Free Flight Chambermaid Build

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I found this kit on the Easy Built site and had to buy it. I plan to take it with me to a free flight event in Oregon in a about a month and see how she flies. The build has been a lot of fun as usual with some challenges and complications along the way. One big difference with this kit versus every other one I've done is the order of construction. Normally, you build all of the parts (wing, tail, stab, fuse), sand all of the parts, cover all of the parts, and then assemble the parts into an airplane. With this one, I had to assemble as I went because of how the kit was designed and constructed. I'm not quite finished just yet but you can see how most of the plane is assembled and covered while the nose desk is still balsa sticks. I did a test glide last night over the bed to see how it was balanced and it was perfect. I marked the balance point for future reference as a ballpark for when I start powered tests.

Anyway, time for pictures.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Nicely done sir!

I LOVE the look of this model! Great Golden Age style and a very clean build! :)

TexMechsRobot

This one wrapped up pretty well and it is begging for a flying day. I plan to take it down to Tangent Oregon for a 3-day free flight event in about a month. I think my summer build season is drawing to a close and I'm going to start transitioning into my winter build season. I've learned that I don't like to build flying models in the winter since the winter weather here is so terrible and I can't get out to fly them. They look at me with sad eyes as they sit for months after they are finished. I plan to use the winter to build models that are static and then get out and fly what I already have if there's good weather.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

TexMechsRobot

I actually went to a free flight event this weekend to try and get help flying this. I was practicing on another high-wing trainer and got some good advice and pointers for that one. I had it flying ok. I did a few test glides with the Chambermaid and on the last one, it nosed into the dirt pretty hard and snapped a bunch of the stringers right up front. So it didn't fly. I need to spend some time repairing it before I can give it a go. If I wait too long, the flying season will give way to the rainy season and I'll miss my chance.