FT Racer questions (motor, flaperons)

Q3001

Hey guys and gals! I just came across a deal for an FT Racer - quite a good build, and was the right price considering the parts that came with it. I have plans for the parts once this airframe is toast (though based on Andre's experience that might be a while! Haha!) I should point out that I have not flown it for myself yet.

Anyways, the prior owner said it flew great with plenty of power - I'm wondering what your guys' thoughts are on the setup:

Turnigy 3530-14 1100 Kv motor with a 10x8 master airscrew prop on 3s.

Seems to me that's an awfully big motor for that thing, but it balances fine.

I'm thinking this might be a bit of a screamer, and though I usually fly fast wings, this seems a little intimidating. I'm working on my 4 channel experience with some of my other planes (FT Mini Corsair, 4 channel modded FT Speedster). I probably won't take this Racer out until spring.

To that end, I've mixed in Flaperons. Is this a good idea? My thinking is that I'll be able to slow it down more on landing approach. I've mixed it to a 3 position switch on my TX so I have a mid-setting, and I don't think I've gone too drastic with the amount of added camber...

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Mixing in Flaperon function will definitely slow the plane down for landing but the throw available for roll control will decrease and at a slower landing speed the roll control may very well disappear. I have seen quite a few fantastic hand built models reduced to scrap because of flaperon mixing and a tiny gust of wind on landing. The greater the flap effect the less roll control you will have on landing.

Better to land a little fast than to land nose first!

Q3001

Good point. I could always throw it on high rates once it's slowed down and I'm on approach. For the first couple fights I don't intend on using any flaperons, then move to the mid-setting, and if all goes well use full flaperons. Probably while switching on to high rates.

I guess it's all one big experiment anyways, which is a big part of the fun with FT planes, no worry about a large investment going to pieces. I can always build another.

Just wondered if anyone had tried it with the FT Racer before.