Flight test Power pack B - esc/motor issue

Carrier2027

I bought a power pack B as recommended by the plane manufacturer I bought from. When I power up the motor at normal speed or faster the motor starts hesitating. If I move real slowly up I can do full throttle with no issues. By hesitating I mean like starts and stops constantly, very quickly. So the prop keeps moving but at a much reduced speed since it's shutting off and on, etc. I can lower it to half stick, come back up slow and be fine.

I have calibrated the endpoints and that does not solve it. This has been driving me nuts.the plane has yet to fly right. Any ideas as to what it could be?

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
is this a Power pack B off of the flight test store? or parted out from other components?
What size prop and battery are you using?

Carrier2027

is this a Power pack B off of the flight test store? or parted out from other components?
What size prop and battery are you using?
Yes power pack B ordered directly from flight test. Putting it on a 3d printed wing from Eclipson. I have tried multiple batteries and prop mixes. All do the same. Currently in the video using a 3s 2280mah with an 8x6 pusher prop.

Attachments

• 20210821_174959.jpg
    20210821_174959.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 0

JasonK

Yes power pack B ordered directly from flight test. Putting it on a 3d printed wing from Eclipson. I have tried multiple batteries and prop mixes. All do the same. Currently in the video using a 3s 2280mah with an 8x6 pusher prop.

It looks like 9x4.5 is the supplied prop for the B pack. So a 8x6 should be ok [at least related to the 'get it spinning' question here] unless it isn't an electric (to much mass can make it hard to get started)

and are your screws bumping your windings?

I would check all your wires/etc. and if there isn't any viable issues, I would check with FT support.

Carrier2027

I didn't think about the screws hitting the windings. They didn't seem too long to do so but definitely worth checking.

I have swapped all 3 wires around and wiggled each. Since it was from a power pack no soldering of my own was needed.

JasonK

You don't know how to program timings on this esc do you? I can't find any instructions for it.

I would expect the ESC that came in the power pack to already have the correct timing for the given motor. If not, FT support should have that info if it can be done.

quorneng

Master member
The first thing you need to do is take off the prop and see if the motor will then run up to full speed without hesitation. This would confirm that the problem is not mechanical (like too long screws) but related to the amps being used.
Don't assume the soldered joints are perfect just because some one did them Dont just jiggle them but really try to pull the connectors off. Don't worry if they are properly solder you won't be able to.
I really doubt it is a timing problem I have never had to 'adjust' the timing of any ESCs (40+) from 5A on 2s to 60A on 4s in an EDF.
That will leave the problem being either the ESC or the motor itself. Hard to tell which without substituting a replacement, one at a time.
If the connectors are sound my money would be on a broken wire making intermittent contact inside the motor rather than the ESC as they either work or they simply do not whether on or off load.

Carrier2027

The first thing you need to do is take off the prop and see if the motor will then run up to full speed without hesitation. This would confirm that the problem is not mechanical (like too long screws) but related to the amps being used.
Don't assume the soldered joints are perfect just because some one did them Dont just jiggle them but really try to pull the connectors off. Don't worry if they are properly solder you won't be able to.
I really doubt it is a timing problem I have never had to 'adjust' the timing of any ESCs (40+) from 5A on 2s to 60A on 4s in an EDF.
That will leave the problem being either the ESC or the motor itself. Hard to tell which without substituting a replacement, one at a time.
If the connectors are sound my money would be on a broken wire making intermittent contact inside the motor rather than the ESC as they either work or they simply do not whether on or off load.

You nailed it. At least I think you did. I had removed the prop and tried. It didn't have any issues without a prop. That being said I looked through to the windings and I see one looked crushed. I also noticed the same one looks like a winding looks broken. It's so small and hard to see but I think that's what's happening. I ordered a different motor that should be here Tuesday and will try with that.

Thanks for your response!