Flite Test Electrohub Trouble - Flip 1.5 Board

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
What are you doing to arm? Zero throttle and full right yaw? (Left stick to bottom and right until blue LED is on)

When you're connected to the computer over USB, with MultiWiiConf, and a battery connected to the aircraft, do you see the stick movements on the roll, pitch, yaw sliders next to the artificial horizon ball?

Here's a picture of that screen... with the sticks neutral, you should see what's on the following screen, with the values at around 1500 for the PWM values. When you move the sticks, those numbers and the graphic should change.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-point-of-view&p=153443&viewfull=1#post153443

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Try running the MW config program and seeing what kind of values you're getting on the RX channels.

The problem is the more I think about it neither minthrottle nor mincommand is probably right. I'm not sure where Joshbardwell got the quote above but the descriptions from MW 2.3 config.h are:

/**************************** Minthrottle *******************************/
/* Set the minimum throttle command sent to the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller)
This is the minimum value that allow motors to run at a idle speed */

/**************************** Mincommand *******************************/
/* this is the value for the ESCs when they are not armed
in some cases, this value must be lowered down to 900 for some specific ESCs, otherwise they failed to initiate */

Though I have heard of mincommand playing a roll in detecting stick commands so I believe if anything can fix it that is the right one.

I've just never dealt with a radio where you can't adjust the endpoints before. Knowing what actual high/low values you're getting will help though and you should be able to see that in the config program. Plus checking to see what values you're getting will confirm that your RX and MW board are talking to each other correctly.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I can say from personal experience that MINTHROTTLE sets the minimum signal sent to the ESC's. If MINTHROTTLE is too low, the motors will stop at zero throttle. MINTHROTTLE must be set in the GUI on my controller (MW Flip 2.3). The #define in config.h does nothing.

When I move the sticks the values are changing ( It was doing that before I put the new software configured for my radio). So If I am correct the radio is talking to the RX and the FC(MW)
Screenshot (4).png
- This is at neutral for me

And all of the other controls are moving to about 2000
For an example the Screen Capture below is the Right Stick Pushed up to the right.
Screenshot (5).png

/**************************** Minthrottle *******************************/
/* Set the minimum throttle command sent to the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller)
This is the minimum value that allow motors to run at a idle speed */

/**************************** Mincommand *******************************/
/* this is the value for the ESCs when they are not armed
in some cases, this value must be lowered down to 900 for some specific ESCs, otherwise they failed to initiate */

jhitesma - I am using the 4 Pack of F-20A Fire Red series SimonK ESC's from ready to fly quads.

I can say from personal experience that MINTHROTTLE sets the minimum signal sent to the ESC's. If MINTHROTTLE is too low, the motors will stop at zero throttle. MINTHROTTLE must be set in the GUI on my controller (MW Flip 2.3). The #define in config.h does nothing.

What exactly do you change in the GUI( MultiWiiConf ??)??

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
That second screen shot looks funny. If your right stick is pushed all the way to the right, but in the middle of the front/back axis, only the roll bar should move to 2000.

It would be more useful if you did a screen capture of the left stick pulled all the way back (zero throttle) and ail the way right (full right yaw).

You wouldn't change min channel or any of those types of parameters using the arduino ide that you used to flash the new software.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
OK, that's the problem then. Your throttle is going down to 1000...but your yaw isn't going below 1056.

You can try changing mincommand to 1056 or 1060 or so and see if that helps...it might...I'm not 100% sure though.

You may also want to raise minthrottle. Just to be safe I'd change it in the config.h and in the gui. In the gui you have to change to the "settings" tab to get to it.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Here's another quote:

http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4775

The default values for all channels is 1000 min and 2000 max. These are the recommended endpoints.
Then for stick commands (Arm, Acc trimming, etc) in the MultiWii code (file MultiWii.h) the defaults to detect these stick setting are:
#define MINCHECK 1100
#define MAXCHECK 1900

You should first adjust the transmitter setup to try for the 1000 to 2000 on all channels as shown in the mutliwii config. If you can not (I couldn't on a FlySky T6) then change the #defines to be within the min/max endpoints by 100. Since your min throttle is 1050 and max Yaw is 1886, set these to:
#define MINCHECK 1150
#define MAXCHECK 1780
Just remember that these #defines are global and are in effect for all sticks.
You should be able to adjust the transmitter to get 1000 to 2000.

Sounds like MINCHECK and MAXCHECK are the values to change if you cannot get your channel endpoints above/below 1100 and 1900.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
MINCHECK/MAXCHECK - those are the ones I was trying to remember. That's also the thread on the MW forum I was trying to find this afternoon and couldn't.

I think that's the key for you. I just forgot that those weren't in config.h - been too long since I read the MW source and have been playing with BaseFlight and Tau too much the past few months :)

Sorry for contributing to the confusion more than the solution. I think Joshua is 100% correct on this one.

I see that in the version of MW Paul sent you those are changed to:

#define MINCHECK 1250
#define MAXCHECK 1850

The defaults are:
#define MINCHECK 1100
#define MAXCHECK 1900

What's odd on yours is that some channels are going lower/higher than others. With them not all hitting the same end points I'm not sure how well things will work. With your higher min at 1056 I would expect Pauls 1250 min to work. But you can easily raise the maxcheck back to 1900 since it looks like you are getting up to 2000 no problem. You shouldn't need a mincheck higher than 1156 or 1160 or so. Basically you want mincheck to be about 100 higher than your lowest low and maxcheck to be 100 lower than your highest high.

But...the GUI will only show values from 1000-2000 if you're actually going lower than 1000 or higher than 2000 the GUI won't show it. Here's a modified version I was given by one of the MW dev's that will display RX values from 900-2100 so you can check if your radio is doing values outside the normal 1000-2000 range: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ooi50kdptzgjcn/MultiWiiConf.zip?dl=0

I'd say check all of your channels to find the highest high and lowest low then set the min/maxcheck accordingly. If you're not flying a spider setup then I'd probably also start with the stock MW 2.3 source instead of Pauls since his is setup for a Spider quad.

You may also want to double check in config.h that the arm/disarm section is setup as:

/******************************** ARM/DISARM *********************************/
/* optionally disable stick combinations to arm/disarm the motors.
* In most cases one of the two options to arm/disarm via TX stick is sufficient */
#define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_YAW
//#define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_ROLL

It is in Pauls setup. He also has arm/disarm only when flat enabled (which is usually a good thing) so make sure you have the quad flat and try forcing an accel calibration with stick commands. Or at least load up the GUI and use the "calib_acc" button while the quad is setting flat and level. But if the issue is it not arming due to not being level usually you'll see an LED blinking.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Alright great thanks. I will try I tomorrow.

Just to be clear, MINTHROTTLE will not help you at all with your endpoint problem. It's a totally separate parameter. Basically, here is what you do:

First, go to config.h and comment out (put two slashes in front of) #define MOTOR_STOP. This will cause the motors to spin at idle speed whenever the copter is armed. By default, this is disabled, but it may or may not be enabled in your sketch. Flash the firmware.

Leave the FC connected to the USB port. Start up MW Config GUI and connect to the FC.

The next step should be done with the props on. Since you will only be idling up, you probably don't need to secure the copter to the ground. Go to the "Settings" section of MW Config GUI and find the MINTHROTTLE entry. Arm the quad. The motors may or may not spin up, depending on the value of MINTHROTTLE. You want to tweak MINTHROTTLE so that it is just high enough that the motors consistently spin up. This will prevent the FC from ever fully stopping a motor in flight. To change the value of MINTHROTTLE, disarm the quad (motors stop now), tweak the value in MW Config, write the value (important not to forget that step), then re-arm the quad.

Once you have MINTHROTTLE set correctly, you may want to uncomment MOTOR_STOP. Personally, though I like my props to spin whenever the copter is armed, because it means I never get any surprises. I know for sure whether the copter is armed, from a distance or up close.

Just to be clear, MINTHROTTLE will not help you at all with your endpoint problem. It's a totally separate parameter. Basically, here is what you do:

First, go to config.h and comment out (put two slashes in front of) #define MOTOR_STOP. This will cause the motors to spin at idle speed whenever the copter is armed. By default, this is disabled, but it may or may not be enabled in your sketch. Flash the firmware.

Leave the FC connected to the USB port. Start up MW Config GUI and connect to the FC.

The next step should be done with the props on. Since you will only be idling up, you probably don't need to secure the copter to the ground. Go to the "Settings" section of MW Config GUI and find the MINTHROTTLE entry. Arm the quad. The motors may or may not spin up, depending on the value of MINTHROTTLE. You want to tweak MINTHROTTLE so that it is just high enough that the motors consistently spin up. This will prevent the FC from ever fully stopping a motor in flight. To change the value of MINTHROTTLE, disarm the quad (motors stop now), tweak the value in MW Config, write the value (important not to forget that step), then re-arm the quad.

Once you have MINTHROTTLE set correctly, you may want to uncomment MOTOR_STOP. Personally, though I like my props to spin whenever the copter is armed, because it means I never get any surprises. I know for sure whether the copter is armed, from a distance or up close.

So this is done after I change the Min/Max Check right?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
So this is done after I change the Min/Max Check right?

Yeah. Because if you don't either change your TX endpoints (which it seems like you can't do) or change MIN/MAXCHECK, then you can't arm the board at all.

BTW, on a side note, if your transmitter endpoints are this far off from that the MW is doing, make sure you have calibrated your ESC's using the ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY method before doing this, and definitely before flying.

REMOVE YOUR PROPS BEFORE USING ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I don't know if you need to change minthrottle -- as joshuabardwell pointed out, we mentioned it by mistake -- Paul would have setup the minthrottle value to work with the ESC's and motors from his kit, which I believe you're using. That said, it wouldn't hurt to verify it, but this won't solve your arming issue. He was supplying this information to further clarify what minthrottle is for and how you'd set it.

I would follow jhitesmas detailed advice on checking your rcinputs -- maybe even with that debug code, and setting min/maxcheck based on what you find.

At this point i am clueless. Keep in mind i have not changed anything yet not even the min/maxcheck So I just downloaded new Muliwii Config software jhitesma recommend
Here's a modified version I was given by one of the MW dev's that will display RX values from 900-2100 so you can check if your radio is doing values outside the normal 1000-2000 range: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ooi50kdpt...iConf.zip?dl=0

I started with turning on my controller and then started up Multiwii config. I Connected the Quad via USB to my PC and then the battery. And to my surprise the front left and back left motors started up. The Back right and Front Right seemed to have trouble they kept spinning in spurts.

I then tried to recreate what i did with no success. I was just woundering if this is normal and if min/max check would cause this?