Flight Fest 2014 FPV??

DrewDog25

Soooo... with the FAA memo statement of basically "FPV is outlawed", is Flightfest 2014 participants going to be allowed to use their FPV equipment knowing that this is a closed course and all flyers are AMA members and insured? There has been no update that I can see which would lead me to believe that anything has been altered from the scheduled "FPV obstical course" or anything else related to FPV. Also, there are probably 10-15% of participants which are either into or seeking knowledge of FPV that will be attending this event (me being one of the many).

Just want to know if I should spend the time getting all my FPV gear together and bring with for this event.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Nothing has been said by the guys, but I'm going to guess that Flite Test isn't going to encourage anyone to break the law, or regulations dictated by the FAA...

But, there's no reason people couldn't bring FPV gear so that the pilot can fly LOS, and give rides to passengers.

Mytchak

KG5CZA
Totally agree with FlyingMonkey.

I'm brining my DHL glider an plan on flying that for the majority of the event.

Brining my tri-copter and flying wing equipped for FPV.

7AC

I think the right thing for FT to do is announce that previously planned FPV events at FliteFest are going to be impacted by the FAA's changed interpretation of the 2012PL. Then provide a link where those that choose not to attend under those circumstances can get a refund of funds deposited for admission.

DrewDog25

FlyingMonkey is right-on.... I do like the idea of having a "passenger" have the first-person view while the pilot fly's line-of-sight. I will bring my walk-up monitors for that for whoever wants to watch. The FAA rulings got nothing on that.

I was hoping that the FAA ruling was not going to turn away participants from this event... (mainly because I need their expertise and help tuning-in my FPV equipment) ;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
That doesn't sound entirely unreasonable 7AC. Although I'd hope people were going for more than JUST the FPV aspect of the hobby.

7AC

Quite a quandry

My reason for attending was the prospect of Austrailan style 250 size quad racing. Flite Test's videos from SEFF highlighted a "through the woods" course that would be ideal for some sort of a competition. The Aussie's use a smiliar course. In fact almost all of Flite Test's outdoor video depends upon FPV. I can envision that it will be difficult for Flite Test to continue producing videos in the US unless some sort of work-around is found to the FAA's stated position. The timing couldn't be worse as Flite Fest is timed to start on the exact day that the FPV ban is to take place.:mad: I am willing to bet we don't ANY of the Flite Test crew using goggles during Flite Fest. Trying to video the event with no FPV will be about impossible.:(

xtrmtrk

I've heard rumors that Trappy might be at FliteFest. I sincerely hope not, this is supposed to be a family event and you'd be hard pressed to find a WORSE role model for RC and FPV flying. He's not a very nice person and I'd prefer he wasn't around the kids I'll be bringing. Knowing his addiction to attention, he could quite possibly spoil a great event just to get in the media limelight and for his own gain. I don't like slandering an individual, but Trappy's put himself in the spotlight and repeatedly shown his true colors. Let's hope he stays far away from what looks like a great weekend.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
I've heard rumors that Trappy might be at FliteFest. I sincerely hope not, this is supposed to be a family event and you'd be hard pressed to find a WORSE role model for RC and FPV flying. He's not a very nice person and I'd prefer he wasn't around the kids I'll be bringing. Knowing his addiction to attention, he could quite possibly spoil a great event just to get in the media limelight and for his own gain. I don't like slandering an individual, but Trappy's put himself in the spotlight and repeatedly shown his true colors. Let's hope he stays far away from what looks like a great weekend.

Couldn't have said it better.

Thank you.

C_E

7AC

Trappy

I doubt the FT gang wants anything controversial at their event. It will be interesting to see if AMA and FAA can negotiate beyond an impass and if not, when and by who the first court test of the new "interpretation" will take place. The financial impact of a post-7/25/14 RC world has got to be staggering. I was at the April Toledo RC show and virtually everything "new" on display by the vendors was FPV related. DJI alone stands to lose $millions. It seems like there should be an economic interest among the RC industry to funding a court test.:eek: I suspect if Trappy does attend it was arranged before the the trip to Europe and the FAA's "June Surprise" and his attendance would now be very low key.

This might be best answwered by the "Drone Laws" interview this week but...
When we look at previous rules and regulations in the US, as well as from around the world, can't we always fly FPV on a buddy box, so long as the control pilot has line of sight? Not simply a passenger but FLYING. Wouldn't that leave a LOS operator ready to regain control at any time? If that's not good enough, I know I can mix two controllers together on a Turnigy 9XR, to the point both people are giving the aircraft input. Maybe THAT would be good enough, to where the LOS pilot is not even on a momentary switch, but has control full-time.
And its too late now, but what about indoor FPV? If we were to set uop a race course indoors and fly FPV, wouldn't that negate ANY FAA authority? Maybe next year's event could rent an auditorium or something?
Its hard to imagine the FAA NOT showing up, if only to look around. Maybe they'll get a forum to speak to the community and explain themselves a bit. Only time will tel.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
At present time the FAA has NO AUTHORITY INDOORS! ;)

Anyone can fly FPV EXCEPT the PILOT of the craft.

Thurmond

"At present time" ROFL!! And late last night, it popped into my head that maybe next year's fundraiser could go to one of those giant inflatable buildings.. Through we might want to ban tractor props!

Fern-Fox

"At present time" ROFL!! And late last night, it popped into my head that maybe next year's fundraiser could go to one of those giant inflatable buildings.. Through we might want to ban tractor props!

Lol, that would be fun a giant INFLATABLE building with rc planes and multirotors and heli's with propellers spinning very fast *POP* :p But yeah it would be cool if we had a building to fly fpv, almost like a dog show with tunnles and hoops for fun