Flyer with ailerons

pdracer24

20140511_214254.jpg

Finally got to maiden the ft flyer with ailerons. Great addition to this model for sure. Super tight barrel rolls and excellent handling. Minus the f22 and spitfire, this is quickley becoming one of my favorite foamies.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Nice! I think I will be doing this when I build my Flyer. Are those extended arms on the aileron servo?

Last edited:

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
I am teaching a new pilot and hes mastered the flyer so this I think will be a great way to teach him aileron control without scaring him with a new airframe

Tactical Ex

I think that's awesome. Wouldn't you want to reduce the dihedral when adding ailerons so the rudder has more Y axis control than Z axis control?

pdracer24

I think that's awesome. Wouldn't you want to reduce the dihedral when adding ailerons so the rudder has more Y axis control than Z axis control?

I'm guessing you could do that but it flies just fine with what the plans call for. I wasn't real sure how it was going to work out but its fun and agile to say the least.

Nice, i've been thinking why not add ailerons on the ft-flyer. Good job, I might do this same thing when it's time to redo my flyer.

lazermule

That looks great! I think I'll add them to mine as well. Is there anything you'd do differently? Looks like you angle cut the outboard side and put a straight cut on the inboard side? Any significance to that?

Thanks,

LM

pdracer24

That looks great! I think I'll add them to mine as well. Is there anything you'd do differently? Looks like you angle cut the outboard side and put a straight cut on the inboard side? Any significance to that?

Thanks,

LM

Nope. That was a mistake on my part. I wanted to angle them both but messed up on the first one so I just made them even. Cant say it affects anything but the next one will be angled on both ends so I can compare tye difference.

lazermule

Not really related to ailerons, but here's something I added to my FT Flyer that I'd like to share. I picked up some 3/8" foam (it's very light) round weather strip and hot glued it to the leading edge. I then ran a course of tape over it to finish it off. It certainly cleans up the leading edge a bit and the plane seems to handle better at higher speed. I used glow in the dark tape and it really shows up well in low light. One caution is to run the glue gun on low temp or let the glue lay a moment or two as the weather stripping is very sensitive to heat and will melt. I put it on the leading edge of the wing and the rudder and I think I'll add it to the leading edge of the elevator. It also helps protect the edges on those not so perfect landings. Here are some pictures:
The Weather Stripping:
FT weather strip.jpg

Here it is attached to the wing:
FT Leading edge.jpg

Here it is finished with the tape over it:
FT Flyer 2.jpg

LM

MT Alex

Nice job, LM, I like the foam on the leading edges. I think I may give that a shot on the next F22 I build.

Barto

Aileron Trainer - FT Flyer

View attachment 23391

Finally got to maiden the ft flyer with ailerons. Great addition to this model for sure. Super tight barrel rolls and excellent handling. Minus the f22 and spitfire, this is quickley becoming one of my favorite foamies.

I've been building and flying for a very long time now, and I can't say enough good things about the FT Flyer/Blue Dart design. In my opinion, it offers the best first build/fly experience possible. Add ailerons, and you have the best 4 channel trainer I have ever flown. Other planes have advantages in one aspect or another, but none offer the total package that the Flyer does.

Beginners: Go build/fly one this weekend!

Experienced Pilots: Add ailerons and I guarantee it will put a smile on your face!

No matter how long you have been flying, the FT Flyer has enough options to keep you interested. As your skills increase you can: add ailerons, add steerable nose gear, add retracts, increase the throws and learn 3D, add bamboo skewers to the leading edge and fly combat, teach someone else to fly....

The possibilities are endless from $2 worth of foam board. Check it out soon!

pdracer24

I've been building and flying for a very long time now, and I can't say enough good things about the FT Flyer/Blue Dart design. In my opinion, it offers the best first build/fly experience possible. Add ailerons, and you have the best 4 channel trainer I have ever flown. Other planes have advantages in one aspect or another, but none offer the total package that the Flyer does.

Beginners: Go build/fly one this weekend!

Experienced Pilots: Add ailerons and I guarantee it will put a smile on your face!

No matter how long you have been flying, the FT Flyer has enough options to keep you interested. As your skills increase you can: add ailerons, add steerable nose gear, add retracts, increase the throws and learn 3D, add bamboo skewers to the leading edge and fly combat, teach someone else to fly....

The possibilities are endless from $2 worth of foam board. Check it out soon!

Couldn't agree more. I added the Skewers for added strength and man have they paid off. Yesterday I had a little landing issue at our local high school track. Came in a little hot and slammed into a hurdle, NOTHING. Few flights later I ended up in the fence and still NOTHING. I wish my f-22 was as strong as the flyer. I think when I get home today I will be building the Bloody Wonder to see how it compares. I have also talked three other people into building a Flyer as a first plane, can you say COMBAT!

I might have to try the steerable nose wheel as well.