Foam Glider mod questions

MegaMech

Hi Folks,

Recently I saw the flitetest youtube video of the foam glider mod to RC.

I'm planning on doing this mod. Would Electric Ducted Fan (EDF) motors work on these planes? (one on each wing) What size of battery would I need?
I think it would be cool to use EDF cause it would kind of look like or emulate a real jet engine, and aesthetically make the plane look like it kind of has jet engines. If this isn't a completely terrible idea, what size of EDF should I use? 30mm? The foam planes are about same size as in the video.

Instead of 2 engines one on each wing, would it work to mount one motor inside of the tail, and create a vent hole? (Dunno if EDF comes small enough for this...) (really the goal of this idea would be to make it look kinda like a learjet or jet that has rear mounted engines)

Another idea I had is to take 2 foam planes and stick them together side by side. (Twin fuselage aircraft) That might turn out cool.

I might also make some kind of fixed gear. Maybe just one wheel at the front to keep the motors off the ground, and have it a tail dragger. Could I take off from the ground like that? I have only built and flown... Crashed*, the tiny trainer.

Thank you for your thoughts on this in advance!

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
Sure, an EDF will work on anything really. They are really no different than a prop, they just typically have less static thrust per watt. That's the price you have to pay for looking cool. :cool:

For that sized plane you could easily get away with two 50mm EDF's. I do not think you will be able to physically fit a 50mm in the tail with a small enough efflux tube and look scale, but you can certainly put one on the tail.

EDF's come in a wide variety of configurations, each with it's own requirements and performance. For that reason I can not recommend a battery without knowing what you are using. You have to look at the combined amp draw of both units combined as well as the cell count the manufacturer recommends.

Here is an example:
FMS 50mm 3Cell
These would create about 1000-1200 grams of thrust combined which would be plenty of power. Two of these would require a 3 cell battery rated for at least 80 amps. I would give yourself a little headroom though.
Something like this:
2200mAh 50c 3Cell
This would be good for 110 amps.

These are just examples though, I would recommend shopping around and learning more about EDF's in general. If you see something you like and would like some advice, just ask.

AcBates

two 30mm or 40mm fans would do the trick. would probably want to keep the pack under 3S 2000mah for the airplane supplying both motors.

quorneng

Master member
Look cool yes but for a given level of thrust achieved not only is the fan itself heavier than the equivalent prop and motor but the required batteries are likely 3 times the weight for the same endurance.
So overall it will fly fast with a short power duration - 3 minutes?
I actually think a single 40 mm would be sufficient for a 'glider' type performance.
On the other hand the same size battery with a small motor and prop would fly just as well and likely give you an endurance close to an hour.
It all comes down to what you are aiming to achieve and how much you want to spend doing it.

Last edited:

Chuppster

two 30mm or 40mm fans would do the trick. would probably want to keep the pack under 3S 2000mah for the airplane supplying both motors.

Do you think two 30mm fans have enough thrust to support this 1+ meter jet? I'd imagine it weighs at least 600 grams with a battery.

AcBates

Do you think two 30mm fans have enough thrust to support this 1+ meter jet? I'd imagine it weighs at least 600 grams with a battery.
I think it would make it fly... not super spirited performance, but I'd wager that it would poke around pretty well... only one way to find out! :)

MegaMech

It seems like EDF units are hard to pick up in Canada, or are kind of expensive like 50 bucks each. So I may just buy a couple of normal prop motors. I'd order from Aliexpress but I don't want to wait 4 months haha.

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
You mentioned the tiny trainer, do you have a spare 2205 lying around and do you have access to a 3D printer?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2948067
IMG_7022.JPG

InsanitySquared

Here's an idea, why don't you try hollowing out the fuselage, adding some intakes and a hole at the end of the tail section and put in something like a 70-80mm EDF inside the plane? Kinda like the MiG 17!

AcBates

70mm fan would be too big... power to drive that is around 4S 2500-3000mah. two 30mm would work, 50mm fan if going single unit maybe.