Flysky i6x with eachine x220s range issue

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Would this orientation of mounting the receiver antenna work best? Pointing up vertically? It’s a monopole.
Yes, for a single antenna, vertical orientation is best.

Hard to tell from the picture, you may have cut off your active element. If you have, it’s an easy repair, just remove the outer part of the lead. I remove a bit more than I need, when I have removed all of the frayed wires, I will trim the active element to the exact length.

The active element. It is the exposed wire at the end. This what you care about, it should be fairly straight. It needs to be a specific length and away from anything metal, carbon fiber or electronic (ESC & battery). Those items will block the signal. If you have a 90 degree bend in the middle of the active element you will cut your range. The black part (in this picture), you don't care about, can be any length, tie it in a knot, hide it in carbon fiber. It's just the antenna lead.

If you fray the shielding (the lead) you will allow unwanted rf signal in, which will kill your range. The antenna must be repaired or replaced. To repair, just cut off the frayed coax and solder the remaining coax back onto the Rx board.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member

Hard to tell from the picture, you may have cut off your active element. If you have, it’s an easy repair, just remove the outer part of the lead. I remove a bit more than I need, when I have removed all of the frayed wires, I will trim the active element to the exact length.

The active element. It is the exposed wire at the end. This what you care about, it should be fairly straight. It needs to be a specific length and away from anything metal, carbon fiber or electronic (ESC & battery). Those items will block the signal. If you have a 90 degree bend in the middle of the active element you will cut your range. The black part (in this picture), you don't care about, can be any length, tie it in a knot, hide it in carbon fiber. It's just the antenna lead.

If you fray the shielding (the lead) you will allow unwanted rf signal in, which will kill your range. The antenna must be repaired or replaced. To repair, just cut off the frayed coax and solder the remaining coax back onto the Rx board.

this is why my first question was .....what keeps that antenna in your photo above out of the props and one reason I felt a newer receiver was needed, then I found the receiver range sucks anyways, so no point going down that road

Bricks

Master member
this is why my first question was .....what keeps that antenna in your photo above out of the props and one reason I felt a newer receiver was needed, then I found the receiver range sucks anyways, so no point going down that road

If you make the black part of the antenna lead long enough then it can be run thru a stir stick or straw glued or tie wrapped so it sticks straight up out of the quad or dual antennas a V shape.

userix

I haven’t altered the antenna from how I got it. The black part is the hestshrink tube, which I haven’t removed. So I’m not 100% sure if the active element is still there. Should be

userix

It’s fed through a grommet hole in the top plate. The zip tie is still inside the heatshrink tube so it’s pretty stiff and won’t flop around too much. I will purchase a new receiver soon. But at least I should have much better range then what I had before.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I haven’t altered the antenna from how I got it. The black part is the hestshrink tube, which I haven’t removed. So I’m not 100% sure if the active element is still there. Should be
Yes, you absolutely need the active element, without it you will have limited range.