Food Vendors?

mybad

Anyone know for sure what food vendors will be offering this year? If I recall, last year there was a burger truck and an Ice Cream stand. I know we had ice cream for lunch one day.:cool:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Well I guess you didn't listen to the latest podcast put on by the FliteTest Community Cast. Austin discusses a few flite fest related items.... Including the Amish Donuts again this year!

allenajs

I am right on the fence....I think it would be fun to bring/buy food and cook every meal but the logistics of iced food stuffs (and prep and cleanup) for 5 days is a bit more daunting than I care to entertain.

The vendors were good last year but a tad steeply priced for what you got. But now having more choices, one has to weigh the ROI of bringing/cooking/cleanuping vs. patronizing every single food vendor over 4 or 5 days and having a clean, carefree campsite.... hmmm....

The one dude that commented that all he was bringing was his transmitter may have it right. Only thing you need is a Tx...buy everything else and support the efforts of all involved. Has a nice ring to it....

I am considering bringing food to cook and a simple grill for Wed. Hard to tell what will be available...last year they were all just setting up and not selling. I guess the cheezsteak did open and sell some. Those were mighty tasty.

Sadly, I am not able to join the camaraderie of the Amish Donut club. I too thought they seemed a tad pricey, but alas now I wish that I had partaken of said donuts.

Ok...getting loopy.... just think... In 2 weeks we will be there...at FliteFest! I can't wait...

Allen

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
There will be ice for sale on site this year as well. Lauren INT has really stepped up to the plate this year and I think they will hit a home run. Only thing that would be better is if they had enough people to take care of all the volunteer jobs!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Well I guess you didn't listen to the latest podcast put on by the FliteTest Community Cast. Austin discusses a few flite fest related items.... Including the Amish Donuts again this year!

I listened, but honestly as the podcasts get longer I tend to listen less intently. :) Glad to hear they'll be back.

Regarding prices, I don't think the prices charged were too inflated, considering the effort and expense the vendors go through to be there. A few years back I was seriously looking at what it would take to set up a food truck to do catering and sell BBQ, and even for a very modest used rig the costs are far from cheap. Add in the labor costs for help, insurance, inspections, depreciation, etc it quickly scared me away. The food I had at FTFF last year was better than most stuff I'd expect from a truck.

mybad

I guess I missed it. I listed to each podcast driving 1 1/2 hours each way to work and back. Sometimes the driving interferes with my listening!;)

Wow. I don't even remember the Amish Donuts. I'll just HAVE to buy some this year. Anything for a good cause.;)

Last year my 7 year old grandson refused to eat the hamburger because "it was gross". Actually, I thought it was really good, but he's a MacDonald's kid. What can you do? There was nothing else he would eat, except for the Ice Cream I mentioned earlier. It would be great if there was pizza, chicken nuggets, hot dogs or other "kid food".

We had fun cooking hot dogs on the grill, but cooking at the campsite just takes too much time away from all the goings on. Forget firing up the grill if you want to see the Noon Demos.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I was actually pleasantly surprised at how affordable the food options were last year and how large the portions were for the prices. We sampled a couple of options since we only brought some beverages and smores stuff for the campfire ;) Since we were only staying one night and were in from out of town dealing with food wasn't really very attractive to us.

But I've also been out of the midwest for almost 17 years now so my view of value may be a bit shifted. Compared to what food vendors in AZ and CA charge the prices at FF were a screaming bargain.