FT power pack C help

cbarnett

Hello - new to the forum! Just hoping someone can help a noob with propellor install on the FT radial 2218/1180kv motor. The prop comes with little plastic collar inserts for different size motor shafts. Do I need to use any of those on either side of the prop hole, or just put it straight on the motor shaft with the prop size specs facing forward and tighten down the nut? Thanks in advance for the help!

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
There is a very good reason those things come with your props. I have rarely had that happen, the prop should fit snugly on that shaft, should not be "Well that almost fits ok and when I tighten the nut its good"

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
So then its sound advice to a newcomer to not bother with the collars because you usually don't use them? Anybody else want to weigh in here? If your reply to this persons question was the only reply they got, do you believe that you were helping or giving this person good advice?

OliverW

Legendary member
Yes. I agree but all of my props fit very snugly onto the shafts.
If they were loose I would use the collar but if it doesn't need a collar I would rather put them onto my box of Goodie's:p
Even if it sits snug it's worth attaching one as it may flex at higher rpms around the prop shaft because it doesn't have that extra piece.. Giving someone the advice not to use it could potentially be dangerous

cbarnett

So here's how I "think" it's intended to be fit:

The propellor fits loosely over the threaded part of the motor shaft. Once it's slid all the way on over the non-threaded part at the base of the motor, it's snug with no apparent wobble or play. The only supplied collar that has a big enough opening that it slides snugly over the threads slightly insets into the front of the prop and there's still enough thread protruding that the nylon insert of the nut engages and keeps it from unscrewing easily.

I tried putting the same size collar on first before the prop, and it only fits over the threads and can't be pushed further onto the non-threaded part. With it configured this way, there is not enough threads exposed on the front-end to get to the nylon insert of the nut and engage.

What do y'all think? Again, thanks for the help!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

The propellor fits loosely over the threaded part of the motor shaft. Once it's slid all the way on over the non-threaded part at the base of the motor, it's snug with no apparent wobble or play. The only supplied collar that has a big enough opening that it slides snugly over the threads slightly insets into the front of the prop and there's still enough thread protruding that the nylon insert of the nut engages and keeps it from unscrewing easily.

I tried putting the same size collar on first before the prop, and it only fits over the threads and can't be pushed further onto the non-threaded part. With it configured this way, there is not enough threads exposed on the front-end to get to the nylon insert of the nut and engage.

I use the other type of prop mounts...
The ones with the bullet like mount

cbf123

You want the propeller to be oriented such that any letters/numbers on the prop blades are facing forwards. When doing this, is the opening for the collar closer to the motor bell or closer to the nut?

On mine, the collar goes between the prop and the motor bell, and I pick a collar sized such that the prop can be pressed all the way down to the motor. (Sometimes it's quite snug and needs a firm push.)

Crow929

If you don't have a collar that fits snugly, you can drill out a smaller one to the correct dimension. Insert the collar in the prop, add a drop of CA or else the collar will just spin and get stuck on the drill bit. The prop will give you plenty of leverage to hold while reaming out the collar.