From Trainer to Warbird

BeepTickles

I've only semi-recently gotten into the hobby of flying, I have a HobbyZone Mini Super Cub and Champ. I have been learning on those and am wondering: Can I jump from these trainers to a more advanced warbird? I was thinking about the Durafly P-51 (1100 mm). Is this a fair step or a far stretch? :confused: If I should learn to fly another plane first what plane or type of plane should it be? Thanks :D

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
If you are going up to a warbird I'd recommend a T-28. They may not have the "cool" factor of the mustang, but it'll probably last longer as it is easier to fly and won't exhibit the terrible warbird stall characteristics. Most of them seem to slow down pretty nicely and they're still nice and aerobatic planes to fly.

BeepTickles

If you are going up to a warbird I'd recommend a T-28. They may not have the "cool" factor of the mustang, but it'll probably last longer as it is easier to fly and won't exhibit the terrible warbird stall characteristics. Most of them seem to slow down pretty nicely and they're still nice and aerobatic planes to fly.

Many people have suggested the T-28 for me and now I'm seriously considering it. Thanks alot for your imput! :eek: Is there a T-28 from a specific company you would recommend? (preferably with retracts cuz they're cool) :p

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The Durafly T-28 seems to be just as good as any other, and you'll be getting a lot more bang for your buck. Retracts (with gear doors), flaps, lights, etc... For the $130ish they're asking for it I haven't found a better deal.

BeepTickles

The Durafly T-28 seems to be just as good as any other, and you'll be getting a lot more bang for your buck. Retracts (with gear doors), flaps, lights, etc... For the $130ish they're asking for it I haven't found a better deal.

Yeah that one looks pretty good, thanks! :D

airhawk

Crashing Ace
other t 28 options

Many people have suggested the T-28 for me and now I'm seriously considering it. Thanks alot for your imput! :eek: Is there a T-28 from a specific company you would recommend? (preferably with retracts cuz they're cool) :p

this one has retracts but its from nitro planes so not the most common seller but its cheap for an rtf http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a703-1450-t28-red-rtf-24g.html
also have you seen the parkzone t 28
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/park-flyers-indoor/bind-n-fly/t-28-trojan-bnf-pkz4480
hope this helps
-Airhawk:)