FT-3d build

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Okay, after the EAF thread I have the bug for 3d. I'm making an FT-3d, okay,, several as 1) I know I will crash, and 2) I have a laser so several are just a little more work than one.

Anyway, I just realized that the plans call for a balsa center spare. I have no balsa. What do I have laying around that would be a good substitute? 1/8" Baltic Birch? Paint stir stick?

Attachments

• 20191123_190245.jpg
    20191123_190245.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use barbecue skewers, 4 of them, 2 on top & 2 on the bottom. I make the wing the thickness of a multiple of the FB. That is I will make the inside of wing 3 layer of FB thick, for a total of 5 layers when you measure the outside of the wing. Before the fold, I cut slots in the wing to accept the skewers. After the fold, I will insert the skewers into one wing half. Then make a FB plug, to support the skewers as they pass through the fuse. Then install the wing half in the plane and insert the skewers into the other half of the wing

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I use barbecue skewers, 4 of them, 2 on top & 2 on the bottom. I make the wing the thickness of a multiple of the FB. That is I will make the inside of wing 3 layer of FB thick, for a total of 5 layers when you measure the outside of the wing. Before the fold, I cut slots in the wing to accept the skewers. After the fold, I will insert the skewers into one wing half. Then make a FB plug, to support the skewers as they pass through the fuse. Then install the wing half in the plane and insert the skewers into the other half of the wing
Well, I might try this at some point but I've already glued the halves so I'm going to try some .200" plywood. A little heavy but I just wanting these to fly, later ones can hover.