FT Duster - BUILD

Mustang7302

Looks like my first couple of flights from tonight's maiden of my Duster. Nose high attitude and just takes a lot of umph to get it flying. I figured part of my problem was the small prop (7x5") making thrust a bit anemic, but the other part certainly was I had my 1300mAh 3S sitting too far back and it was tail heavy. The latter is certainly a part of your issue. Make sure the ESC's throttle range is calibrated and move the battery forward two inches. A good toss in the air and don't be afraid to lay on the throttle until you're a couple of mistakes high.

I did get a four or five minutes of flight in tonight before loosing orientation in the failing light of sun set, it landed pretty rough and will need a visit with the glue gun for repairs. The small prop just made me keep so much more throttle than I am use to carrying with my Super Cub. I am going to get a 9x5 prop, put it on the bench, and dial in the wattage limit of the motor on the throttle travel before giving the duster another go in the air.

miri

My Duster

Thank you Mustang7302 for your reply. I will move the battery forward, than i'll try the setup again with a turingy 3s 850 mah (to see if the weight is the problem for the plane). I might also try to make a Li-Ion 3s pack out of cellphone batteries and try with the Duster considering the weight of the cellphone batteries. But I have a question about the motor, my motor says just 1400 kv and nothing else, but i have also ordered a turnigy D2822/14 1450 kv and i saw that you're using the same one. Is this motor good for the Duster? I have also ordered a Bixler 2 RTF which has a 2620-1300 kv motor. I'm upgrading this Bixler with a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 2836-2500 kv, so the stock motor from Bixler will be available for the duster, so which one is better?

Thank you!
miri

Update: I think it was battery's fault. I put today a Turnigy Nano-tech 850 mah 3S Lipo in the Duster and tried the throttle while I was holding the plane with my left hand and it almost flew vertical. The charger i was using is not working anymore and it is the only charger that i have so i'm going to order a new one. I'll post a video after i fly the Duster with the Turnigy 850 mah battery. I hope it will work this time.

Update 2:

Last edited:

MrSonicKeith

Looking very nice Miri

This was a very quick build and really enjoy building flitetest models. I have attached some of my build photos.

IMG_2318.jpg IMG_2320.jpg IMG_2321.jpg IMG_2323.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
SonicKeith,

That's a nice clean build you got there! So had your Dusty gotten any altitude yet?

MrSonicKeith

SonicKeith,

That's a nice clean build you got there! So had your Dusty gotten any altitude yet?

Yes, but Dusty was a little fearful of heights and broke a prop on the weekend flying between big pine trees.

He does prefer it a little windy why flying and doing speed runs.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yes, but Dusty was a little fearful of heights and broke a prop on the weekend flying between big pine trees.

He does prefer it a little windy why flying and doing speed runs.

Trees do like planes . . . I'd suggest telling them to not play so rough, but they never listen to me. Best just to avoid them ;)

Sounds like you got a fun flight or two out of him, now get that plane another prop and get him back in the air!

Mustang7302

Went to the Wings Over Houston Airshow this past weekend and a turbine powered prop driven modern tractor plane was dolled up as Dusty!

8bcf.jpg

miri

It is a great looking Duster MrSonicKeith.
I also saw the video on youtube. I think it flies very good.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Went to the Wings Over Houston Airshow this past weekend and a turbine powered prop driven modern tractor plane was dolled up as Dusty!
I didn't make it to the airshow, but I saw they had him on the billboards! How was the show? Judging by your picture, it looked wet.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Hey folks, did anyone ever find out if this can fly with the 24gram Blue wonder?

Yes it does. I tried it on mine with a 24g Blue Wonder and 8 X 6 GWS style prop (HD8060), and it flew just fine. It was a little tail heavy with the lighter motor, so I had to move the 1300 mAh 3S forward to compensate. Keep in mind the power will be modest. You won't be doing any straight vertical climbs with this motor, but it does a respectable job, considering it's size. Awesome little motor.

Last edited:

bcarlson

Hi there,

I just built a FT Duster over the Christmas break, and when I took it out to fly, it taxied fine, but didn't quite have enough oomph to get off the ground. I got one maybe three foot flight when the wind gusted, otherwise it was stuck to the ground.

I'm brand new to R/C planes, and didn't use what was recommended... I went to the local hobby shop, and had them give recommendations. Even still, I think it should have flown! Here's what they recommended:

EFlite Park 300 Brushless outrunner motor; 1380Kv
EFlite 2S 7.4V 430mAh LiPo battery
8x4 prop

Any ideas? The only other thing I was thinking of was maybe it's too tail heavy?

Thanks in advance!

-Ben

ringo42

You need a 3s battery. I flew mine on 2s by accident once and it just barely flew. 3s is way better.
Ringo

Jaxx

The Duster is a blast to fly. Here's mine after I repaired the crash damage from its maiden flight. Now it's on the operating table again. The blue sections were done as part of my first attempt at airbrushing. The orange sections were done with my daughter's craft brush. I used Apple Barrel acrylic paint from Walmart for both.

IMG_2933s.JPG

Last edited:

seanudal

Hi, I am building Dusty and made the mistake of buying the PowerPod electronics listed with the PowerPod Build. So bought a 24g 1300kv outrunner, with 1300 mA LiPo and 8x4E prop. I see on the flight test build they use a bigger Emax 70g outrunner. Will mine fly? Thanks Sean image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Jaxx

It should fly, but it will feel underpowered. I tried that exact combination of components, except for the prop. I used an 8x6 GWS style prop on mine. It flew fine, but it didn't have the type of power I like to have at full throttle. My buddy is flying his with that electronics combination and an 8x6 prop at the moment.