Flite Fest Combat Gunship Turret Challenge!!!!

Pigfarm1403

Builder
The plane:

So right now I am working on an 8ft c-130 style cargo plane. It will have 4 b-pack motors powering it with two 3s 2250 batteries. My first weapon is to drop balloons with strings attached to them as air-mines. The cool weapon will be the turret! I want to add a turret above the wing and let kids control it with an fpv headset and a second controller that is controlling the turret.

The challenge:

I need ideas for a weapon that the turret can use. I thought about using silly string but I'm pretty sure the turbulence made by the plane will throw it off and even if it hit it would have little effect. Keep in mind this will be in an area with other people so no paintball guns or airsoft guns. The idea is for it to be able to take down planes that are chasing after it. Any ideas are appreciated and don't be afraid to think outside the box! I will build the best idea and if the winner just happens to be going to flite fest Ohio you can be the first person to operate the turret! I could just do this all myself but it's so much more fun when somebody else is a part of it. So think outside the box and submit your ideas!

Attachments

• Plane image.jpg
    Plane image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
There are no legal ways to weaponize that that would be strong or accurate enough to take down another RC plane that I can think of. Most of the ideas that have promise have a second draw back of littering up the flying field and could be potentially hazardous material waste that would be tilled into the field at some point.

Bout the safest and effective thing would be to carry a water tank and have colored water spray from a tube that has a battery operated pump. that would give range and maybe a little accuracy. A plane would be considered shot down if it came down wet and "Marked"

About the only other thing I could think of that would not be an issue is maybe a motorized foam disc launcher but again you could litter the field pretty well in the course of one battery flight times. This will be a hard challenge to complete and stay legal safe and respect the property. Specially with as many people that will be there spread out so much.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Really the best way to do this is anti aircraft potato guns. you could cut them down into french fries so its like a shot gun round. Ive been tempted multiple years to bring mine.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Blueberries - natures paintball!

(Following careful consideration of the advice from Psyborg)

DamoRC

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
:cool: You guys are on to something I think. Using organic materials is perfect for this. Maybe get a few bags of hash brown potatoes that are pre chopped up. May be thick and heavy enough to actually damage foamboard. Now just have to work out the delivery method. Maybe we can even mix seeds in and help Mr. Furey with pre seeding the winter mix for the field. :applause:

Keep the ideas coming!!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Pneumatic harpoon gun!
What do you mean it is not safe?
You could include the laser tag system im developing with the other guys but the targets will need to have the system too so it's a lot of trouble.
I guess you can't put fireworks on that either, too bad because that would be fun.

Maybe a catapult that launches paper rolls like in streamer combats? Maybe with a parachutes to slow the descent a bit, that could work.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
We should probably keep in mind with all the craziness that is Flite Fest that this is held on personal property and we are guests. The ideas here should at least try to consider this. I know I would not stand for having a bbq and all my guests coming over tearing up the place and leaving me with a massive mess to deal with after they all go.

The property gets wrecked each year. I think one of the objectives is to not see how much more can be done to it. Between the vehicles, the camping areas, all the straw, the foam scraps and streamers left behind as well as lost gear out in their field that all adds up. That's a lot of effort to get their property back to a state they can keep up other operations there the rest of the year.

I am not sure how much a lot of you guys know but from what I understand the main flight area is a working farm parcel and the large grassy area is a private air strip for real planes.

Austins parents are way cool people and are fully behind what Flite Test does. I wonder if maybe an episode with them would be appropriate so people get to know who is letting all this happen and fully supporting it so we could show them some support and appreciation. I got to meet Mr. Furey last year and he is a great guy. Anyone going should try and meet him or at least know a little about the host whos property this all happens on. That could be a cool way to let the many people who do not know about this learn about how all this gets to happen.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
This would be hilariously awesome! I actually really like the silly string idea though. Yeah, the wind and currents would mess it around, but I think that would be part of the fun. A silly string can is probably the easiest thing to hook up to a servo anyway.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I kinda like the organic projectile idea. I think blueberries would be to fragile though, but grapes I think would work. Potatoes might be a bit heavy too, and hard to reload. Peas are the ideal size but I don't think they could hold up to being shot. Another thing to add to the fun would be FPV parasite aircraft that you can drop when the mothership's battery is about to die or just drop them in the beginning to wreak havoc on the other aircraft. The sparrow would work well for a parasite craft.

Pigfarm1403

Builder
Frozen organic food?

I could freeze peas or grapes and shoot those. Or I could freeze orbeez (biodegradable) and shoot those. These are great ideas guy, I never would have thought of using organic material.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
If my memory serves me right they used to make guns to shoot those orbeez things (I might still have on hidden in my basement somewhere) so you wont have to freeze them at all. I don't know if it'll conform to FAA guidelines, however since it is biodegradable you might be able to get away with it.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I like the hash brown idea with grass seed, as a bomb material. I'm thinking the Bombs like on the scout with down-angled vanes put the hash brown mix in there like a peanut butter on a pine cone. If it hits, it will splatter the plane it hits, adding weight and drag. Also works to mark ground targets well, I would suppose.

I like the parachute idea too, just don't know how.

I agree, it should be biodegradable.