First time using Glue gun

t3yf5g

I have my FT mini scout kit coming tomorrow and picked up a glue gun and some sticks. I noticed the Hosts using Ad Tech Pro200 glue gun and purchased that. The glue stick were of the same brand and the Multitemp ones. I did some gluing on my quad to cover up the PCB connections and the glue dried really quick. On the build videos, they seemed to have quite a bit more time working with the glue. Is there a recommended glue stick I should get instead?

earthsciteach

Hot glue sets up very quickly. Work efficiently when you apply it. Its best to go through a "test fit" prior to gluing. Make sure all your parts line up prior to applying the glue. On long glue joints, take a moment to think about how you will get the glued edges to line up and be held in place.

It is not at all complicated, but you must work fairly quickly.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Foamboard is a good insulator and helps the glue hold temperature a bit longer.
At least it seems that way to me when it squirts out of a joint onto my fingers......

Best regards,
PCH

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Is the gun set to high temp? Did you give it full time to heat up? Typically, I have at least ten seconds, and sometimes as much as 30 seconds to work with the glue when the gun is good and hot.

when setting up my glue gun, i normally switch it on, then go make a brew. by the time i get back, its temperature has established enough for consistent results. using a gun too early (even though the glue has become fluid) will mean the glue sets too quickly.

t3yf5g

I was probably too quick on the draw with the gun then. Think it was about 1 min or so when I pulled the trigger and saw it come out. I was inconsistently flowing between squeezes. I will let it heat up longer and test again later.

What glue sticks are recommended?

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
I was probably too quick on the draw with the gun then. Think it was about 1 min or so when I pulled the trigger and saw it come out. I was inconsistently flowing between squeezes. I will let it heat up longer and test again later.

What glue sticks are recommended?

Have you guys seen this?
Approved Glue Sticks

I saw this link on he FT FB page, i think

It really sounds like you just need to give it a bit more time to heat up. Give it a minute or two between uses to make sure it stays good and hot. Also, it may look like they have all the time in the world, but I bet it's shorter than you realize because they make everything look so smooth, easy, and confident.

ViperTech

Don't overlook what type of material you are gluing together, meaning if it's foam board to foam board you have more time than say wood to foam board or metal to foam board or carbon fiber to foam board, hot glue is workable when hot, so if the material is a good heatsink it can set up very quickly and before you are ready and well lets just say it really sucked!

t3yf5g

So this Ad Tech sticks I got worked just fine. Fine enough for a blister on my thumb... :D Thanks for the other suggestions.

I let it heat up for about 10mins while I prepared the foam board parts. Messed up a few times with the servo mounting, sucks ripping them off and trying to re-glue. All in all, not bad for my first build. Taking it out tomorrow for a maiden flight.