• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FT-3d build

Okay, after the EAF thread I have the bug for 3d. I'm making an FT-3d, okay,, several as 1) I know I will crash, and 2) I have a laser so several are just a little more work than one.

Anyway, I just realized that the plans call for a balsa center spare. I have no balsa. What do I have laying around that would be a good substitute? 1/8" Baltic Birch? Paint stir stick?

Attachments

Merv

I use barbecue skewers, 4 of them, 2 on top & 2 on the bottom. I make the wing the thickness of a multiple of the FB. That is I will make the inside of wing 3 layer of FB thick, for a total of 5 layers when you measure the outside of the wing. Before the fold, I cut slots in the wing to accept the skewers. After the fold, I will insert the skewers into one wing half. Then make a FB plug, to support the skewers as they pass through the fuse. Then install the wing half in the plane and insert the skewers into the other half of the wing

I use barbecue skewers, 4 of them, 2 on top & 2 on the bottom. I make the wing the thickness of a multiple of the FB. That is I will make the inside of wing 3 layer of FB thick, for a total of 5 layers when you measure the outside of the wing. Before the fold, I cut slots in the wing to accept the skewers. After the fold, I will insert the skewers into one wing half. Then make a FB plug, to support the skewers as they pass through the fuse. Then install the wing half in the plane and insert the skewers into the other half of the wing
Well, I might try this at some point but I've already glued the halves so I'm going to try some .200" plywood. A little heavy but I just wanting these to fly, later ones can hover.