FPV signal loss at ~ 200ft

Jimmyp

Ok, an update.

This week I flew a few times and I think I figured it out today. However, this is what I tried and in the order I tried it.

1. New location: Result - a bit better, maybe 50ft more range. But that was on open pasture with absolutely nothing around. If I had to fly there every time I did fpv I could find myself getting bored very quickly.

2. Different antennas: A friend let me borrow his Fatshark 5.8G antennas - No change

4. Power from a 3s: This was done after I found my range steadily decreasing as the 2s I was using was loosing power. Result - My range is still not 1.5K, but it can go fairly far.

I also found that I have a short in the video cable that transmits signal to my screen. The flickers look identical to what I see when I lose signal from the TX.

My next purchase will be a set of nicer antennas - My hope is that as I upgrade items, the pieces I get work with what I have. That way I won't have to buy all new gear.

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom!
I'm just jumping in here. I found the stock antennas are crap and right away ordered some cloverleaf. On the 200 ma TX my range was max 1 km. I upgraded to a 600 ma Tx and I can get up to about 1.5 km.
It looks like you are using good antennas and now you should expect an OK range. I have always used a 12v battery.
I now have a 14db spironet antenna and have gone up to almost 6km but very directional and need to keep in front of the antenna.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
One thing that hasn't been mentioned but comes to mind is to make sure your TX/RX are on matching channels. I know you're not running boscam but the boscam instructions are incorrect about the settings so when I first tried mine I was getting very limited range like you were because I used the channel settings listed on the instructions. Once I did some searching online and found a corrected channel setting list I found out I was originally on neighboring channels which gave a good enough connection to work at short range - but quickly lost signal. Once I changed them to be on the same channel for sure I started getting the expected 1.5k range (at least in a ground test...will probably get more in the air if I ever get the nerve to fly that far away.)

milesgary

One thing that hasn't been mentioned but comes to mind is to make sure your TX/RX are on matching channels. I know you're not running boscam but the boscam instructions are incorrect about the settings so when I first tried mine I was getting very limited range like you were because I used the channel settings listed on the instructions. Once I did some searching online and found a corrected channel setting list I found out I was originally on neighboring channels which gave a good enough connection to work at short range - but quickly lost signal. Once I changed them to be on the same channel for sure I started getting the expected 1.5k range (at least in a ground test...will probably get more in the air if I ever get the nerve to fly that far away.)

Channels: What I have found is that the manual for the SkyZone is difficult to read when you leave it at home...

The Skyzone dip-switches on the TX don't actually do much as far as changing the channels. At least, not when your flying partner has the exact same setup as you. We tried a few different channel selections, but it seemed as if the very first frequency and channel was the strongest - so strong it could be viewed on the other frequencies as well.

Is this true for all 5.8 systems?

Fuzz Out: You can't view two fuzzy screens at the same time...

Today I flew again, this time with a friend with the exact same setup (HK Skyzone 200 kit and Quanum DIY Goggles). He had a great picture, very clear. He noticed that on my setup, it would cut totally out on my headset, but only flicker on his. He also noticed, which I did not, that my headset would flicker then switch very quickly to AV2 and back to AV1 - leaving me we a split second full-screen "fuzz out". Well, I had read (either here or on another post) that the white wire on the outputs of the RX is for another screen, or monitor or something. I thought it was for audio and left it plugged in. Regardless, I unplugged it and now I have a much better signal. It still has moments of horizontal "fuzz", but the entire screen doesn't go fuzzy like it did before.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
The Skyzone dip-switches on the TX don't actually do much as far as changing the channels. At least, not when your flying partner has the exact same setup as you. We tried a few different channel selections, but it seemed as if the very first frequency and channel was the strongest - so strong it could be viewed on the other frequencies as well.

Is this true for all 5.8 systems?

The channels on the 32-channel 5.8 GHz FPV systems overlap with each other, so yes, this is the expected result. The overlapping channels give you more granularity to avoid noise, but you don't actually have 32 discrete, usable channels.

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
I'm having the same problem only mine is randomly cutting out, especially when the battery runs low which i guess is normal. can i solve this with a better antenna? or is it something i can't change,besides the battery problem of course.

PS i am using the same fpv bundle pack from hobby king

steven glass

Im having the same problem

Hey guys im having the same problem with my quanums bundle fpv set i orderd some clover leaves and there a little bit better but constant video break up when im like 50 ft away go any further then 200ft thats it i see snow Help

hman123467

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but...

Try a different screen. I had the exact same setup as you and it does continuously drop out. the issue isnt your Vrx or VTx or antenna, its the screen.

The screen they ship them with (whilst it isnt a blue screen system) likes to cut the video feed because it detects low signal (ie, when you go behind a tree, instead of just having the part of the image flicker, the whole screen will go because its below the screens acceptable threshold). I got the Quanum V2 goggles, and the problem was fixed immediately, can get up to 3km range with just a spironet (using the Quanum diversity VRx and 600mW Vtx).

So it may just be worth getting a different set of goggles (like the Quanum V2's, only 50$ AUD)

Cheers,
hman out :cool: