Flite Fest West 2018 - It's That Time of Year Again!

Liam B

After the FT crew sent me an early CAD drawing of the Sea Duck with a "coming soon, brother" note, it took them about a year for the plane to come out ;-)

That doesn't help, Balu:p

On a serious note, I believe it was late January or Early February that they released the dates officially.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
That doesn't help, Balu:p

On a serious note, I believe it was late January or Early February that they released the dates officially.

Ok. I've tried to keep April/May open from work, but I also have a software conference that's supposed to happen for work around April...I'm just praying it's not the same week as FFW, because I HAVE to attend the software conference!

Fingers crossed...

Liam B

So uh...

Any ideas on locations? Probably not going to happen in April, but we can at least try!

Michael_jpm

El Toro would be the best IMHO. Mabey there is somewhere in the east of the state. A bit harder to get to but an Idea...

Liam B

El Toro would be the best IMHO. Mabey there is somewhere in the east of the state. A bit harder to get to but an Idea...

El Toro is apparently owned by Heritage Fields LLC, and they plan to break ground on building some shopping malls later this year. Maybe, just maybe it would work.

Liam B

Could we close an airport? We got a decently sized one up here by Yosemite. We could close it if needed.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Yeah, uhm...Lockheed's Skunk Works don't like people flying out there. They still do testing out there in Mojave, and, well...:)

...and, well ... IT'S MOJAVE. There's a reason that if you blink on the drive you'll miss it :p

There are certainly some awesome spots out there in the high desert, but you gotta drive MINIMUM 40 minutes from the nearest hotel (at least, one you'd WANT to stay at)

Not that it's not doable, but even in Malvern you've got decent hotels within 15 minutes drive.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
El Toro is apparently owned by Heritage Fields LLC, and they plan to break ground on building some shopping malls later this year. Maybe, just maybe it would work.

I'm still suggesting the old Santa Ana airfield in Tustin. There's plenty of land there where we could have a hell area, drones, fixed wing...We could even have events INSIDE the old blimp hangars there...And it's not far from John Wayne International airport, 20 min. with traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santa+Ana+Naval+Air+Station+%2F+Marine+Corps+Air+Station+Tustin+-+Lighter-than-Air+(LTA)+Base+with+Blimp+Hangars/@33.7058352,-117.8302564,1286m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80dcdc1912298e1d:0x3198d1b1f984276e!8m2!3d33.7029388!4d-117.8239274

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Not 100% sure what is happening here. From the vid, it sounds like they are looking for the community to help them find a location for FFW , but how exactly is that going to work? Are they reading through the forum? Would they like us to email suggestions? Still hopeful that there will be an FFW in 2018.

DamoRC

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Not 100% sure what is happening here. From the vid, it sounds like they are looking for the community to help them find a location for FFW , but how exactly is that going to work? Are they reading through the forum? Would they like us to email suggestions? Still hopeful that there will be an FFW in 2018.

DamoRC

I'm fairly certain there isn't going to be a FFW in 2018. But they are opening it up to the community to submit suggestions for future venue sites. Stefan is pretty good about popping around the forums, and there are a few of us who can "bend an ear" if something really good pops up that they haven't seen yet. ;)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I'm fairly certain there isn't going to be a FFW in 2018. But they are opening it up to the community to submit suggestions for future venue sites. Stefan is pretty good about popping around the forums, and there are a few of us who can "bend an ear" if something really good pops up that they haven't seen yet. ;)

Bummer! On the upside, the Texas event is 10 hours closer to drive than Ohio, only 1800 miles!

DamoRC

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Bummer! On the upside, the Texas event is 10 hours closer to drive than Ohio, only 1800 miles!

DamoRC

LOL

Since FFW is out, I was able to redirect my funds (and run it by Wifey), and I will definitely be at FFOhio this year.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
LOL

Since FFW is out, I was able to redirect my funds (and run it by Wifey), and I will definitely be at FFOhio this year.

And the XB-70 is getting to Ohio how?

Cool that you will be at FFE. How does that work? You fly with electronics, and build when you get there?

DamoRC

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
And the XB-70 is getting to Ohio how?

Cool that you will be at FFE. How does that work? You fly with electronics, and build when you get there?

DamoRC

LOL ... we'll see ;)

but yeah, I fly with batteries and electronics and build there. Last year I brought a pre-built Baby Bugatti with me, but I'll probably just travel light this year.