Flysky i6x with eachine x220s range issue

userix

I have been flying around a large field area and have been noticing I lose RX at a fairly close range, causing the quad to failsafe and tumble to the ground. I would estimate maybe 500ft away, and roughly 50ft up in the air. It would lose RX when flying out about the same range. I have clear LOS during the whole flight. I think the i6x transmitter should has good range, at least better than what I am experiencing.

Does battery voltage have any effect on transmitting range, like the less energy is left in the AAs, the weaker the transmitting signal? But then again, when I had fresh batteries in the transmitter, it still lost RX at the same range.

I even tried the antenna upgrade mod and didn't seem to make any difference in the range. The receiver antenna and module look good and no visible damage to the rx antenna coming out of the quad.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I have been flying around a large field area and have been noticing I lose RX at a fairly close range, causing the quad to failsafe and tumble to the ground. I would estimate maybe 500ft away, and roughly 50ft up in the air. It would lose RX when flying out about the same range. I have clear LOS during the whole flight. I think the i6x transmitter should has good range, at least better than what I am experiencing.

Does battery voltage have any effect on transmitting range, like the less energy is left in the AAs, the weaker the transmitting signal? But then again, when I had fresh batteries in the transmitter, it still lost RX at the same range.

I even tried the antenna upgrade mod and didn't seem to make any difference in the range. The receiver antenna and module look good and no visible damage to the rx antenna coming out of the quad.
It makes a huge difference how you mount your antennas. The best way to mount them is to put them on the arms, oriented 90 degrees from each other.

There is a dead zone where the antennas point, so as long as you set up your antennas so one is ready to fill in for the other you'll be fine.

Also, It helps to keep the dead zone of the transmitter away from the quad. Try to not point the antenna directly at the quad, instead try bending your antenna upwards. Good luck!:D

userix

My receiver antenna is just a single wire. What would be the best way in this case?

Does voltage of the transmitter radio have an effect on range?

The stock i6x has a stubby antenna. I have swapped it for a longer, folding style antenna but it didn’t do much for range. Still failsafed fairly close.

Attachments

• 8A34AECD-4291-4141-A32B-26C4BD4B4D36.jpeg
    8A34AECD-4291-4141-A32B-26C4BD4B4D36.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

userix

I'm trying to figure out why my quad crashed during my latest flight. It seemed to just die out of nowhere. Voltage is still good and no RX loss this time. Props didn't explode midflight and wasn't pushing it hard right before the crash. Didn't have blackbox info, as my micro sd got split in half in the slot in a previous crash.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
My receiver antenna is just a single wire. What would be the best way in this case?

Does voltage of the transmitter radio have an effect on range?

The stock i6x has a stubby antenna. I have swapped it for a longer, folding style antenna but it didn’t do much for range. Still failsafed fairly close.
The voltage of an antenna does have an effect, but the transmitter only puts a tiny amount of power into it. It doesn't make a difference if you run it off of new or old batteries.

Basically you want to align the antenna of your quad with the antenna of your transmitter. That is how you get the best signal.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

Depending on the antenna, that could have made things worse, did you verify that it is a correct antenna for the TX frequency? Also, typically a longer antenna is going to have a higher side gain and larger dead zones out the tips, so if your pointing the antenna at your receiver you will get a much weaker signal pickup.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I have a flysky FSi6 and have done the antenna mod that many of us do with that TX from many youtube how to do videos out there and it did make a considerable improvement using the recommended antenna, also the FSi6 Transmitters have a diversity antenna system with another antenna in the handle, so I doubt its your TX antenna............ have you tried another receiver? that's what I suspect

what keeps that antenna in your photo above out of the props

userix

I have a flysky FSi6 and have done the antenna mod that many of us do with that TX from many youtube how to do videos out there and it did make a considerable improvement using the recommended antenna, also the FSi6 Transmitters have a diversity antenna system with another antenna in the handle, so I doubt its your TX antenna............ have you tried another receiver? that's what I suspect

what keeps that antenna in your photo above out of the props

It's mounted to a zip tie through the heatshrinked tube over it, so it's pretty stiff and I figure since it's below the props, it would get blown away from them, instead of getting sucked in.

userix

Depending on the antenna, that could have made things worse, did you verify that it is a correct antenna for the TX frequency? Also, typically a longer antenna is going to have a higher side gain and larger dead zones out the tips, so if your pointing the antenna at your receiver you will get a much weaker signal pickup.

I didn't pay attention to the specific frequency, but I figure if it's 2.4Ghz, it would work. This is the antenna I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WD7FZV4/?tag=lstir-20

I generally don't point the antenna at the quad. It's usually on either side of the a transmitter antenna while I'm flying.

Which antenna should I be using to get best range and reception?

JasonK

best range/reception -> a very high gain directional antenna, but then you have to keep it pointed directly at your quad, which would need some sort of tracking system and movement system to keep it aimed directly at the quad.

outside of an antenna having an impedance miss-match (which just lowers the effectiveness) the difference in antennas has to do with radiation patterns. So any range increases are going to come with the trade of of dead zones were the reception is worse.

Can we see a picture of your receiver antenna setup? As there there could be an issue there also. the picture of your quad only has one antenna coming out straight back between the carbon fiber rods, which means your going to have orientations that are going to be very bad for reception.

How are you holding your TX, which way is your antenna orientated?

JasonK

If you really want to get into how antenna work, I would suggest getting the HAM study book and studing it, it teaches a whole lot of really useful information related to this stuff.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
thats a little deep for me I dont need a ham lic to see I made an improvement, I will just keep watching my rssi numbers.....which is really all I need to know..... right....... RSSI numbers PROVE the results & thats all that matters to the end users

Last edited:

userix

best range/reception -> a very high gain directional antenna, but then you have to keep it pointed directly at your quad, which would need some sort of tracking system and movement system to keep it aimed directly at the quad.

outside of an antenna having an impedance miss-match (which just lowers the effectiveness) the difference in antennas has to do with radiation patterns. So any range increases are going to come with the trade of of dead zones were the reception is worse.

Can we see a picture of your receiver antenna setup? As there there could be an issue there also. the picture of your quad only has one antenna coming out straight back between the carbon fiber rods, which means your going to have orientations that are going to be very bad for reception.

How are you holding your TX, which way is your antenna orientated?

I hold the transmitter using pinch setup but pretty much how most pinchers hold.

The receiver antenna in the picture is the only antenna from the receiver. It came setup as shown from Banggood.

Attached is my transmitter with antenna mod setup using the antenna I linked previously.
198D8A24-D143-4D7D-A72C-485967879DFF.jpeg
6CD26276-7DA3-4EB7-97FF-0B34FBDD9D9C.jpeg

JasonK

I hold the transmitter using pinch setup but pretty much how most pinchers hold.

The receiver antenna in the picture is the only antenna from the receiver. It came setup as shown from Banggood.

Attached is my transmitter with antenna mod setup using the antenna I linked previously.

so it sounds like your probably pointing that antenna at your quad, since it can bend, bend it so it points straight up/down when your holding it.

second - I would use a support to point your quad's antenna straight up... either based on the quad being flat or on your normal flight angle.

do those 2 things and you should maximize the alignment between your TX antenna and your RX antenna. with the singular RX antenna, you still have to deal with situations were it is pointing directly at/away from you and the relevant nulls from it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If that is the radio antenna orientation you fly with that is one of the worst you can do. Most of your flying is done in front of you and are smack in the middle of the dead zone.

When I fly my quads I fold the radio antenna over parallel with the top of my radio so the radiation doughnut is side ways and the dead spot is always low and to my right. That also maximizes signal reception if one (or in you case the only) receiver antenna is straight out the back. That does however change the fact the signal will be weaker when flying directly at yourself as the carbon AND the battery will impede the signal a bit.

Its better to swap out the receiver for one with diversity so you can off set them by 90 degrees and better cover all angles. this is how I do mine. They come off the front arms using a zip tie and heat shrink to protect them. Have yet to have a fail safe or break an antenna in that position on both top and bottom battery mount quads.

IMG_0809.JPG

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
bend your TX antenna upwards so its pointed proper and let us know how it works out......just dont expect much more

regardless how you point that TX there is a problem!!

its a diversity dual antenna in the transmitter (1 vert & 1 horizontal) doesnt really matter how its pointed at only 500ft........ that TX is range capable of an easy mile and more if its in good working order coupled with the "appropriate" proper working matching receiver.

Like you I bought an eachine quad package but mine was a 250 with the FSi6 Transmitter years ago, the receiver sucked like yours and because I had the room I used the best......I replaced it with the FSi610b and can fly much farther than I can see and now have a diversity receiver with 2 antennas, I think I can fly farther than I have battery to safely get me back

so then checking youtube for "your receiver" that I said I think is suspect I find that RX you have Flysky FS-A8S receiver has known issues
others are having range anxiety and not getting any farther than you, some get 900ft but seems the RX is not consistent, and people are doing as I did and swapping out the RX for a better one.....for the most part, eachine is entry level gear, they dont use the best parts available, they use what works and is cheapest with the plug & play stuff

bunch of range test videos of your RX
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fs-a8s+range+test

here is one range video test below, using your RX and showing better examples for you to purchase

here is one RX that is a better choice from that test....BUT..... I just did a quick search of tests and reviews, so you do your homework and make your own informed decidsion and find which receiver general consensus has chosen as the best replacement
https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-X6B...erica&p=R918162516262013080H&cur_warehouse=CN

Last edited:

userix

bend your TX antenna upwards so its pointed proper and let us know how it works out......just dont expect much more

regardless how you point that TX there is a problem......its a diversity dual antenna in the transmitter (1 vert & 1 horizontal) doesnt really matter how its pointed at only 500ft........ that TX is range capable of an easy mile and more if its in good working order coupled with the "appropriate" proper working matching receiver,
Like you I bought an eachine quad package but mine was a 250 with the FSi6 Transmitter years ago, the receiver sucked like yours and because I had the room I used the best......I replaced it with the FSi610b and can fly much farther than I can see and now have a diversity receiver with 2 antennas, I think I can fly farther than I have battery to safely get me back

so then checking youtube for "your receiver" that I said I think is suspect I find that RX you have Flysky FS-A8S receiver has known issues
others are having range anxiety and not getting any farther than you, some get 900ft but seems the RX is not consistent, and people are doing as I did and swapping out the RX for a better one.....for the most part, eachine is entry level gear, they dont use the best parts available, they use what works and is cheapest with the plug & play stuff

bunch of range test videos of your RX
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fs-a8s+range+test

here is one range video test below, using your RX and showing better examples for you to purchase

here is one RX that is a better choice from that test....BUT..... I just did a quick search of tests and reviews, so you do your homework and make your own informed decidsion and find which receiver general consensus has chosen as the best replacement
https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-X6B...erica&p=R918162516262013080H&cur_warehouse=CN

If the stock i6x radio is decent enough for 1 mile, then the antenna mod I did isn't really necessary? If I get a better receiver and setup the antennas properly, then I should be getting much better range?

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
If the stock i6x radio is decent enough for 1 mile, then the antenna mod I did isn't really necessary? If I get a better receiver and setup the antennas properly, then I should be getting much better range?

first, you did choose the correct antenna for the FS-i6 mod......the antenna mod does increase the range, if you were to use an rssi capable receiver you can measure the range increase so it certainly isnt a waste

and yes the guys doing the receiver upgrade are getting better distance.....watch the youtube videos I posted for you they tell the whole story and will help you choose the right RX, As I previously mentioned you need to do YOUR homework, I dont choose people parts or convince them they need to mod their gear
in order to get a mile or better you must be using the best antennas and receiver...... the best receiver for distance with that radio is the
FS-iA6B it may not work or even fit in your quad but it gets the best range for sure...again watch the youtube videos I posted for you they will help you choose the best receiver for that quad

Last edited:

userix

Would this orientation of mounting the receiver antenna work best? Pointing up vertically? It’s a monopole.

Attachments

• 23561D45-1C3F-49DD-92DE-F3E229DD963F.jpeg
    23561D45-1C3F-49DD-92DE-F3E229DD963F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0