Flip 1.5 and FrSky X8R connections electro hub

Quad

In the final stretch of build number one. Have a question.

All 4 ESCs are connected to the Flip 1.5 flight controller.

ESCs are:
F-20A Fire Red series SimonK-(RapidESC)
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/sp...mal-esc-with-rapidesc-fw-for-multirotor.html\

How do I get power to the flip 1.5 (Where do I make the connection).

Also the receive is a FRSKY X8R. The instructions for the flip 1.5 says connect:

D2 from the flight controller to Throttle/SPPM
D4 from the flight controller to Roll
D5 from the Flight controller to Pitch
D6 from the Flight controller to Yaw

The FrSky X8R has ports numbered. 1-8

Was thinking to run

D2 to port1 on RX (full cable with power)
D4 to port 2 on Rx (signal only)
D5 to port 3 on RX (signal only)
D6 to port 4 on RX (signal only)

Does this sound correct?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
The flip gets power from the red lead(s) coming from the esc's. You really only need one, but i suspect it's ok to leave the others connected. I connected an x8r the same way you proposed, and made sure the TX was programmed for taer (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder) channel mapping.

Quad

The flip gets power from the red lead(s) coming from the esc's. You really only need one, but i suspect it's ok to leave the others connected. I connected an x8r the same way you proposed, and made sure the TX was programmed for taer (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder) channel mapping.

Many thanks! I appreciate that!

Quad

Any thoughts on what to do with the RX antennas? Was thinking about the RX on the bottom with antennas at 90 is that correct? Not finding a place to mount them thought...

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Antennas 90 degrees to each other is correct. If you have your battery on bottom, and you put your antenna on bottom, the battery will shadow the antennas. I have mine on a mast made from a plastic sippy-cup drinking straw, cut and hot-glued into a Y shape. The antennas sit about 6" above the top plate of the quad, giving plenty of clearance from things that create shadows.

Quad

Antennas 90 degrees to each other is correct. If you have your battery on bottom, and you put your antenna on bottom, the battery will shadow the antennas. I have mine on a mast made from a plastic sippy-cup drinking straw, cut and hot-glued into a Y shape. The antennas sit about 6" above the top plate of the quad, giving plenty of clearance from things that create shadows.

Thanks! So place the RX on top near the flight controller or perhaps next to it?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Thanks! So place the RX on top near the flight controller or perhaps next to it?

I don't think it matters too much as long as it is up above the obstructions somewhat, so that you get some clear line of sight down to your flying position at a distance.

Quad

I connected an x8r the same way you proposed, and made sure the TX was programmed for taer (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder) channel mapping.

Would you know how to set the TX for taer channel mapping?

I can get to the Input screen and it has channels:

1 Thr
2) Ail
3) Ele
4) Rud

Im not sure how to change them...

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I answered another question you had in a thread about the Taranis manual/info. Assuming you are running OpenTX on your taranis, it looks like your input screen shows you are using TAER channel mapping so that's pretty much set. You need to set the endpoints to 130% as per the sticker on the Flip 1.5 antistatic bag for the AER channels. I have an example OpenTX configuration for a X9D+ with X8R receiver setup (tricopter) posted here that you can use as a starting point:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-point-of-view&p=149857&viewfull=1#post149857

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Endpoints on the Taranis (mine, at least) don't need to be 130% to hit 1000-2000 us PPM timing, as required by MW Flip. On mine, I actually had to bring the endpoints in a few clicks. If memory serves, I'm at like 98% on all channels. The Taranis will report the exact PPM timing it is outputting on the Servos screen where you adjust the endpoints, so no guesswork is required. The timing as seen by the MW Flip may be slightly different than the Taranis's reported timing, but they will be pretty close. For perfect accuracy, hook the MW Flip up to the MW Config GUI app on your PC and check the reported timing there.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Ahhh... good to know. I sort of saw that myself, but didn't think it hurt to have the expanded endpoints. Now that I think about it, it's just going to basically give me too much dead stick at the ends, which is probably not what I want. I'll go back and fine tune my RC settings based on this info. Thanks!

Quad

I answered another question you had in a thread about the Taranis manual/info. Assuming you are running OpenTX on your taranis, it looks like your input screen shows you are using TAER channel mapping so that's pretty much set. You need to set the endpoints to 130% as per the sticker on the Flip 1.5 antistatic bag for the AER channels. I have an example OpenTX configuration for a X9D+ with X8R receiver setup (tricopter) posted here that you can use as a starting point:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-point-of-view&p=149857&viewfull=1#post149857

Thank You!

Quad

Endpoints on the Taranis (mine, at least) don't need to be 130% to hit 1000-2000 us PPM timing, as required by MW Flip. On mine, I actually had to bring the endpoints in a few clicks. If memory serves, I'm at like 98% on all channels. The Taranis will report the exact PPM timing it is outputting on the Servos screen where you adjust the endpoints, so no guesswork is required. The timing as seen by the MW Flip may be slightly different than the Taranis's reported timing, but they will be pretty close. For perfect accuracy, hook the MW Flip up to the MW Config GUI app on your PC and check the reported timing there.

Thank You!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I just finished resetting my endpoints. I actually used the Android MultiWiiGui instead, and it was actually nicer than using MultiWiiConf because I could see past 1000 and 2000 with that app. My version of MultiWiiConf doesn't show any lower PWM values.

Haha, also discovered my low throttle setting, even when set to -100 (default) was keeping my throttle PWM at ~960 or so. I was wondering why my throttle didn't kick in the motors until about a little less than 1/4 throttle! Sheesh. I'm curious how different it'll feel flying it now with these settings...

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Ahhh... good to know. I sort of saw that myself, but didn't think it hurt to have the expanded endpoints. Now that I think about it, it's just going to basically give me too much dead stick at the ends, which is probably not what I want. I'll go back and fine tune my RC settings based on this info. Thanks!

Yes, exactly. Best performance is achieved when the TX and MW endpoints match as closely as possible. Any mismatch results in either dead-zone at the end, or inability to fully throttle up/down. Between the two, dead-zone is probably the better option, but proper matching is the best.

Quad

I seem to have the quad RX bound to the TX. A green light is present on the FrSky X8R. However moving the controls does nothing. I assume it needs to be armed? Thoughts?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I seem to have the quad RX bound to the TX. A green light is present on the FrSky X8R. However moving the controls does nothing. I assume it needs to be armed? Thoughts?

To arm, throttle at zero, yaw stick all the way right. Disarm with yaw to the left.

Quad

Props are balanced and antenna is sort of a v shape (needs work :) First test flight is tomorrow. Stoked :) Many Thanks!