FT Simple Storch (not a serious video)

Anselme

Hi there !

I just built my new plane, my FT Simple Storch. Painted it like the german Fieseler Storch (kinda).
Today I did the maiden and I thought funny to record my takeoffs and landings.
It was windy (maybe 25 mph) so taking off was like with a STOL plane, really fn.
So I made a small video. Nothing spectacular but I hope you will laugh ! :ROFLMAO:

3 things to know :

1) That was my first plane with landing gears (first time not hand-launching)
2) I know this is'nt the right place for landing, you will see :ROFLMAO:
3) Just after stopping the video I broke my propeller again. (not very intersting but you know)

Also, I will be buying some 100mm wheels to be able to take off directly from grass. That will also add a STOL-plane look !

Hope you will like it !

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hi there !

I just built my new plane, my FT Simple Storch. Painted it like the german Fieseler Storch (kinda).
Today I did the maiden and I thought funny to record my takeoffs and landings.
It was windy (maybe 25 mph) so taking off was like with a STOL plane, really fn.
So I made a small video. Nothing spectacular but I hope you will laugh ! :ROFLMAO:

3 things to know :

1) That was my first plane with landing gears (first time not hand-launching)
2) I know this is'nt the right place for landing, you will see :ROFLMAO:
3) Just after stopping the video I broke my propeller again. (not very intersting but you know)

Also, I will be buying some 100mm wheels to be able to take off directly from grass. That will also add a STOL-plane look !

Hope you will like it !

Its a good looking plane bud, Keep recording and posting flights. Would like to see more

Anselme

Hey everyone !

Thank you for your replies ! Yeah it was pretty windy but very fun. At 1/2 throttle I was flying without going forward.

I will sure do another video but with beter camera angles ! And will better landings too, with my new wheels !

See you

Bayboos

Hey, that's a nice looking one! Keep trying, this plane is capable of much, much more! (exhibit 1, exhibit 2) I hope you will have a lot of fun flying it, even in "not so perfect" weather, just like I had (and hopefully will again someday, building my 3'rd and 4'th Storch right now). Good luck!

Anselme

Thanks ! Your Storch is nice looking too !
Haha loved the static flights... However mine has no flaps and I don't really like flaperons because you loose some roll capabilities. (I think).
This was my first one and I will surely get it out to fly on the next stormy day.

Have good flights !

Bayboos

Well, it WAS nice looking... but is not anymore. That's why I'm building #3 and #4.

The thing that makes the Storch so different - and so fun - is it's capability to fly slow. Not having flaps at all is just like... I don't know, maybe flying a jet fighter without afterburner? It definitely can be done and even fun, but it's also not using it's full capabilities. Having flaps or flaperons doesn't mean you have to use them, while not having them leaves you without the choice.

From my experience, using flaperons does reduce the roll rate a little (only when actually in use!), but not as much as you may worry about. As you can see from my videos, the Storch can fly with flaps deployed (I use both flaps and flaperons!) even in quite turbulent air. So if it's the only reason why you don't "like" them then please don't be afraid to push your limits! The plane will handle a lot. And even if not, you can almost always repair it. Or build another one :)

Good luck, and have fun!

Anselme

Hi !

I already tried flaperons but I got scared by the fact roll rate was reduced A LOT. That was maybe because the flaps angle was too large.
But you made me motivated in trying the flaperons again.

I will try that soon !

Bayboos

It is true that when using flaperons the "flap angle" should be limited. Flaperons are a compromise - they will never be as good as a separate set of flaps and ailerons, and that is true for both "roles". I actually use flaperon setting to squeeze even more "full flap" performance from an airframe already equipped with "proper" flaps; but that's just my thing: I love to get everything I can from whatever I have :)

In my very first article published on the FliteTest page, I described my own flap/flaperon setting in detail. The article can be found under this link: Perfect trainer: FT Simple Storch LIGHT. The article is quite old and some of the "facts" there are already outdated; but the control setup I described there remains valid and I was using it up to the day of the last crash. And will use it again.

Good luck, and have fun!