Flite Test at SEFF 2014

Freaky_1

old headcase
Folks, SEFF was a blast! I changed my plans and made a last minute trip Thursday after leaving work. My Father seemed interested in going so we made a trip of it. I really enjoyed myself and more importantly, my Father did. He was confined to a wheelchair for most of it and those tiny narrow wheels weren't made for damp earth, but we made it work.

Stan (my Father) has been into rc flight for about 40 years, but until SEFF, had never done more than taxi one around. In truth, he still hasn't flown, but he did spend some time on the simulator there and did quite well. He did so well that I decided to buy Phoenix 5 for him to practice as well as hone my own skills. Then we needed a bird for him to learn on. He's got at least 50 planes, but modern trainers are just so much simpler and take a beating (not to mention that an rtf was cheaper than repowering one of his). There's an FMS Easy Trainer 1280 rtf sitting beside me, still boxed up from SEFF. Weather permitting, we plan to have him flying tomorrow in Leesburg or Centre, AL. I also bought an fz duet just cause it was 40 bucks, the remains of a fun cub, an old wattage mad max, a box of nib 72mhz receivers, a mess of spares, a 3 pack FT SBK and a few motors and escs to check out (yup, I'm the nut that bought the new old yellow bird next to ya Dan).

Met a bunch of great people. Even met Craftydan....... that's another story.

You see Craftydan (aka CD as he's a little seedy) should change his moniker to CrankyDan as he's got such a bad attitude in person. You wouldn't know it here on the forum, but has a terrible attitude, has no time for anyone ad wouldn't lift a finger for a friend, let alone a stranger. Now for the kicker......

If you bought any of that last paragraph, I've got a small tropical island just north of the north pole I'd like to sell ya. Great guy and I think his lovely Bride actually supports him in this insanity. No-one had props for sale that would work for a bird I had purchased. I checked every booth and found some close enough that they may well work, but nothing correct. Dan hears one word of such and goes and grabs some new bagged props. Not only the richt diameter and pitch, but the very make that came with the plane. He holds out his hand and says here take 'em they don't fit any of my planes. That pretty much summed up many people at SEFF.

Many begged Stan to fly and crash their planes to get him in the air. A whole lot of "it can take it" and "destroy it, it's just a thing".

Josh and David were gracious and happy to speak with Stan which gave him a serious boost and I enjoyed meeting them as well. I sorta met Alex, but he was busy most of the time (or at least when we had opportunity) and we didn't get to speak much. Maybe next time we'll get there sooner and meet more of ya.

A huge thanknyou to both Josh and David for their time at the meet and a giant thank you to all of Flite Test near and far. I honestly think my Father now has a reason to get out again. He's in poor health, but he can still enjoy himself :)

Sorry for the book, but I'm finally recovering from SEFF and had to share.

Have an Awesome day all,
Frank

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Crankydan . . . Lol! For a moment there I'd wondered if you'd chatted with my wife after I had to go back to work ;)

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
I had no idea that was you with your father over at the Friday night build party. I was wondering how I missed the other FT friend all weekend!

cgetman02

Who else would like to see a FT version of the Gia Norman? I think it would be a big hit. Probably not a 7' wingspan version though!

Crash (Wish I would have gone to SEFF, You can bet I'll be at HHAEFI in the fall)

Last edited: