FT Gremlin Keeps Loosing Motors During Flight

Doctors11

Hey everyone,

I'm kind of new to the whole building my own quad. About a month ago I ordered the FT Gremlin and I had a blast building it from the ground up. I was able to fly the quad for about a week with no problems (basically hovering it in the air). This all ended when I crashed and knocked off the front right motor ripping the motor from the quad and breaking the wires connecting the motor at the base. So after a few minutes of analysis of the wreckage, I noticed that the screws that should have been holding the motor in place were missing. After looking at the other motors I realized that the screws were too short and with enough force any of my motors could have fallen off causing similar damage to the motors.

Fast forward to today I fixed up the quad with a new motor and replaced the screws with the longer screws from the kit. I set out to go fly in an open field outside my apartment. After a few minutes, I had a crash with a bush forcing me to land on the ground. I go out to my Gremlin and take a look at the quad. Nothing seemed out of place and everything was functioning just fine. I arm the quad and test the motors before taking back off into the air. After a few turns, the quad falls out of the air tumbling to the ground. I run over and take a look at the wreckage. To my surprise, a different motor was now ripped from the wires just like my first crash with only one screw sitting in the frame. I know I put the longer screws to hold the motor, but I can't figure out why I keep losing the motors like this. Any help or suggestions would be nice as I only can't afford to replace the motors after every flight. I would like to get the Gremlin back into the air and flying once again.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I suggest getting some blue locktite. It will hold the screws in but not so you cant undo them later. this should hold them in place for you.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Make sure the screws you use are not too long too. If they are long enough to get into the motor windings you’ll short something and have desync issues.

Last edited:

Doctors11

Just as a follow-up. I got new motors and some locktite. Good news is that I haven't lost a motor yet. Thanks for your help.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I wouldn't worry that much anyway. You can lose 4 motors at most :p