Solved FPV VTX for airplane and runcam split

Mandoman21

What is a good vtx for a fixed-wing airplane? The FT simple scout video caught my attention and I can't find what kind of vtx was used in the runcam split cube setup. Any idea what vtx that was? perhaps it comes with the runcam split?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
What is a good vtx for a fixed-wing airplane? The FT simple scout video caught my attention and I can't find what kind of vtx was used in the runcam split cube setup. Any idea what vtx that was? perhaps it comes with the runcam split?

VTX choices should be determined by how you want to fly and where. Legally without a HAM licence in the states you can not use a non certified VTX over 25mw which is totally useless for fixed wing as the actual radiated power from them is usually between 3 and 5 mw which will give you enough distance to toss the plane lower your goggles and grab your sticks before its out of range.

That said... Most variable power vtx will work. I would not advise ANY single power rated VTX above 200 mw as more then likely you will fry it by the time you taxi or power up and walk to where you wish to fly from before hand launching. Most common recommended VTX seem to be the TBS vtx line. They seem reliable but I have never used one myself. I like the ones from Pando RC or I flight on my big quads and the eachine VTX03 on my 3 inch and smaller quads.

In any case what ever you get look to do some sort of mounting that puts the heat sink outside the aircraft or somewhere that will get REALLY good air flow.

Mandoman21

Thank
VTX choices should be determined by how you want to fly and where. Legally without a HAM licence in the states you can not use a non certified VTX over 25mw which is totally useless for fixed wing as the actual radiated power from them is usually between 3 and 5 mw which will give you enough distance to toss the plane lower your goggles and grab your sticks before its out of range.

That said... Most variable power vtx will work. I would not advise ANY single power rated VTX above 200 mw as more then likely you will fry it by the time you taxi or power up and walk to where you wish to fly from before hand launching. Most common recommended VTX seem to be the TBS vtx line. They seem reliable but I have never used one myself. I like the ones from Pando RC or I flight on my big quads and the eachine VTX03 on my 3 inch and smaller quads.

In any case what ever you get look to do some sort of mounting that puts the heat sink outside the aircraft or somewhere that will get REALLY good air flow.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! I’ll keep all that in mind.