Flite Test - Baby Blender v.2 - BUILD

Implicit

I've been flying helicopters for 4 months or so now, but when I saw the Baby Blender a few months back, I decided that I had to build it. (I have a lapsed PPL and used to fly Pitts, so have a soft spot for biplanes).
The build itself was very easy, but it took a while to get all the right connectors, etc and with good weather forecast for the weekend, I had to fudge the control rods a little in order to get it to work. (I'll tighten that up later).
I have flown planes a fair bit on the simulator but for all intents and purposes this was going to be my first RC (plane) flight and I was kinda expecting it to end in distaster.
The grass was tall for taking off, so I had my buddy hand launch it (a first for him too) and boy, did it go a lot faster than expected.
It was instantly obvious that the field really wasn't big enough for my skills, but throttling back, I could still mostly control it and did a couple of rough circuits before deciding that that the field really wasn't big enough and made a reasonable soft landing. (tall grass, so it flopped over instantly but no damage).
Next time we'll go to a bigger field and hopefully get through a couple of packs!.

Implicit

We found a large field today (baseball/softball diamond) and the infield was groomed well enough that I could use it for taking off.
This thing takes off like a rocket!. First flight was nice, but my attempt at adjusting the CG was obviously not right and it was too far back. Still did a handful of circuits (and a loop!). Flopped it back on the ground, adjusted the CG did a couple of more flights.
It loops real nice and has quite good vertical penetration too. I like that it has enough power to get out of trouble too. Several times I got myself pointed the wrong way and could literally just give it full throttle and out.
I find it very tricky to land, though and still haven't quite figured out the correct landing speed/slope yet. It seems to lose a lot of stability and authority once the throttle is off.

Baby Blender Wings with Dihedral

* If anyone knows how to do it for an Armin wing, add dihedral, if possible, at least to the lower wing. With short, stubby, flat wings, the Baby Blender does not self stabilize.

To help tame a Baby Blender, add dihedral to the wings.

I built and test flew a Baby Blender V2 and, while I generally liked the plane, others and I found it to be a bit squirrelly in the air.

BB_original_photo.jpeg

With short, stubby, flat wings, it had no self-centering capabilities. I thought adding a little dihedral to the wings might help settle down the BB V2.

After viewing the Flitetest FT Spitfire Build video, I decided on building the Baby Blender with 5 degrees of dihedral to both the upper and lower wings. However, I realized that it would be difficult to mount the lower wing to the fuselage with an angle so I decided to have a 4 inch flat center section with the remaining 10 inches on the wings on either side angled upward. I purposefully did not crease the wing at where the fuselage joins the wing but 5/8 inch outside (2 inches off center) because of my concerns for ease of mounting the wing and strength.

I used the stock BB V2 spar template for measurements for the ½ inch high spar. I drew out a 4 inch long, ½ inch high center section. Then, at 2 inches off center, I drew the spar bottom line at a 5° angle using a compass, out to 10 inches on either side of the 4 inch center section. I then used the compass to mark 90° off the spar bottom line and drew a perpendicular line of ½ inch high, the height of the spar. I connected the two marks to draw out the top of the ½ inch spar for each of the 10 inch, upward angled portions of the wings. I next drew in the 1 inch tabs to fit into the wings at the stock 5 inches in from wing tip (5 inches from wingtip + 1 inch tab + 4 inches to dihedral break + 2 inches to center = 12 inches each side). I repeated this 3 times to make 4 spars, and, after cutting out the 4 spars, glued 2 spars together for each wing. By using a one-piece spar, I hope it will give me greater strength than joining 2 or 3 sections together.

spar_diagram.jpeg

spar_in_wing.jpeg

Since the lower wing is the more difficult to prepare, I first prepared the stock lower wing. I had to increase the cutout section between the ailerons by a ½ inch on both sides to match the dihedral break (A 4 inch cutout instead of a 3 inch cutout.) and added clear packing tape to the leading edge for added strength. To allow for the dihedral, at 2 inches off center on each side, I creased the inside portion of the bottom of the lower wing and cut through the top portion of the lower wing (Marked with barbeque skewers on the photo.).

BBQ_Skewers.jpeg

To assemble the lower wing, after dry-fitting everything to make sure it all fit, I decided it would be easier to fit the center section first, the outer wings sections after that. To make sure everything lines up, I drew 2 parallel lines connecting the 2 holes in the wings for the spar tabs. I hot-glued in the center section, making sure it fit within the parallel lines and matched the break in the wing where the dihedral begins. I then hot-glued in the side spars, one side at a time. The dihedral is now beginning to be formed.

spar_in_wing.jpeg

After securing the spar, it was time to build the top of the wing. I first folded over and hot-glued one of the 10 inch sides, followed by folding over and securing the other 10 inch side. This left the 4 inch center section the last to be fitted.

center_section_up.jpeg

Because of the angle, the space on top for the center section is actually slightly less than the 4 inch bottom. I test fitted the center section and found that I could force it into the opening without trimming the sides but it was a very tight fit. This tight fit should give the wing added strength. You may need to trim or sand the sides to fit, especially if your angle is greater than 5°. To add more strength to the joint, I ran a bead of hot-glue down the 2 seams where the outer wings join the center section, squeegeeing off the excess.

completed_unpainted_wing1.jpeg

completed_unpainted_wing2.jpeg

I repeated the same procedure for the upper wing. Because the upper wing does not have the fuselage rail cutouts in the center section like the lower wing top, the center section was almost too tight to fit. Again, I recommend test fitting the center section after constructing the wing ends and trimming or sanding slightly, if necessary.

After painting the wings and wing struts, I assembled the wings just like one assembles the stock BB V2 wings. Although not readily visible, there is a slight dihedral to both the upper and lower wings.

completed_painted_wings.jpeg

completed_painted_wings2.jpeg

I then mounted the wings to the fuselage, set the control surfaces and checked the throws.

completed_plane2.jpeg

FLIGHT REPORT

So, did the dihedral help tame the squirrelly nature of the Baby Blender? In a word: Somewhat.

It was a relatively calm morning on the test flight. After trimming out the BB V2, I noted that it was less squirrelly and more stable in flight with the wing with dihedral. Because the wings are short and stubby, it is still a handful in the air and not a sedate trainer. However, with the dihedral in the wing, it is just not as much of a handful. Also, the dihedral wing did not adversely affect the BB V2’s ability to do loops or snap (and I do mean “snap”) rolls.

By the third battery, winds had kicked up to around 7-10 mph. While the Baby Blender is not a big fan of winds, the BB V2 handled better the winds with the wing with dihedral than with a flat wing.

As noted above, I added 5° of dihedral on each side. A greater angle may add more stability but you also start loosing lift.

Now time to print out USAAC “Star and Ball” roundels for the new wings to finish her.

completed_plane.jpeg

geolevine

Hey guys, I was just wondering if its possible to run a 4s 1800mah or 4s 2200mah on the recommended motor (NTM 1200kv)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-George

The Cure

My experience

I maiden the Baby Blender MkII this evening. The winds were calm and I use the low throw rates (~65% dual rate setting) and 30% expo.

Take off took about 2 inches as the BB MkII leaps off the ground even on short grass. Then things get interesting.

As noted by Sydneylopsides and puzzleflyer, the BB MkII is a bit squirrelly in the air. Even with the 1300mah 3s moved all the way to the front, she was still a bit tail heavy. I added 7g to the nose and that seemed to help but she is still a bit of a handful: controllable, but a handful.

"Landings" on short grass were less than beautiful, both resulting in roll-overs. Good thing is that the Baby Blender is rugged as she survived both with minimal and easily repairable battle damage.

Also, at least my Baby Blender likes to run at 2/3 to 3/4 throttle; at 1/2 throttle, she was on the edge of stalling. This may be due to the fact that she is made out of the slightly heavier OfficeDepot foam board and not Adam's Dollar Tree foam board, which is not available here in Hawaii. Still, I was hoping she would be more of a slow flying cruiser.

A couple of suggestions for the BB MkII:

* Add clear packing tape to the front edge wing tips of the lower wing. These got a little crunched on my less than beautiful landings.

* Reinforce with Extreme packing tape the front holes for the barbeque skewers used to secure the wing to the fuselage. Also consider moving the forward holes for the forward wing mount a bit higher on the fuselage than as stated on the plans as they come under a lot of stress in less than perfect "landings."

* The 2mm landing gear wire is still a little too weak for the BB. However, you can bend it back easily to shape but a thicker wire may provide a more sturdy landing gear.

* If anyone knows how to do it for an Armin wing, add dihedral, if possible, at least to the lower wing. With short, stubby, flat wings, the Baby Blender does not self stabilize.

As others have said, the Baby Blender is a fun plane to build and is quite maneuverable. I was hoping for a more stable, sedate, slow-flyer, which the BB MkII is not, but she is still a fun plane.

All in all, not too bad a plane.

Keep'em flyin'!:cool:

I had the same problems with mine using the recommended CG. It's too far backwards for sure.
It was hairy getting it under control in the air initially, but once it was trimmed to combat the CG it flew nicely.
Even with the 3s 2200 battery hanging over the fron firewall, it still flew abit tail heavy. Also noticed the 2826 1400kv motor was really hot even on 2s.
So, I used the only low kv motor I had - 960kv 3642 motor to add weight to the front. I changed the prop to a 10x3.8. Now a 3s and 4s can be used. The motor of course handles the power easily. 3S still has some power to get out of a sticky situation, but the 4s truely has enough power I can confidently get out of almost any situation.
Only other mod that worked very well was using coat hanger wire for the landing gear. The regular kit wire was way too weak. 3" light foam wheels were used, and the gear was raked forward significantly to prevent nose overs in the grass.

It flies absolutely brilliantly now. gradual take offs in short grass look pleasingly scale. slow and steady landings make me look like a hero everytime. Wind was probably gusts t0 20km/h. The plane didnt flinch.
I did add a gyro on the ailerons, but feel it didnt help too much.
I was looking for nice looking, flying plane that i could take down to the local soccer field that would fly slow enough. This fits the bill perfectly.

Thanks FT!

Implicit

New field yesterday (it's closer to home), but it had a couple of poles for floodlights in the middle, which did have me a little concerned.
Nevertheless, we flew around for a bit and I started experiement a bit.
- Rudder seems to easily overpower the aileron and needs be dialed way down.
- It makes some real pretty loops.
- I then did some slow circuits, took it down in a wide circuit, planning to go behind the above mentioned pole...and flew straight into it. Straight as spinner exactly dead on and made an almight 'gong' sound and was pretty much a write-off (It could probably be repaired).
Powerpod sheared off the front mount and the rear BBQ skewer made a 2 inch cut through the rear fuselage. The whole nose was similarly compacted, although I actually did get it mostly straightened out.
Both horizontal struts on the wings broke, but the wings themselves are in good condition.
Most amazing of all: The motor seems fine!.I think the fact that the powerpod got sheared off and that nose acted as a crumble zone saved it. One of the power connecters got torn off too (so much for my soldering), so I couldn't fire it up again, but other than that the powerpod is good.
I did have a handful of modifications/decorations in mind, so this will actually make it easier to do those.

poplharris

Ahhh.... finally good to be in your forums. Bin watching you guys for years. You guys seem to have the same passion for flight as I do. Big fan of RCPowers and now you guys as well. Been Flying for over 10 yrs but my favorite plane has been this RCP F-15 Eagle. Saw your "Will it blend" video and then your Baby blender video where we got to witness the coming of the baby blender. For some reason my wife really liked that. We have been wanting to build a bipe for a long time so I cant think of a better time to get started. Check out my parts. Blue fff no fancy lazer cut parts here. The hardest part of the build so fer has been tapeing together the 27 pages in such a way so I can cut my patters out but thanks for the free plans.
love it
Don
DSCF1969.JPG

Last edited:

poplharris

Heres my fuseloge so far. One cannot express how nice it is to have someone talking me through the build. This thing is Awsome.
Bonkos is like "Im ready" which is a joke of course because everyone knows cats really cant talk. DSCF1997.JPG DSCF1996.JPG

poplharris

Don't know what going on with the top wing. O well that's what they sent us so that's what were going to use. Betcha it aint going to be like this next time. Still doesn't take away from the awesomeness of this plane. DSCF1998.JPG DSCF1999.JPG DSCF2005.JPG

poplharris

You guys don't say much do you. By the way, the issue I had with the wing earlyer was the pattern was cut out wrong mybad. I was playing around with this plane today and come up with this mod of putting some hard points behind the holes for the wing pins. We ordered the suggested parts today for our build and are well on there way. I should have plenty of time to make any necessary tweeks between now and then. thanks
DSCF2009.JPG DSCF2010.JPG DSCF2011.JPG

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Looks like you got the wing sorted out now. Man if she flies as good as she looks...you are going to need a lot more batteries!

Just out of curiosity would it be possible to lengthen the fuse and increase the wingspan slightly on the BBlender? My thinking behind this is a little bit more stability. Watching the videos it seems just a little bit twitchy (I could be way off base here) Maybe even add a tiny bit of dihedral to one or both of the wings?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Just out of curiosity would it be possible to lengthen the fuse and increase the wingspan slightly on the BBlender? My thinking behind this is a little bit more stability. Watching the videos it seems just a little bit twitchy (I could be way off base here) Maybe even add a tiny bit of dihedral to one or both of the wings?
It would probably work in small changes. I'm not sure why, but most bipes are short coupled like that, so it may be an inherent design feature for 2 wings...?

poplharris

Thanks xuzume. Yea its very time consuming for me to tape all those pages together of the tiled plans and I guess part of that wing pattern just sorta got waked off so to speek. Something for the scratch builders to keep in mind I guess. I been thinking about having these plans printed out at the news paper printers or something from now on.
thanks again
Don
DSCF2013.JPG

Ya I'm only thinking a couple of inches larger in length and wingspan. Maybe add some rounded wingtips too :) Just a little back burner idea that I had for winter projects.

ITVirtuoso

Wizard tricks
As if multirotors weren't enough of a suck on the wallet I now feel the need to start building airplanes too!

First airplane build ever! The plans were a bit of a pita, but I'm not going to complain too much. What a great project! I was actually so excited that I took off of work on Friday to start this build. Ran around town gathering up foam board (actually bought Elmers board for $1.50/sheet.) Its not completely finished yet, but this is the progress after 18 hours build time. Still need to finish out the electronics (waiting on servos), linkages / controls and, scrounge up some landing gear.

I'd love to put some more detail into the finishing, but I know its not going to look pretty for too long. I've got no experience flying planes (only quads), so I fully expect to do a lot of high speed landings. I'll probably let my father fly it first so I can actually see it fly, but I'll give it a go!

2013-09-01 06.47.jpg

2013-09-01 06.45.jpg

2013-09-01 06.49.jpg

poplharris

ITVirtuoso are you kidding me, that plane looks great. We finally got our parts today and wasted no time in getting this plane ready to go. A little to late to go fly but did get to do a little taxing around in the street in front of our house. If it isn't raining tomorrow a maiden flight will be the first order of busness.
DSCF2027.JPG

poplharris

Ran our baby blender into a steel light pole on its 3rd flight with the NTM prop drive motor taking the brunt of the impact. There goes 2 weeks for a new motor. In all honesty the plane flew great and Ill probably just need a new powerpod to get her back in the air
DSCF2030.JPG DSCF2031.JPG

Flynn

poplharris, ouch! The best thing about these planes are the turnaround time. Aside from the hardware, you can have it going the next day. I've even repaired mine several times at the field.

I've had good luck with a 1650 kv, 2200 mah, 8X4 prop. I like the bigger battery for the weight in the wind. I do have a 1400 kv suppo and a 1000 kv 24g from HK that I want to try with the 2200 mah and see what times I get.

Also, as a side note, for you newbies like myself, David and Josh both told me "If you can fly the Baby Blender, you can fly any of the swapables"

Attachments

• BBV2.jpg
    BBV2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 26