hard. i just mean any landing gear shapes or anything that works best

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
i fly in a area with just dirt and concrete so that would be very hard. i just mean any landing gear shapes or anything that works best
I’d do something like they do on the simple scout and cub, but I’d probably add a couple doublers for extra strength.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
wdym doublers? sorry for such noob questions
If you put landing gear on your Simple Cub, you may remember how the landing gear was slotted with one big foam pad into the fuselage. Before closing up the fuselage, add foam or popsicle sticks to all four sides of that slot inside the fuselage. That gives more support for the landing gear where it is mounted inside the fuselage.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I also, made some plexiglass landing gear for my legacy, and it works a lot nicer on ground tests (haven't flown it with that yet)

rcwees

@thehangar, when i had my cub the problem wasnt the gear moving in the fuselage it was the gear moving in the foam that holds it, it would like bend and fall out of the foam after a decent amount of use.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
@thehangar, when i had my cub the problem wasnt the gear moving in the fuselage it was the gear moving in the foam that holds it, it would like bend and fall out of the foam after a decent amount of use.
or, make a flat plate, and make it like in the swappable power pod, like ont eh ft flyer, look into it