FPV setup question.

Tyneu

Hey everyone, I’m new to the rc airplane hobby and want to also get into FPV flying but don’t know the best setups. I want to start with quality so I don’t have to upgrade in the future and was wondering if anyone had a recommended setup?

FDS

Elite member
What for, fixed wing, multi rotor, long range?
You don’t need to drop $$$ to get into it, a basic set of box goggles, mid price camera and 200mw VTX will do great.

Tyneu

It will be for fixed range and I want to go nice for the goggles since there isn’t a chance of breaking them.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I was looking onto getting into fpv recently, and I settled on the fxt viper goggles. I’ll link them below. I haven’t purchased them yet, but all the research I did points to them being super good and having a ton of features for only $170. You would need a camera, which since I will be getting an inductrix, I didn’t look into. I think @Ihichi Bolls would know.

Bricks

Master member
How are your eyes, can you see things clear right in front of your face inches away, if so then any decent goggles will work if not then the box style goggles are the way to go. Do not worry about the best as in a year there will be something better and brighter just the way electronics of this sort are, find something that works for you. As my eyes are old and I HAVE to use the box style goggles no choice for me.

FDS

Elite member
I bought $50 Eachine 800’s, they have been really good. By all means drop $500 on HDO2’s but as noted above the technology has entered a state of flux right now, DJI have shaken the market up with their HD digital system, which makes high end analogue goggles a gamble right now.
For fixed wing a decent all in one camera and VTX with a omni antenna and a set of goggles is all you need to try it out, the AOI’s can easily be moved from plane to plane and a 200mw one will be powerful enough to get decent reception over a fair distance, especially in open country.

Bricks

Master member
When you are all ready to do your first FPV if you can find someone to buddy box with, you will FPV and the other person will have the master transmitter doing line of sight, as it can get a little disconcerting seeing things from above and loose where you are at. Just a little precaution for the first flight or two, quads no big deal but planes can cover a lot of ground quick.

Ihichi Bolls

When you are all ready to do your first FPV if you can find someone to buddy box with, you will FPV and the other person will have the master transmitter doing line of sight, as it can get a little disconcerting seeing things from above and loose where you are at. Just a little precaution for the first flight or two, quads no big deal but planes can cover a lot of ground quick.

hrmmmm....

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
In my humble opinion, there is not much correlation between price and quality. There is a correlation between price and service.

With goggles you really need to try them on. How they fit your face and how good your eyes can focus play a huge difference in your satisfaction, price not so much.

Here is the first in a series of eight videos that explain some of the fundamentals

Last edited: