Flight Sims???

Wimp

G'Day!
OK...a total "newbie" to RC Flying....found Flite Test and got hooked. Kits and electronics coming from all over the world now! The BIG question!!!! I have seen soo many flight sims in various guises and figure that I should really get some practice in the safety of my own house first (Before I decapitate some one or ....even worse....smash my plane!). Just wanted some guidance on what people are using before I shell out (even more) $$$$$$$$$ !

SteevyT

I'm currently using Realflight G4.5, I don't want to shell out the cash for an upgrade when what I have works.

A lot of people here use rcdeskpilot.

If you're a beginner and want a simulator with real beginner aircraft, get Phoenix. It's a bit cheaper than Realflight and isn't as hard on your computer.
-Fin

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
All I've ever used was RC Desk Pilot. www.rcdeskpilot.com It's free. Can't complain about that. I tried FMS and Clearview but I never really gave them a chance. FMS is old (and not very good). I didn't like that Clearview is from the pilot's view and the pilot's view only. It's nice to fly FPV view once in a while.

Phoenix and Real Flight look like they are a lot better and more realistic than RC Desk Pilot, but you can only learn so much from a simulator. Mostly muscle memory on the sticks and orientation. Any RC flight simulator will teach those two things.

I've made most of the FT planes for RC Desk Pilot for the fact that it's probably the best free simulator. http://www.flitetest.com/articles/7-more-ft-planes-for-rc-desk-pilot

You could always start with RC Desk Pilot and then "upgrade" to either Phoenix 5 or Real Flight 7.

EDIT: My avatar is all screenshots of RC Desk Pilot of a few of the add on planes I've made.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Real Flight 7 all the way. I actually own Real Flight, Phoenix, and AeroFly 7... Real Flight is the best, been using it since version 5

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I use RF also, but it is a tad pricey for those on a tight budget. It's probably the most realistic but it comes at a price, both in dollars and on your computer.