FLYING WING 2 new tools to enjoy flying in the wind

L Edge

Master member
Don't know about you, but most days the wind blows at my flying spots. With a swept wing and only elevons, this means trouble. Crosswinds and gusts are trouble from the time you launch to the time you try to land it, Most wings need a large arena and height because of poor stability. So I decided to see what is available to

Tool 1) Improve yaw and have a trim function.
Tool 2) Increase stability and reduce the area needed to fly slow or fast in the windy conditions even in crosswinds.

YAW
My version is tried and true being an actual rudder that I just call the "UDDER RUDDER" that will work in front of the prop as well as behind the prop. Here are 2 examples showing it's setup.

delta udder.jpg

Look in front of the prop and you will see the movable rudder(servo is embedded in structure) that took an elevon setup and made this 3 axis plane that can do wonders in the wind. It also gave it real good stability when doing high alphas where you can really steer it around like nothing.

Here is one where the Udder Rudder is behind the prop and the plane has a 20 degree dihedral (it tends to level itself) and using the rudder gives it precise turns in high winds or crosswind landings. Please look at bottom of thread for picture.(aft rudder)

So, will it work on a swept wing? Heck yes, not only makes it a 3 axis control, but you can tune it in for trim in the yaw axis.

Will it work on your design? Heck yes, I will show you how easy it is. The only thing you need to understand is how to use the rudder. Cross winds are a snap and you can land in front of you and not turn into the wind. It also improves the in-flight acrobatics now that it is 3 axis. So try it and see what you think of it.

How to build it.

t elevator.jpg

Here it is put together to show how simple it is made. I use bass wood for the base, 2 pieces of white foam to hold the engine mount and frame. The distance between the 2 pieces of foam allows for the servo and a gap to glue it into place. Where the servo is placed depends on the rudder before it is glued in.

underside side.JPG

ur first.jpg

I use a E Flite 1360 kv motor and prop of 8 x 3/8. I used piece of blue foam between frame and servo to proper position servo rudder height. Make your rudder so it is just as high as prop and shape it.
Next, take a long servo arm and hot glue to the bottom of rudder so it look like this. Don't glue center of servo arm so you can attach the rudder screw!!! It should look like this.

urside servo.jpg

Notice small hole that allows you to tighten the screw to the servo spline. Try to position the hole so it half way across the rudder base. Will it loosen up and go into the prop? Not if you place a 1/2 inch gap, glue it properly and take you time.

I ended up moving the whole unit closer to the CG due to the additional weight. After you sure everything balances out, I glued the whole unit. Why use hot glue?, I found that this is the weak link if the prop digs in on landing. it doesn't tear up the foam.

So if you are unhappy with yaw problems and tough landings in the wind, why not adapt it on your swept wing. 3 axis flying is better that 2 axis flying.

If you are really wanting to fly a swept wing in wind in a small area (fast and slow) that has stability, try tool #2.

fw.jpg

Attachments

• aft rudder.jpg
    aft rudder.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: