Foamboard in australia *2022*

Bo123

Elite member
I have tried for many years to find good foamboard here, cheap. The stuff at the stores is heavy, and expensive, not good for building planes.
I have tried different options, and I am still searching for the right one.

Options at the moment:

FliteTest Foam:
Pros - Good quality
- Light
- Water Proof
- The best foam for building

Cons - Expensive
- Shipping is high
- From america so long wait time

(I calculated it about $9 a sheet for this. This is actually cheaper than the Foamboards Aus. Price will go down if I choose the 50pack).

Edit: Its $7.20 a sheet for a 50 pack.... but nearly $400!!! THIS IS FOAMBOARD.

Bunnings XPS:

Pros - Easy Access from store
- can make hotwire builds with it as it comes in 30mm and 50mm
- light
- not to expensive

Cons - Needs to be hotwire cut into sheets and skinned
- can be expensive in bulk
- Tedious building process (Hotwire or sheets)

Foamboards australia:
(I have never built with it though)

Pros - white, so easy painting
-

Cons - More expensive than the Flite test foam
- Might not be as good quality as the FTFB
- Heavy

Amazon Foamboard:

Pros - Sometimes can find a good deal
- can get a bunch of other stuff while your at it too
- Lots of choices

Cons - Often heavy
- Hard to find the right size
- Good ones are often out of stock

Other options (not foamboard tho but can be used):
Depron (Hard to get, only 10mm from hobbyking
Coreflute (Stong, but heavy. Better for bigger builds)
Officeworks/spotlight/other foam (Very heavy, for the price. Also its like $20 for an A1 sheet.)

If anyone has any other choices, please come forwards and I will add them. ATM I will probs go for the FTFB, or if I find some good stuff on amazon.
I wonder if Banggood has any good stuff :unsure:.

dave1up

I use this stuff in 5mm on all my builds. Its a little heavier so planes are slightly tail heavy so i add a bit onto the nose off all designs to counter that.

Large sheet is $22 - Used to be around $16 last time I bought it. Works well though. Can get a plane & a half out of a sheet so $15 per plane is not too bad..

https://www.eckersleys.com.au/white-core-foamboards

Bo123

Elite member
I use this stuff in 5mm on all my builds. Its a little heavier so planes are slightly tail heavy so i add a bit onto the nose off all designs to counter that.

Large sheet is $22 - Used to be around $16 last time I bought it. Works well though. Can get a plane & a half out of a sheet so $15 per plane is not too bad..

https://www.eckersleys.com.au/white-core-foamboards
Flite Test foam is wayy cheaper than that per sheet with higher quality. For a 50 pack its $7.40 a sheet, but about $400 overall.

mayan

Legendary member
I can’t give advice on buying different types of foam board in Australia but can say that you can just add some more power and it should be fine.

Mickb

I have tried for many years to find good foamboard here, cheap. The stuff at the stores is heavy, and expensive, not good for building planes.
I have tried different options, and I am still searching for the right one.

Options at the moment:

FliteTest Foam:
Pros - Good quality
- Light
- Water Proof
- The best foam for building

Cons - Expensive
- Shipping is high
- From america so long wait time

(I calculated it about $9 a sheet for this. This is actually cheaper than the Foamboards Aus. Price will go down if I choose the 50pack).

Edit: Its $7.20 a sheet for a 50 pack.... but nearly $400!!! THIS IS FOAMBOARD.

Bunnings XPS:

Pros - Easy Access from store
- can make hotwire builds with it as it comes in 30mm and 50mm
- light
- not to expensive

Cons - Needs to be hotwire cut into sheets and skinned
- can be expensive in bulk
- Tedious building process (Hotwire or sheets)

Foamboards australia:
(I have never built with it though)

Pros - white, so easy painting
-

Cons - More expensive than the Flite test foam
- Might not be as good quality as the FTFB
- Heavy

Amazon Foamboard:

Pros - Sometimes can find a good deal
- can get a bunch of other stuff while your at it too
- Lots of choices

Cons - Often heavy
- Hard to find the right size
- Good ones are often out of stock

Other options (not foamboard tho but can be used):
Depron (Hard to get, only 10mm from hobbyking
Coreflute (Stong, but heavy. Better for bigger builds)
Officeworks/spotlight/other foam (Very heavy, for the price. Also its like $20 for an A1 sheet.)

If anyone has any other choices, please come forwards and I will add them. ATM I will probs go for the FTFB, or if I find some good stuff on amazon.
I wonder if Banggood has any good stuff :unsure:.
I go o my local arts supply shop and I can get a 1800 x 700 sheet of 5mm foamboard for $20 or a 3mm sheet with the same dimensions for about $17 and if i just want a half sheet they'll cut it for me

gary baker

After reading various posts on the pros and cons of finding suitable FB in Australia (and after starting a couple of scratch built projects using the heavy Officeworks or Spotlight FB😕) I have ordered a 20 pack of the FT stuff! With the postage, it works out to $13 a sheet (which is only $2 a sheet more than the local rubbish..)
for what it's worth for those who face the same dilemma here in Oz..

Bo123

Elite member
After reading various posts on the pros and cons of finding suitable FB in Australia (and after starting a couple of scratch built projects using the heavy Officeworks or Spotlight FB😕) I have ordered a 20 pack of the FT stuff! With the postage, it works out to $13 a sheet (which is only $2 a sheet more than the local rubbish..)
for what it's worth for those who face the same dilemma here in Oz..
I used to be able to get the FT stuff for about $9 a sheet. Gone up a bit but its still worth it.

philgabanski

10 sheets for $70 is insane!
Plus I think like $25 postage average. This guy was sick of not being able to buy depron so he imported some to share with fellow foamie flyers!
It is light and will perform but you may have to "skin" it your self with packing tape if you want extra strength!

Last edited:

Bo123

Elite member
Plus I think like $25 postage average. This guy was sick of not being able to buy depron so he imported some to share with fellow foamie flyers!
It is light and will perform but you may have to "skin" it your self with packing tape if you want extra strength!
Yeah depron is good, but not worth it that price. I'd rather go balsa.