Flight Time vs % Throttle vs Throttle Timer

bitogre

I recently got myself a Taranis Radio and I'm wondering which type of timer I should be using and why. I know that a lot of people use a total time flight timer as any timer will work for this (does not need to be a feature of the radio). But I would think the two throttle based timers would be more accurate.

So, I would appreciate it if people would let me know what do you use and why? Thanks.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I do use the overall timer just because to me it's safer since I don't have an LVA hooked up. I've been relying on the telemetry and since I have to look at my screen to see it, without the timer I don't really know when to look...But that is just me and the percentage setup is probably going to be more accurate. Once I get an LVA as a back-up, I'll probably start playing with the percentage timer more.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I have my throttle start/stop the timer because I've had many times on my old DX6i TX where I forgot to start the timer using the trainer switch. I have two timers, but just use the one.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have my throttle start/stop the timer because I've had many times on my old DX6i TX where I forgot to start the timer using the trainer switch. I have two timers, but just use the one.
LOL I have been guilty of that one as well. I do use the throttle to start my timer also, at least on the 9X. My JR doesn't have a timer so that one I just fly until I think it's time. So far it has been pretty good and I haven't really killed any batteries that way...but it all fixed wing on that radio and the ESC's are set for shutoff...