FT Pietenpol scale

Hi, I would like to build a FT Pietenpol on a size that i can use a power pack C setup. Does anyone have tips on how to upscale the design to fit a power pack C. Thanks in advance.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
My absolute favorite way to scale up a plane is to do a 200% scale printout of the plans, then double the foam on the body. The main issue of scaling up planes is that the thickness of the foamboard does no scale up with the plans. With the pietenpol however there are a few more points of stress on the airframe (mainly how the wing is attached to the body). To go about attaching the wing to the fuse I would find some wooden dowels at a craft store that are roughly 200% the scale of popsicle sticks, or get ones that are close and make customizations while building.

edit: I just remembered that the wing is also only a single piece thick, you might want to think about ways to reinforce that by either adding ribs or a metal rod (about 2-3mm diameters) bent at the same angle of dihedral of the wing and run along the crease of the foam.

My absolute favorite way to scale up a plane is to do a 200% scale printout of the plans, then double the foam on the body. The main issue of scaling up planes is that the thickness of the foamboard does no scale up with the plans. With the pietenpol however there are a few more points of stress on the airframe (mainly how the wing is attached to the body). To go about attaching the wing to the fuse I would find some wooden dowels at a craft store that are roughly 200% the scale of popsicle sticks, or get ones that are close and make customizations while building.

edit: I just remembered that the wing is also only a single piece thick, you might want to think about ways to reinforce that by either adding ribs or a metal rod (about 2-3mm diameters) bent at the same angle of dihedral of the wing and run along the crease of the foam.
Would it be possible to use paintsticks instead of popsickle sticks? And maybe have the fuse+wing made out of maker foam and then regular foam for the doublers?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Would it be possible to use paintsticks instead of popsickle sticks? And maybe have the fuse+wing made out of maker foam and then regular foam for the doublers?
hey dean i think that would be completely possible...
but
have you ever flown any planes before and if so what type..
the pietenpol is an okay plane but the scout or cub might be easier and more durable in crashes

hey dean i think that would be completely possible...
but
have you ever flown any planes before and if so what type..
the pietenpol is an okay plane but the scout or cub might be easier and more durable in crashes
I’ve flown the ft mustang and the guinea pig so I thought that it would be cheaper to make my favorite plane power pack c size.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I’ve flown the ft mustang and the guinea pig so I thought that it would be cheaper to make my favorite plane power pack c size.
my only worry would be the wing folding.
the standard ft wing is a very different aerofoil compared to the mini pietenpol aerofoil... maybe if you were to scale it up to the same wing span as the ft scout(the big one) and then use the scouts wing on it..... that would be nice and strong and with some mods the scouts wing will have the same shape as the pietenpol's

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
my only worry would be the wing folding.
the standard ft wing is a very different aerofoil compared to the mini pietenpol aerofoil... maybe if you were to scale it up to the same wing span as the ft scout(the big one) and then use the scouts wing on it..... that would be nice and strong and with some mods the scouts wing will have the same shape as the pietenpol's
so basically use a combination of the pietenpol's fuselage and tail.... but use the scout wing

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I was thinking more of a ft explorer wing or something that size
hmmm. so you would want to scale it up like 200% the pietenpol that is.....
one problem you would have to re-enforce the explorers wing... i built the explorer yesterday and on the first flight the wing snapped.... (not builders error....) many people have been complaining that that wing folds/snaps very easily.......
i put a length of alaminium angle iron in the the wing and it will not fold now.
if you did something like that then you would be fine