FPV Cameras, Mobius to GoPro - TIPS

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

fpv-cameras-2-jpg_1393956197.jpg

There are a few options when looking at FPV cameras. We took a look at the good old board camera, the Mobius, and the GoPro.

fpv-cameras-10-jpg_1394038856.jpg

The board camera is the best for someone just getting into FPV. They range from $15 up to $200 depending on what you are looking for. The dynamic range of the sensors on the board cameras allow for cool things like IR perspective and night vision. Obviously these options will be on the more expensive range of cameras but this is something that the action cameras lack. On the flip side, board cameras can not record your video out of the box.

fpv-cameras-4-jpg_1393956201.jpg

If you are looking to record your flights and have great quality footage, the action cams are the way to go.

fpv-cameras-8-jpg_1394038827.jpg

The Mobius is a great affordable way to record and get fantastic looking footage. We have started to use the Mobius more and more on the show since we pick up a few and were extremely impressed with the quality. They come in a narrow angle view and a wide angle view. Keep in mind, with the action cameras, you will also need to pick up a video-out cable that is NOT included when you get the camera.

fpv-cameras-9-jpg_1394038825.jpg

Now the top-dog when it comes to action cams is the GoPro. These are used for pretty much everything in the sports and cinema world and they also make fantastic FPV cameras. This is the best quality footage that you will be able to get out of your recorded flight, but that's if you don't mind paying for it. Same thing with the Mobius, this does NOT come with a video-out cable, so make sure you get that as well.

fpv-cameras-5-jpg_1393956203.jpg

We did a few tests to see how the Mobius stacked up with the GoPro. Here you can see the dynamic range between the two cameras. They react to light differences in their own way. Watch the episode to see more!

fpv-cameras-6-jpg_1393956206.jpg

Another difference was the angle of view. The GoPro does have a wider field of view but the Mobius does offer a wide-angle version that brings it a little bit closer to the GoPro. Here is the GoPro next to the narrow angle Mobius.

Regardless of what you choose, this is only a small portion of the FPV setup. Goggles, transmitters, etc. will also be part of your purchase so shop around to see which fits best into your budget.
We hope this episode gave you some insight! You don't have to break the bank to get what you are looking for, just take your time and look at all the options.

Have a different camera that you absolutely love for FPV? Let us know!

jrumbelow

Mobius all the way guys. Great video guys as always. I have had go pro's and now have a mobius the mobius is great for money. but one complaint is the auto adjustments it makes when the lighting conditions change. the gopros seem much smoother and you cant tell its doing it but the mobius it is like it is juttering when changing. i wish they was a setting or option you could choose to make it less sensitive or something like that. But for the money you cant complain.

Freaky_1

old headcase
Can you tell us what board cam was preferred on the tbs discovery as a comparison against say your bottom suggested board cam?

Edit for clarity. The board cam tbs likes that was alluded to in the tbs discovery episode as compared to your own ground zero / absolute "wouldn't bother with anything below this".

this question from a ZERO fpv flyer and perhaps for others as well and understood if there's no real answer to the question.

Great episode and thanks for keeping tall to what FT is.

Frank

Last edited:

Bobbyr

I know you probably have done , but the Mobius has a Firmware update that makes it far better in very low light .

Also I bought a Wide angle camera module , and its very impressive , although now my Props are in view !!!!!

Great Video , as always

Bob

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Good overview and great timing as I'm currently debating between a board cam, and 808 or a Mobius. But....

What about latency? Is the mobius as bad as I've heard? But then I've also heard it's no worse than a GoPro so how bad is the GoPro?

What about CMOS vs. CCD for board cams.

What about pros/cons of different lenses (2.8mm vs 3.8mm on a board cam, standard vs. wide on mobius, lens D on 808's vs. other options)

Heck what about the venerable 808 at all.

Not trying to knock the video because it is good for what it is...but it still left me with the bulk of the questions I was hoping it would address unanswered. Just would have liked to see a bit more in depth coverage on this topic. Heck I wouldn't mind seeing a whole video on board cams, a whole video on the 808's and mobius, and a whole video on GoPro's.

What other sport action cams are being used for fpv. With christmas being right around the corner and black friday and cyber monday being this weekend, would like to have a few options as some of them will probably be on sake for pretty reasonabke prices.