Balsa RC Scratch Build Recommendations Sought

FL-Hawkeye

I am looking for suggestions on a RC scratch build.

Here are my requirements:

1. Balsa build

2. Electric, 3 channels (Throttle, Elevator, Rudder)

3. Old timer classic look.

4. Easy to fly (slow flyer, easy to set up and trim, can handle a breeze)

5. Scratch build with good plans available. Outerzone? I have access to a large format printer. I might consider a kit.

6. If the plans have the RC details, that would be a plus. But if RC installation would be uncomplicated for a novice RC builder, that would be fine also.

7. Online build details would be a nice (build thread or website documented build) . But, if the build is intuitive that's all I need.

I have built 5 stick and tissue free flight kit planes. I'm reasonably good at balsa building. I am teaching myself to fly RC. Been flying a simple cub, RC simulator and just finished a Flight Test foam build as my 2nd RC plane.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mark

speedbirdted

Legendary member
King Burd

I would say this definitely satisfies your criteria. It was originally designed as 0 channel, aka free flight, and adding rudder and elevator is not too hard. Was designed for crappy 1930s gas engines, so the power requirements are minimal and it's very slow. In addition, it's a very simple design, all stick except for the wing ribs, and can be entirely built "over the plans" with no weird compound curved sections (and for the fuselage, really no curves in general!) 60 inches is in that perfect "sweet spot" for size if you ask me - it's large enough to require no neurosurgeon-level precision anywhere, yet small enough that it's not hard to transport it. If you want bigger though I think there's a version with a 100" span which is basically the same airplane, just bigger. Outerzone doesn't have it for some reason, but I think it's called the Big Burd or something of that nature.

I actually have one. Mine was built in the mid 90s by a guy who unfortunately passed a couple years ago. Originally it had a .15 glow in the nose but I converted it to electric after a crash, and it shouldn't be too hard to modify the plans to incorporate this from the get-go. It has some other modifications, like the tail is secured with rubber bands so it can be taken off for transport. It uses pull-pull control for the rudder and elevator. I'm very tempted to build one myself someday....

P_20200830_185416 (1).jpg

Last edited:

FL-Hawkeye

Randy Randolph’s “Bee-Tween” has always had a special place in my heart.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8770

Edit: I realize the original was not electric, but conversion would be very simple.

Conversions are fine! I realize "old timer" designs are not going to be electric unless someone updates the design. It looks interesting, I never thought about a low wing old timer trainer.

Thanks for the input!

Mark

TooJung2Die

Master member
Just pick any old timer that looks good to you and build. Converting old timer free flight airplanes from the 1930's and 40's to 3 channel RET radio control is easy and in my experience results in a relaxing to fly airplane that will glide forever. I didn't scratch build any of these but the kits were printed wood so all the parts had to be cut by hand. You can't get much closer to pure scratch built than that. These are all around 36" wingspan.
So-Long, Contest Commercial, Twin Cyclone:

IMG_2123crop.jpg

FL-Hawkeye

I appreciate the thoughtful replies. I'm going to definitely build an old timer electric conversion.

However, a Sig/Herr breezy day cub kit just fell into my lap. I was talking to a guy I know at the park I fly at who had one and said he will never build it, so, for a few bucks it is now mine.

So, I'll be giving that a go. I will certainly be back to you folks soon with some build questions.

Mark

TooJung2Die

Master member
However, a Sig/Herr breezy day cub kit just fell into my lap.
Lucky you!
I browsed an RCGroups build thread and watched the flight video of a Breezy Day Cub. It's an easy to build and easy to fly park flier. It fits all your expectations except for the scratch built part. AUW came in at 6.25 ounces which is excellent for an RC airplane in the 36" wingspan range. Don't over power it. It only needs a motor in the 250 range.