FT Simple Soarer HELP!!!

Hey guys, I'm building an FT Simple Soarer for my Dad for Christmas but realized I need two 24" Push Rods. I don't have any normal diameter push rods that long and I don't have time to order from HK (X-Mas is in two days!). I could make a run to the hobby store but the closest one is a good 10-15 minutes away. I do have wire coat hangers and many shorter push rods. Could I combine push rods (without welding) or use coat hangers? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks,

Troop 17 Aviation Group

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You can probably move your servos back towards the tail if your battery is big enough to keep it balanced. Otherwise I don't think you should use coat hangars. The wire tends to be rather thick and bendy to work well. As for combining the push rods, I can't think of any way you could do such a thing without either soldering or welding the wires together. Your best option is to get some 24" push rods from the LHS. It may seem like a waste of time just to go for wire, but it is really best not to mess with the balance of the aircraft, or botch two push rods together.

probably worth the ~45 minute round trip to the local hobby shop to get it done right. you will probably spend more time waiting for an answer here and trying to patch linkage together than it would take to run to the hobby shop and back with the right part.

Thanks, I will try to make a run out, just trying to see if there was a way around it. Is there anything to be aware of (tips/tricks) when building this plane? I have built 3 FT Racers at this point so I know how to work with foam board but this looks like a skinnier and more fragile airplane. Should I work differently?

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Go to your local hardware store and get flag markers. It is a piece of neon plastic square with a rod that is the right size, then take another wire (copper should work) and wrap tightly where you want to join (the rods will need to overlap inside this wire wrap) then solder the joint. You can replace it later if you are a perfectionist.

My SS was tail heavy, I could not have placed servos rear of the recommended location.

Justin