FT Cruiser - BUILD

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I too would like to oder this plane but it is as expensive to post to Europe as it is to buy it! so my question is what material can i use instead of the one used here, as i dont think i can get this material in Germany, so could i use Depron??

Depron would be an excellent alternative.

JustinTime

Is there a template for the turtle deck if you scratch build? I didn't see any. Also, on the plans there is no reference for the two fin support where the turtle deck glues to.

Bolvon72

Mentor
Is there a template for the turtle deck if you scratch build? I didn't see any. Also, on the plans there is no reference for the two fin support where the turtle deck glues to.

I couldn't find them, I just faked it. They aren't too difficult to estimate. You also will not find the poster board nose cover, but that's an easy cut.

Last edited:

Bolvon72

Mentor
I know, I faked it too. I'm still wondering why it was left out.

Not sure, but considering I couldn't come close to designing something like this I don't worry too much If they miss something. I got the kit in yesterday I'll make templates from that.

Orcoz

Got to make it last!

I couldn't be happier with this build so far! On release day (Monday) I must've refreshed my browser over a hundred times waiting for the Flitetest video to be released, and on one of my anxious clicks I noticed a new ad banner with a pic of Mr. Bixlers twin engined beauty! Clickity Click Click Click! I had ordered mine before even noticing the bonus of the FPV pod and flaperons :cool:

I got my package on Saturday and didn't even open the box that day... I fondled it. hehe.

On Sunday I built my power pods and took some extra time soldering up my Y-harnesses... and then opened the box. USPS did their level best to crush the contents, and my kit did have some unfortunate wrinkles, but I could absolutely care less! The value isn't in the foam - it's in the care these guys put into their designs and videos.

I warmed up my glue gun after work yesterday, and very quickly found myself getting worried that I'd finish the build too fast! I mean, the wing was done and off to the side extremely quickly, and at the point that I had the turtle deck on the fuse I began to realize my 'fun building time' was going to end all too soon.

Fortunately for me, an episode of Game of Thrones on DVR pulled me away, and a business trip to Florida has halted my progress until next weekend. Until then - my project is still in that great stage of anticipations and dreams of paint schemes.:p

Here it sits... loving every minute of it!

Attachments

• cruiser.JPG
    cruiser.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 66

Charles Beener

The build of my kit came together nice. The only thing we added was two air scoop inlets for the ESC's
I did cover my plane with clear Mylar so it would take a little water on it without loosing the paper covering.
Total weight 1lb 10 oz.
Plain to do the maiden tomorrow.

Love the laser cuts !

Attachments

• P1000503.JPG
    P1000503.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 79

Dannykoz

Question about connecting one battery to two ESC's using EC3 instead of T connectors

Hi guys - first time posting a question. I bought the Lazertoyz kit for my FT Cruiser but I use EC3 connectors exclusively. I need to make the y harness to go from one battery to the two esc's but I can't find anyone who's ever done it using EC3 connectors. It looks like ill have to do inline connections like a regular parallel Y harness but have two female and one male instead of the other way around. I can't imagine the bullets in an EC3 could handle two wires unless I go up to 16 or 18 gauge.

Also, their esc BEC's have linear rather than switching mode. Does that mean I don't have to remove the second BEC's red wire?

Thanks!!!!!!

Dannykoz

Hi guys - first time posting a question. I bought the Lazertoyz kit for my FT Cruiser but I use EC3 connectors exclusively. I need to make the y harness to go from one battery to the two esc's but I can't find anyone who's ever done it using EC3 connectors. It looks like ill have to do inline connections like a regular parallel Y harness but have two female and one male instead of the other way around. I can't imagine the bullets in an EC3 could handle two wires unless I go up to 16 or 18 gauge.

Also, their esc BEC's have linear rather than switching mode. Does that mean I don't have to remove the second BEC's red wire?

Thanks!!!!!!

Charles Beener

Thanks!!!!!!

I would never go under 12ga wire to run two ESC's. This plane does has short runs to the ESC's.
The EC3 connectors I would strip one wire long and solder it to the EC3 then wrap the other wire to wire that is already soldered. Don't forget the heat shrink. And when your soldering the two wires together to give enough time so the solder will flow in both wires. Careful don't get burnt .

I don't ever use the power from two BEC's and tie them together at the receiver. That's asking for trouble. If you need a BEC's power for the plane just use one of the red wires on the motor servo to ESC connection and remove the red wire from other servo to ESC connection. You don't have to cut the unused red wire from the three pin servo connection. You can take pin to the plastic connector and push up the plastic tab and the pin will come out.

Hope this helps. I'm not to good explaining things at times.

CharlesB

Orcoz

Really fun build!

I had more fun just following along and building this plane than any I can remember. It went too quick :black_eyed: but frankly it has me ready to build another.... so I'll likely be flying a little more aggressively than normal! hehe

Maiden will be this afternoon, and from there I'll apply the tweaks to make the ship to my liking. Based on the feel of the flight, I'll decide on a scheme to paint her up.

FUN!

Attachments

• cruiser finish 3.JPG
    cruiser finish 3.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 53
  • cruiser finish 4.JPG
    cruiser finish 4.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 38
  • cruiser finish 2.JPG
    cruiser finish 2.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 38

SWAMPER

Anyone have a Spektrum setup for differential thrust they could upload ? or give a detailed how to with the spectrum radio ? I have a DX7s

rallyman

My build is coming along great - just waiting for a couple of servos. In the meantime I found the perfect canopy! I bought a new mouse and the blister pack is just what the doctor ordered. Then I had to go and hire an experienced crew - they were not
cheap!!! - but money is no object for the Canuck Cruszr 2013 - one that will
go down in antiquity - or flames - or maybe one of my routine lawn darts - who knows....

Cruszbuildinprogress.jpg Cruszrpilots.jpg