Flite Test is Awesome and Just Getting Started

bacpck

Ok, I have been lurking here for a long time (well over a year). I have watched probably every video Flite Test has done and I would like to say thank you for a wonderful, helpful show. I have always wanted to get into RC flight stuff but have been reluctant due to the initial start up cost of really getting into the hobby (tools to build on top of equipment etc).

Thanks so much for showing me it is possible without breaking the bank. I have scratch built the three swappable planes FT Delta (x2), FT Flyer (x2) and the Nutball (x2). I have also started on my quad.

I beefed up the power pod by fully taping it and adding popsicle sticks to reinforce the skewer holes and fully taping it and using glue on all of the exposed edges. I have also glued all the edges of my plane to keep the paper down as well as beefing it up with tape. I will also give them a light spray of waterproofing when done to help with moisture (wet grass, etc).

I am concerned that my builds weigh more than most and wonder how that will affect me using the LazerToys swappable kit. I hope I am not underpowered, any thoughts?

pictures of what I have built so far.

other photos here..... https://www.flickr.com/photos/25416197@N00/sets/72157642693460153/

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Welcome to the forum
I also build heavy and look real close at the recommended set up then try to get a motor just slightly more powerful to make up for the extra weight. Use the 100 watt per pound method and you may have to throttle down just a bit but they will fly for you.
Good luck

bacpck

Ron B, thanks for the response. I will post some pictures of my power pod modification later. I did realize that the popsicle stick reinforcements glued to the inside of the pod causes some fit issues on the FT Flyer but nothing that cant be overcome.

I know I will probably destroy these learning how to fly. I just did not want to go through some of the issues I have read about (skewer holes opening up, wet grass or loose paper at edges causing the paper to delaminate etc.)

I also wanted my power pods to be very durable, I made two and don't mind making more but I want them to last for a little while at least.

Last edited:
Throw a battery in and go fly! - be prepared to crash but don't get discouraged, bring extra props, and tape. the FT planes are foam planes, if you crash they will bend squish and break, but as you fly better there will be less repairs. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. My bloody wonder is literally being held together with duct tape and I've done extra hot glue repairs and with the 24g motor it flies great in 10+mph winds with a 7x5 prop. my FT22's front end looks like an accordion and it still flies great and I've added tons of glue and tape and skewers to repair and reinforce. I've built a total of 7 FT planes and I'm ready to fly more than build so I've been less worried about the looks as long as they fly (mostly straight) I'll keep tossing them in the air!!!

HOWEVER the FT flyer won't do so well in that kind of wind you'll have better luck with the FT delta (I've never flown the nut ball). I highly recommended the Bloody Wonder (with the 24g motor), it won't self right so for some it might be a difficult starter BUT it won't stall either. I pulled back the throttle and with some up elevator it just glides, it's awesome.

good luck

-Jes

bacpck

Thanks for the info, I am probably over thinking the issue.

I was thinking about building a Bloody Wonder, so I may go with your suggestion.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I started out last summer the same way. I had never flown an RC plane before and I was incredibly nervous about crashing. But, after I got the first one in the air, and crashed it a few seconds later, I was hooked. My initial mistakes were all related to running a 500mah 2S battery with a Blue Wonder on a Nutball and Flyer. I figured since that's what was on the plans, it would be best for a beginner like me. Once I switched to 850mah 3S LiPo's it was a whole new animal. By that time I had gone through a few air frames, but I learned a lot from those first few builds.

I did okay with the Flyer and the Delta. But, in my opinion, I really learned to FLY with the Bloody Wonder. It is still one of my favorite planes to fly. It isn't that intimidating with minimal throws and a Blue Wonder setup.

Expect to crash, repair, rebuild, and repeat. I was flying streamer combat, and winning a few of them, in less than 3 months.

Tactical Ex

The Bloody Wonder has become my favorite as of now and I'm sure it will be yours too if you build one. I got a larger power plant on mine now (NTM 2826 1200kv) and its so much more efficient and powerful. All of my builds are heavy and over-enforced but I don't have any issues with weight or balance, you should be fine using a similar motor. I would like to point out that you might want to consider adding popsicle sticks at the top of the power pod above the ones you have in the front. I didn't have any mods on my power pod when I ran my BW into the dirt. It accordion squished the front in and it will do more to yours in such an event because you have reinforcement on the bottom. Balance the reinforcement out and you'll be glad you did. Your off to a great start by the looks of your craftsmanship and power pod mods so don't be afraid you are overthinking it.

BTW, your popsicle reinforcements for the landing gear was a good idea I'm going to copy because my skewers are getting more and more wiggle room.

bacpck

Thanks for the kind words, the planes could have been built a bit better but they are not to bad. I will add some reinforcement at the top per your suggestion. I can wait to get a transmitter and try these out.

Added reinforcement at the top.

Used the Dremel on the back reinforcements for more clearance when installed on the FT Flyer.

Last edited:

Tactical Ex

Yup, that's what I was talking about. That should save you some headaches later on. One thing I found out the hard way is that the places just outside of your hard points are the most likely to give in a crash so strength needs to be distributed evenly or you need to build a weak point. Your power pods look solid now and the weak point is now the half way mark between the connecting notches but that is OK because the plane fuselage will brace the gap.

bacpck

Thanks again, I do believe in making the stresses even as possible for anything.

I know I am going to crash these a lot and hope my extra work will pay off with the equipment lasting longer. I think I need to pick up a extra bunch of props. I will have a transmitter by Wednesday and hopefully will be getting my power kit from LazerToyz shortly. I cannot wait to give them a try, I just need to center my servos and install those and the pushrods, get the esc and motor on and I should be good to fly/crash.

bacpck

Ok, So the planes are built. Servos are centered and I have installed the push rods. I get no push or noise from the servos when they are at neutral but the rods are bending quite a bit as they move back and forth on the delta. I am still getting good throw but wonder if the bending of the rods is normal.

I just need to solder up the bullet and battery connector on the ESC and I will be out trying these this weekend. Does anyone have any more suggestions or thoughts?

Suggestions for expo and rates?

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Bending control rods normal? Well, yes. Good? No.

Couple of things you can do:

- Check your linkage stoppers -- if they dont rotate freely in the control horns, they're too tight. disconnect them form the horn and widen the hole a touch more with a small drill bit, then re-install.

- if the linkages rotate freely in the horns, perhaps your control rod is a touch flimsy for the length? You can either tie on a BBQ skewer with thread/floss and dab on some thin CA to stiffen everything up.

- or tie a small ziptie loosly around the middle of the rod, cut the tie's tail off at 1/4" with an angle and poke it through the fuealage nearest the center of the rod. Pull the it out, add a dab of hot glue and reinsert in the new hole. Think bicycle break cables -- the rod doesn't have to be straight to work, it just has to not change it's flex mid-throw.

bacpck

CraftyDan you are right on point. I have my linkage stoppers way to tight and they do not move. I tried getting them to line up but that does not work so well. I will get those corrected and also add some support, I was thinking about a combination of ziptie and cocktail straw/stirrer. I am pretty excited to go out and crash up some planes learning. I have spare planes (2 of each) a spare powerpod and 10 props, hopefully i am good to go.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sounds like it! Good luck on the Maiden!

. . . and get a video/pictures of it if you can con someone into going along -- it won't be your best flight by far (unless it's your last), but it's not a bad thing to capture and share :)

bacpck

Will do, I have also had Facebook requests for the Maiden flights (I live and will be flying in Maidens as well :).

It wont be my last and i figure it will be bad, its all in good fun. I think the wife may join me and she can video.

Tactical Ex

Your power pod is so beefed up I think you will run through all of your planes before needing that second power pod. BTW, I used your popsicle re-enforcement method for the landing gear skewers and connector skewer. I made those mods and new landing gear last night!

bacpck

TacticalEx, awesome let me know how they work out for you. I believe you are probably right but better safe than sorry, once i get the opportunity to fly I want to have some solid goes at it. Heck a spare Power Pod is a good thing, maybe I will put one of the bigger motors I have on the other one.

bacpck

So, tried to go out Saturday and was having problems with the delta. every time I moved the control surfaces it would dive hard towards the ground. It was actually pretty gusty so I decided to go home and double check everything as it was supposed to be much better the next day.

I was tweaking the control surfaces on the other planes and decided to try real short runs with the Nutball to see if I could trim it up a little. I used a grassy section behind my fence that is fairly wide and well protected by trees on one side. I placed the Nutball and wound it up and it just rolled like 4-5 feet and was airborne. I ran it about 20 yards or so and shut it down. I did a bunch of these short straight runs, playing with the battery placement and doing some gently turns back and forth. Got into a little trouble once or twice, did a turn back towards myself came back over my pool and fence, got into trouble when I turned again as I stuck it up in a tree. Little application of the pool hook and extension pole and I was back in charge of my Nutball. I am amazed how durable these things are and how good a hit they will take.

Sunday I did some stuff around the house and waited until the wind was supposed to be at its calmest. They were a bit variable at 2-4mps and moving around with occasional gusts. I flew, I crashed I broke a few props but I had a blast. It is very obvious that I need a lot more sim time to build muscle memory. I am fine as long as everything is going perfect. If she is flying at me and things start to go bad (stall, bad wind gust or just heading the wrong way) I get anxious forget that the controls are reversed and make things worse.

I may also be using to much power, I noticed how well it glided when the motor was shut down.

I tried out the Delta again and nosedived it into the ground, that pod will actually need to have the motor mount reglued but everything else survived.

Good day and a learning experience for sure.

I also believe I may have to much slop in my clevis connections.

lorencv

I have all my ordered electronics arriving Saturday. I have been lurking as well and watching a lot of the videos. I can't wait for my son and I to start building the Blunt Nose Versa Wing and flying it. I am in Illinois. Nice job on your builds. Where did you get your foam from?

bacpck

I got the foam board from our local Dollar Tree. Get to building and get out there and give it a shot. I learned a lot from my first builds and first attempt at flights. I want to do some adjustments to the planes and get out and try some more. Getting the CG in the correct place is very critical for good flight.