How should I go about wiring my VTX and camera?

Spagoose

I have a plane that runs a 3s lipo, a vtx that requires 5v, and no flight controller

Can I power this off the UBEC built into the ESC? It currently plugs into the receiver, but I was thinking of using a servo y-splitter sort of cable and cutting the signal off one side to tap the 5v supply for the VTX.

Then comes the camera, I want to make use of its built in OSD to get battery voltage, so I guess I somehow need to tap into the battery directly. I guess I need some kind of XT60 splitter cable? Or perhaps tap into the balance lead?

Finally I suspect I will need a LC filter, would I put it before the camera, or the VTX, or both?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...Can I power this off the UBEC built into the ESC?...Finally I suspect I will need a LC filter, would I put it before the camera, or the VTX, or both?
Yes, provided it can supply enough amps. Servos, 9g ones, draw about 3/4 of an amp each. If it’s a 3a and you have 4 servos, probably not. If is a 5a or more, you are likely OK.

I run my 12v vTx off the balance lead from my 3S flight pack. I don’t use any filters, I get a tiny bit of interference