FPV first-timer

Robyle3

Hello! To expand the scope of my flying I've been interested lately in trying out FPV. I know virtually nothing about it, though.

Browsing the FT store just left me with a big question mark above my head. If there are any all-inclusive kits out there, or if you have any suggestions on a setup, please let me know.

I'm flying 1.5-2m span planes. And my budget is around 300$ CDN.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Hello! To expand the scope of my flying I've been interested lately in trying out FPV. I know virtually nothing about it, though.

Browsing the FT store just left me with a big question mark above my head. If there are any all-inclusive kits out there, or if you have any suggestions on a setup, please let me know.

I'm flying 1.5-2m span planes. And my budget is around 300$ CDN.

I'm in the same boat as you!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
In my humble opinion, there is not much correlation between price and quality. There is a correlation between price and service.

With goggles you really need to try them on. How they fit your face and how good your eyes are. How you eyes focus on something close will play a huge difference in your satisfaction, price not so much.

Here is the first in a series of eight videos that explain some of the fundamentals. It is well worth your time to watch all of them.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
That's a good video series ^^^

I like his simple, no nonsense approach.

You should find someone who does FPV or a hobby shop that will let you try some goggles. The fat shark style is very popular but I've found that I prefer box goggles.

Are you planning on building a dedicated FVP craft or throwing some FPV gear on an existing model?

Robyle3

Once I get it trimmed and flying, I'm hoping to put it on my Ki-46. Thread here
This is a winter project, so I'm in no rush. I don't live anywhere close (3hour drive) to my closest hobby shop, so I'm stuck looking for all the equipment online.
My mental list goes something like this:
Camera
Vtx
Vrx
Display/goggles

Do I need a separate channel on the aircraft Rx? Does it need a separate power source?
What is the big deal with (insert number)mw?
What in the world does antenna type have to do with range?
Capturing seperate HD would be a nice feature, but not very important.

Thanks @Merv for the video link, I've already put it on my "watch later" list when I get some wifi.
And thanks everyone for the quick responses

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Do I need a separate channel on the aircraft Rx? Does it need a separate power source?

- The FPV system and RC control link are not really connected and don't interact, so no RC channels are required. The VTx will need to be powered, many of them have a large voltage range and can be powered directly by the flight battery, some are more specific and require a regulator.
- mW is a power rating, more power = more range. Note that doubling power does not double range, this is explained in the video series linked above.
- different antennae have different radiation patterns, allowing the power to be concentrated in a specific direction. This is also covered in the video series.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Do I need a separate channel on the aircraft Rx?
No, not needed, You may want more channels, for pan and tilt, switching between 2 or more cameras.
Does it need a separate power source?
No, if you purchase FPV equipment that will run at the same voltage as your flight pack. I run my 12v setup from my 3S flight pack. It makes life much easier, there is a bit of interference, I get a few lines in my picture.
How much power you can run depends on what country you’re from. I live in USA and get 1-2 miles from 200mW 5.8gH, this is plenty far enough for me.
Antennas are everything, they shape the direction of your signal. Watch the video!!!!
Capturing seperate HD would be a nice feature, but not very important.
I live in corn country, it’s easy to get lost in an ocean of corn. I need ground recording to help find a downed plane. I also need an arrow to point the way home.

Make sure your FPV equipment IS NOT at the same frequency as your Tx. DON’T use 2.4 gH video with 2.4 gH Tx
WATCH THE VIDEOS.

Last edited:

Robyle3

But seriously though, this is some good info. I love technical stuff so don't be shy on physics and descriptions. (Like the inverse-square law for power/range trade-off)

I did know that antennas had directional signal, but it was cool to learn why all FPV gear had electric mixer heads attached to them. (My personal favourite is the mini-donut antenna XD)
I should also clarify that I was thinking of just buying a separate runcam for hd flight video.
This is all just future notes though, money is tight around holiday season.