FT Spear build - servo position

Folgore88

Hello guys,
I have been building my third FT Spear. I would like to move the servos close to the trailing edge and in a central position on the wing so the pushrod is shorter. What do you think ?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...What do you think ?
I have not built the Spear, I have built many wings. With wings, the CG is always a concern. If you are want to move the servos aft, I would recommend you do a test balance. Build the plane, then tape everything where you are planning to put it and see if you can get it to balance on the CG mark. On my Versa, I need to move the motor forward 3+ inches to make the plane balance. If your plane will balance on the CG mark, then go for it.

Things are much easier to move when they are taped down than when they are glued down.

Foamforce

The “bulkhead” that separates the FPV platform on the front from the rest of the fuselage prevents you from moving the battery further forward. If you eliminated or modified the “bulkhead” and moved the battery all the way to the front, you would have plenty of wiggle room to move the servos further to the rear. Just an idea!

Folgore88

Thanks for the advice, that's what I meant. Moving the servos then I would have the CG problem. I thought of making the pushrods with 3mm carbon tube, something like that :
It should improve a lot, otherwise I will try to move the battery further forward.

Folgore88

Yes, this is also possible. I will see what will be best. I'll prepare the push rods and then do some simulations for the CG. I have to think about how to pass the servo cables in a way that fits the two solutions longer fuselage(servo close to TE) or carbon pushrod with servo in original position