FMS 64mm F-15 - Advice

FMS_Wes

Hey guys! I'm completely new to the EDF world and decided to give it a shot with the FMS 64mm F-15. Before I buy, are there any challenges to flying EDF?

Tench745

Master member
I have not successfully flown an EDF yet, but I am told the biggest difference is spool-up time. On a prop plane as soon as you add power you have thrust. EDFs take a little while to begin generating thrust so you have to think further ahead of the plane than one with a prop.
Turbines take even longer to spool up and generate thrust.

telnar1236

Elite member
There are a few differences. EDFs do take a moment longer to generate thrust, but it's not that much longer. They have less thrust, but a ton of power, so you can't just punch out like you can with a prop plane, but you don't have any noticeable torque from the motor, so slow flight tends to be pretty stable if the airframe allows. If you're looking at the FMS F-15, it might be worth looking at the E-Flite one as well. If I remember right, it's the same airframe but with SAFE if you think you would find that useful.

vicentel

Everyone is correct regarding the time it takes to build up thrust. Think about being in a manual car in 6th gear and your speed is 60mph...let's say you slow to 30mph but you're still in 6th gear and you need to accelerate back to 60mph, getting back up there is going to take some time in 6th gear. Hopefully this make sense.

Also you're going to have a higher wing loading due to the larger battery required for the power hunger EDFs. You will also need to land under some power and therefore come in a lot hotter than what you're use to. For EDF pilots I recommend performing 'touch-and-goes' with the new aircraft to get familiar with it.

Cheers,
Vic

L Edge

Master member
1) If you are hand launching, do not throw at a steep angle, keep it to about 10 degrees.

2) EDf's normally get 3-4 minutes of flight, so keep it timed and on your maiden flight, I would shoot for just a 2 min flight.
Why? If pilot screws up landing and needs a "go around", and you go up to full throttle and make then make another approach, you better make sure you have still have enough battery left, or you will suffer the consequences.

3) If intake of EDF's is near ground when landing, always check to see if pebbles, small rocks, even wet clump grass, can destroy the fan blades if it is sucked in. I always buy a couple of sets of spare blades since EDFs models tend to disappear after a year or so on market. Even caught a servo wire not taped down.

4) A way to reduce spooling time is to go to the tx radio and look at the throttle curve.
curve.jpg

What I did is add an additional point on the curve.
I bumped up the new 2nd point to about 29 % (before it was a straight line) so now this is at a higher spooling for a small amount of throttle.

Concept is, when landing, you always have some power on with EDF's. What I did, is match the spooling up speed to my landing approach speed(memorize the spot on throttle) so I'm powered up and ready which produces a fixed landing speed just like a pro. Yet still drops of rapidly to shut off the EDF when you land.

Sound good.