Flite Fest 2016 World Record

Corbarrad

Count me in as well.
I have a project plane that I'd like to fly during the event, but if all else fails I'll grab a baby baron...
DX6i DSMX in all probability.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Ditto!!! I'm in and so is my boy. I'll be using my taranis and he will have his DX6i. Planes to be determined later.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm in.

FrSky Taranis ACCST

Will fly whatever I have left that's airworthy. Probably my Das Little Stick. Suspect the Baron & Britt will be trashed in combat early on. :)

DharanFlyer

Also Also, It should be noted that we should keep it to low energy planes. Nothing super fast or huge.

So a 3m glider is out?

No Habu?

Not even a 1/4 scale cub?!?

Spoil sport ;)

So on these notes I was pondering -

Should we split up the groups into "flights" of similar air frames? For example if we do have a group of people with Radian for example *cough* Afterhours *cough* they could launch first and get to altitude and hold. Following that the more endurance based aircraft launch, and then finally the group of lower endurance (Arrows/Quads etc) launch.

Creates some separation of traffic and not 100+ planes are attempting to all enter the airspace at the same time. Additionally we could then spread out a little down the flight line to lower the chance of mid-air collisions.

Final benefit could be a "flight leader" for each group that would coordinate with the "admiral" so that the groups could be organized and communicated with easier than one person on a loud speaker to 100+ pilots. Maybe go for groups of 20-30 pilots each?

Liam B

I'm in. I fly Graupner, so I believe HoTT is the system name. As far as aircraft, I'm not sure. Maybe a Guinea Pig. So, I'm guessing a Carbon Cub would be too big? I can make it efficient enough, but I think size would be an issue.

shermanhartman

Balsa Splinter Generator
So on these notes I was pondering -

Should we split up the groups into "flights" of similar air frames? For example if we do have a group of people with Radian for example *cough* Afterhours *cough* they could launch first and get to altitude and hold. Following that the more endurance based aircraft launch, and then finally the group of lower endurance (Arrows/Quads etc) launch.

Creates some separation of traffic and not 100+ planes are attempting to all enter the airspace at the same time. Additionally we could then spread out a little down the flight line to lower the chance of mid-air collisions.

Final benefit could be a "flight leader" for each group that would coordinate with the "admiral" so that the groups could be organized and communicated with easier than one person on a loud speaker to 100+ pilots. Maybe go for groups of 20-30 pilots each?

I think thats our best bet. Different altitude groups and use the whole flight line. Also, remember, the stipulation is RC aircraft. So heli and multirotor people are included.

So gliders & high endurance planes launch first and go to high altitude. Then the regular planes go up at a moderate altitude. And then heli and multirotor people go at a low altitude.

If we really want to get organized, we can have groups based on plane types and sizes. The groups with larger planes could go far away from the flight line, and then groups with small/micro planes would stay above the flight line.

DharanFlyer

I think thats our best bet. Different altitude groups and use the whole flight line. Also, remember, the stipulation is RC aircraft. So heli and multirotor people are included.

So gliders & high endurance planes launch first and go to high altitude. Then the regular planes go up at a moderate altitude. And then heli and multirotor people go at a low altitude.

If we really want to get organized, we can have groups based on plane types and sizes. The groups with larger planes could go far away from the flight line, and then groups with small/micro planes would stay above the flight line.

Agreed.

Almost 4 flight levels:
Level 4 (Highest) - Gliders
Level 3 - Large / Endurance
Level 2 - UMX / Small Endurance
Level 1 (Lowest) - Multirotors / Heli

Only thing is that adds a lot of complication and requires coordination. Even if not everyone is exactly were they are suppose to be if the majority are then that at least would be better than a open melee. Those could be our four flights so they launch in unison. Once the previous flight is up and in the pattern then the next flight launches.

shermanhartman

Balsa Splinter Generator
Agreed.

Almost 4 flight levels:
Level 4 (Highest) - Gliders
Level 3 - Large / Endurance
Level 2 - UMX / Small Endurance
Level 1 (Lowest) - Multirotors / Heli

I like that. Its simple. And it could be organized via the announcement system. Everyone is assigned to their level and told when to take off.

What about FPV? I kinda feel like we should avoid having anyone doing FPV just to keep the RF spectrum as clean as possible.

DharanFlyer

My thoughts as well. Maybe have FT or Rotor Riot on it and up so they can film, but the general participant should not be.

In regards to the RF is there any other things that could be implemented to "clear up" some space? Phones off, etc.

shermanhartman

Balsa Splinter Generator
Cellphones operate at 900mhz/1.9ghz most of the time, so they probably wouldn't make much of a difference but it couldn't hurt.
We could also ask the Fureys to turn off their wifi and people to turn off any wifi on their phones and wifi enabled devices (computers, cameras etc).
We could also have some people go old fashioned and go to 72mhz radios and free up the 2.4 a bit. Anyone who has it could use 433mhz systems also.
I think people should avoid using DSM2 if they can. Even during regular flying, people were having issues with DSM2 dropping out, and i was occasionally having issues with DSMX (which caused 2 crashes for myself)
Someone could contact Alex Greve (does he go by IBCrazy here?) and ask for his suggestions.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I am in!!! I will be flying one of the Baby Barons during the Gotha Gaggle.
I fly DX9 with DSMX
Mike Finley

Looking forward to this for sure!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I reached out to Josh, Peter, Alex and Austin on this.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Exciting...things are looking good! More details coming soon.

earthsciteach

Speaking of RF interference, folks should steer well clear of that oil well. Don't know if there is some kind of transmitter on it, but quite a few planes have gone down near it due to loss of signal.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I would check on the heli/multirotor option. I think in the video they said it had to be planes. Now it could be that way because that's how it was worded on the application. But we need to know before people commit to that option.