Fly-Boy balsa build

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
My last balsa build was a Dynaflite Wanderer in 1986. I flew it until I joined the Army in 1987.

I wanted something reasonably simple to get back in the game with so I picked up the The Fly-Boy by Guillow, an old school rubber powered model. It is the most advanced build in the Guillow beginner's section.

This kit has lazer cut ribs so I wouldn't have to cut my own.

The AUW of this is 50 grams. Probably heavy due to the 'dope' I coated all the tissue with. I am pretty pleased with the kit and hope to maiden the model soon.

Final build pics:
Pre-MaidenTop.JPG
Pre-MaidenSide.JPG

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I fixed the wing. Maybe this photo of the repaired wing will show it better.

StraightWing.JPG

I removed a few 32nds from the leading edge and added a shim to the trailing edge to swing the tip of the wing forward. The trailing edge on this is not straight. It leans forward at the dihedral.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I have some updated photos showing the doping. I mixed Elmer's white glue with water 50/50 and brushed it on.

After the dope dried and the tissue was stretched, I have gone back and painted all the tissue with the dope. There is still a slight warp to the center wing section that I am going to try to pull out by re-doping that section and pinning it in place. Hopefully the tissue will pull it back to true again.

Doping1.JPG Doping2.JPG Doping3.JPG

This glue looks horrid when wet on the tissue. Gotta be careful to only do one side at a time as it causes the tissue to sag. You can see here where the sag caused the tissue to stick to spars I don't want it to stick to in the center wing section on the left side. Dunno if re-doping will soften up the glue enough to get it to release the spar, but we will see later after work.

Doped1.JPG Doped2.JPG Doped3.JPG Doped4.JPG

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I've found that the cheap single edged razor's are great for cutting balsa. Way cheaper than x-acto blades so I don't mind tossing them as soon as they start to loose their edge - but they also seem to hold their edge longer.

I've also found that the larger x-acto blades in the larger handle are much easier my hands now. I mostly use the #2 blades in a #5 handle (the #2 is like the #11 only larger) and find they give me more control and seem to stay sharp longer than the #11's.

But overall a good sharp blade is key to not crushing the balsa.

Started working on clearing off my table this past weekend so I can make more progress on my RV-3 soon. But with my wrist still bugging me not sure how quickly I'll be digging back in.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
As someone who has covered literally hundreds of model airplanes with tissue...

Don't coat the tissue with glue. That just adds massive amounts of completely unnecessary weight. Contrary to popular belief, not even dope is needed if you're going to fly in reasonably dry conditions. Weight is the enemy of performance.

Make the whole nose block assembly removable, not just the tiny thrust button up front. You want plenty of room to access the motor and room for it to fit back in as you wind it up. Also lets you have more precise adjustments as you shim in right and down thrust to set your right turning circle and trim away from stalls under power. Use an aluminum tube for the rear peg so you can slide a metal pin through that and then have someone hold it (better, put it in a fixture) while you stretch the motor out to wind it up.

Trim the glide by putting the CG about 40% of root wing chord back from the leading edge and then shimming the stab up or down to eliminate stalls or dives in glide. Never move the CG, and always verify it when changing rubber motors.

Some things worth getting to help this along: go to volareproducts.com and buy a 5:1 or 10:1 winder, a tube of Dow-33 rubber lube, and a small box of 1/8" Tan Super Sport rubber. The latter is by far the most important. The rubber included in most model kits these days is fit only for folding newspapers together. Tan SS is literally the best rubber ever produced in human history in terms of energy capacity.

Oh, trimming for power. Prior to trimming the glide, make a loop of rubber 3 times the length of the distance from the front hook to the rear peg. Attach the loop to something solid and wind in about 75 turns (in the same direction as you would wind the motor for flight). Bring the two ends of the loop together so that it grapvines into a shorter motor of 4 strands (equal to a doubled up loop). This rubber motor will now tension itself to the proper distance from hook to peg without bunching in one spot and shifting your CG. Load the motor aboard... Balance and trim the glide as said before. Get a wide right turn going in the glide using rudder trim. Oppose it slightly with an aileron tab on the right wing tip (left aileron deflection). Now start by cranking in about 100 turns. The model will probably pitch up into a stall. If it does, add a 1/32" shim to the top of the nose opening. If it stalls without any tendency to pull to the right, instead add a shim to the left side of said opening so that the prop points slightly to the left. Add more power. If the model pulls too hard to the right, reduce the right thrust shim (or add left thrust if you haven't added a right thrust shim). If it pitches straight up into a stall, add right thrust. And if it pitches into a stall and yaws to the right without recovering quickly, add downthrust. And on it goes until you've got it flying as long as you safely can in your field.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
As someone who has covered literally hundreds of model airplanes with tissue...

Don't coat the tissue with glue. That just adds massive amounts of completely unnecessary weight. Contrary to popular belief, not even dope is needed if you're going to fly in reasonably dry conditions. Weight is the enemy of performance.

Make the whole nose block assembly removable, not just the tiny thrust button up front. You want plenty of room to access the motor and room for it to fit back in as you wind it up. Also lets you have more precise adjustments as you shim in right and down thrust to set your right turning circle and trim away from stalls under power. Use an aluminum tube for the rear peg so you can slide a metal pin through that and then have someone hold it (better, put it in a fixture) while you stretch the motor out to wind it up.

Trim the glide by putting the CG about 40% of root wing chord back from the leading edge and then shimming the stab up or down to eliminate stalls or dives in glide. Never move the CG, and always verify it when changing rubber motors.

Some things worth getting to help this along: go to volareproducts.com and buy a 5:1 or 10:1 winder, a tube of Dow-33 rubber lube, and a small box of 1/8" Tan Super Sport rubber. The latter is by far the most important. The rubber included in most model kits these days is fit only for folding newspapers together. Tan SS is literally the best rubber ever produced in human history in terms of energy capacity.

Oh, trimming for power. Prior to trimming the glide, make a loop of rubber 3 times the length of the distance from the front hook to the rear peg. Attach the loop to something solid and wind in about 75 turns (in the same direction as you would wind the motor for flight). Bring the two ends of the loop together so that it grapvines into a shorter motor of 4 strands (equal to a doubled up loop). This rubber motor will now tension itself to the proper distance from hook to peg without bunching in one spot and shifting your CG. Load the motor aboard... Balance and trim the glide as said before. Get a wide right turn going in the glide using rudder trim. Oppose it slightly with an aileron tab on the right wing tip (left aileron deflection). Now start by cranking in about 100 turns. The model will probably pitch up into a stall. If it does, add a 1/32" shim to the top of the nose opening. If it stalls without any tendency to pull to the right, instead add a shim to the left side of said opening so that the prop points slightly to the left. Add more power. If the model pulls too hard to the right, reduce the right thrust shim (or add left thrust if you haven't added a right thrust shim). If it pitches straight up into a stall, add right thrust. And if it pitches into a stall and yaws to the right without recovering quickly, add downthrust. And on it goes until you've got it flying as long as you safely can in your field.

Gonna take me a WHILE to understand this.

Thank you. :)

Do you use dope or glue to cover the plane with tissue? If dope, where do you source it?

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
And you thought it was going to be easier than R/C. ;)

I plan to merge the two and make my balsa builds R/C. I have a P40 Warhawk and P51 Mustang coming along with a bunch of spare balsa for making control surfaces. I also have a stack of 2.5g servos. Neither kit has control surfaces.

This model is just for catching up from 1986 and getting used to working with balsa again. The foamies just weren't much challenge to build (other than burning my fingers with hot glue). Besides, Soma hasn't come out with the Alien yet and copters are expensive.

This opens up a whole new path for me to learn and grow and break stuff. :)

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I've found that the cheap single edged razor's are great for cutting balsa. Way cheaper than x-acto blades so I don't mind tossing them as soon as they start to loose their edge - but they also seem to hold their edge longer.

I've also found that the larger x-acto blades in the larger handle are much easier my hands now. I mostly use the #2 blades in a #5 handle (the #2 is like the #11 only larger) and find they give me more control and seem to stay sharp longer than the #11's.

But overall a good sharp blade is key to not crushing the balsa.

Started working on clearing off my table this past weekend so I can make more progress on my RV-3 soon. But with my wrist still bugging me not sure how quickly I'll be digging back in.

Got some new #2s and #11s. So far the #11s are cutting MUCH better but I think the real issue is that I need to slow down. :)

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
And you thought it was going to be easier than R/C. ;)

Honestly, it is easier. If you crash, the plane just bounces. There's a lot to be said for that. It does teach a whole new understanding of how aircraft really fly. And it gets really addictive.

Gonna take me a WHILE to understand this.

Thank you. :)

Do you use dope or glue to cover the plane with tissue? If dope, where do you source it?

I highly recommend a visit to hippocketaeronautics.com where there is a burgeoning free flight community. Lots of expertise there, and most of them don't go red neck in their building style like I do. And they're usually easier to understand than me. ;)

Dope is available from a variety of sources. Sig sells it in small containers for modelers, but Aircraft Spruce is the ultimate source, where you can buy it in buckets if need be. See, the cool thing is that they seal full scale airplanes with the stuff too!

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Honestly, it is easier. If you crash, the plane just bounces. There's a lot to be said for that. It does teach a whole new understanding of how aircraft really fly. And it gets really addictive.

I was just giving cranial a hard time. I grew up building and flying indoor and outdoor free flights with my dad. He created some very successful custom designs. Too bad he didn't save any of the plans. I got him a Fairchild balsa kit for his 70th birthday and he did an amazing job on it. Now he's starting a free flight glider.

I'll get back into balsa when I have a nice workspace to build long projects. For now I do all my work on the kitchen table so I have to pick it all up by dinner time. :)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I was just giving cranial a hard time. I grew up building and flying indoor and outdoor free flights with my dad. He created some very successful custom designs. Too bad he didn't save any of the plans. I got him a Fairchild balsa kit for his 70th birthday and he did an amazing job on it. Now he's starting a free flight glider.

I'll get back into balsa when I have a nice workspace to build long projects. For now I do all my work on the kitchen table so I have to pick it all up by dinner time. :)

I just got to a place where I have the ability to do a project like this too. You need time, money and space. Most of us get that from private funds and that can be the biggest barrier to this hobby.

My pop built drones for the Navy to shoot down (big budget!). I don't get to see any of his plans, but I have the propeller from an autogyro he built for Douglass circa 1958. It was a remote controlled model that used a 4' prop and a 32' rotor. They turned the prop into a clock that all his team signed when he left for Northrop.

That clock was in pop's home workshop until his death on January 8th 2015. It is now on my wall in my shop as I am the only one in the family who knows what it is. I grew up making rockets and planes and my own ammo. I have both eyes and all my digits and I have pop to thank for that.

By the time he passed (87) he had forgotten more about flight than I will likely ever know.

Free flight is a lot like ballistics. You have to be far more meticulous with the build because you can't correct mid-flight.

I like copters and I like planes. I am building both and getting better every time (if I do say so myself).

Someday, I will build an autogyro (smaller than pops). I'm not ready yet. I still have to be able to understand FAI-F1D's post first. :)

Last edited:

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
FAI-F1D - thanks for that share. The thing about trying to gather info from the internet is that there are so many separated bits of wisdom - usually - that you really notice when somebody offers up some connected gems. You offered up a season of "getting familiar with" on your post - much appreciated. I'm sure that represents a lifetime of involvement. What I love about modeling (aircraft, of course, not fashion) is when I take a look into one of its many branches the amount of accumulated knowledge/skill/chicanery that it takes to master is really admirable. I shot a lot of photos at the Cole and Rita Palen Memorial FF event this spring at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome and am figuring out what and how to bring planes next year. There were some real beauties, some real flyers, and a lot of collegiality with sharing experience and info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRW-OQL6GY

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Nice job, Peter. I recognized some of the planes...probably shared the air with them back in 2010 at Geneseo.

All of y'all clearly have a fantastic connection to historic model and full scale aviation. Although I inherited an aviation legacy, neither Dad nor Grandpa got into model flying very much, though they both dabbled a little.

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
I really liked the vibe around rubber free flight. A lot of care and in most instances decades of experience. You have the gent building and flying models who is building the ORA Spirit of St Louis. That's not a miniature - that's the full-scale replica! Just the sheet aluminum shaping for the cowl is a work of art on that. I understand wings have been covered and many other items are moving ahead on the SoSLouis after a decade of inactivity.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I'm getting in some build time today.

I trimmed the tissue for the fuselage and have started covering it. The plans for this kit come with instructions even I can understand.

It is amazing how much easier it is to trim tissue and cut balsa with new blades for the X-Acto!
TrimmingTissue2.JPG

DopingFuselage1.JPG

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Now getting REALLY ambitious.

Decals!

Decals.JPG

Dunno why I blew that left star. It should be on the underside of the wing, dangit. :black_eyed:

These should look better once they dry. I really, really hope!

Yeah, I really am tempting the balsa gods here. I am almost assured to break something on the maiden once I try to 'fancy it up'. :)

Last edited: