Flyzone Inum- Is hobby grade going to toy grade?

joecook0723

Look, I have seen this new Inum thing by Flyzone. A 2 Channel Indoor Nano-Micro Ultralight with an 8 or 9 inch wingspan. I bet you might have seen it, but if you have not, it is very similar to the Parkflyers Ultra Micro Slow Flyer M100 3 channel. But... here is the strange part...$39.99 is the set selling price! Could Flyzone be turning down to a Toy Grade Company? Now I'm afraid that Horizon and other companies are going to start clearing their inventory of good hobby grade items to start a Toy-grade micro revolution is on. The Parkzone Mini Vapor is not an example of it. It's a good example of a popular trainer shrunk even smaller to create a cheap and amazing hobby grade house flier.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
Look, I have seen this new Inum thing by Flyzone. A 2 Channel Indoor Nano-Micro Ultralight with an 8 or 9 inch wingspan. I bet you might have seen it, but if you have not, it is very similar to the Parkflyers Ultra Micro Slow Flyer M100 3 channel. But... here is the strange part...$39.99 is the set selling price! Could Flyzone be turning down to a Toy Grade Company? Now I'm afraid that Horizon and other companies are going to start clearing their inventory of good hobby grade items to start a Toy-grade micro revolution is on. The Parkzone Mini Vapor is not an example of it. It's a good example of a popular trainer shrunk even smaller to create a cheap and amazing hobby grade house flier.

if this is going to be a toy grade fly zone is done:eek:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I saw it advertised, and was curious enough to look at the manual. The first page of the manual says "Warning, this is not a toy"

At any rate, it's a great price. Much cheaper than a Vapor, and seems more durable. I'd be keen to check it out, and I do have a SLT TX I could use with it instead of the RTF TX that is a bit toyish -- but not really, because it has two features that toy TX's don't have: bind function, and channel reverse switches.

Anyway, it sure looks hobby grade to me. Parts are available, it uses a standard 1S lipo (the flyzone/hobbico micro connectors) and can be bound with a full range TX.

Fyathyrio

Perhaps a less arrogant and elitist way of looking at this aircraft is that it's an entry level design that won't break on it's first crash, won't hurt grammaw when li'l Johnny flies it into her false teeth, can be flown year-round reasonably safely, inexpensive enough for dads and kids to do together, and won't scratch the big screen on Christmas morning when it hits it. This looks like the perfect entry into a Flite Test Mini 3 channel plane. I prefer to think of it as an attempt by Flyzone to grow the hobby by allowing more people to have initial success and stay in the hobby instead of getting demoralized right away and walking away from the hobby. Considering the potential attacks we face from own own gov't, we can use all the advocates we can get.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I saw it advertised, and was curious enough to look at the manual.

You read the manual?

revoked_card.jpg

joecook0723

Perhaps a less arrogant and elitist way of looking at this aircraft is that it's an entry level design that won't break on it's first crash, won't hurt grammaw when li'l Johnny flies it into her false teeth, can be flown year-round reasonably safely, inexpensive enough for dads and kids to do together, and won't scratch the big screen on Christmas morning when it hits it. This looks like the perfect entry into a Flite Test Mini 3 channel plane. I prefer to think of it as an attempt by Flyzone to grow the hobby by allowing more people to have initial success and stay in the hobby instead of getting demoralized right away and walking away from the hobby. Considering the potential attacks we face from own own gov't, we can use all the advocates we can get.

Might be a good explanation.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I wouldn't worry about them going toy grade too much. I think the Inum is supposed to get younger kids into the hobby at an earlier age. Even if that is not the goal, it's still a really cheap first plane.

ExperimentalRC

If you really think about it, everything we design, build, and fly are toys for our enjoyment. If it gets a smile on my face, Im happy with it.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
A hobby grade company bruilding toy grade models is kind of genius.

If it works right, they will be able to hook SO many more customers on their hobby grade models in the long run.

"Daddy.. DADDY! I want that $350 RC Plane!"

Not likely...

"Daddy.. DADDY! This one's only $40!!"

FAR more likely. By the time that kid hits working age, he will be able to spend his own money on a $350 model, simply because the interest was develped at a young age. If that interest WASN'T kindled when the kid was 10ish years old, the 16 year old kid would be likely to spend that money on Girls... or Cars... or whathaveyou.

honestly, I think it's a brilliant marketing move. Same with all of the Nano Quads coming out at the $40 pricepoint.

Hook 'em young, and you have a customer for life.

Also, I have to admit that I have been tempted to walk out of the LHS with this model on more than one occasion...

Last edited:
I have an INUM, I can say, it's a dedicated indoor plane. It's intended to be a relaxing little flier. I can say, it tolerates ZERO wind!! I have tried mine outside, and here in Southern Idaho, there's rarely a day when there's not at least a slight breeze, and the INUM can't do it. There's a group here that flies indoors every sunday at a local high school gym, and they love the INUM. Relaxing and docile; just plain fun to fly.

joecook0723

The INUM has too far of a right rudder neutral setting (more to the right than the left) and it is supposed to be slightly left, or exactly centered, like other fliers.