FT EDGE 120%

Folgore88

Hi guys,
after FT spear which I enjoyed a lot, I decided to build FT Edge 120%. I have just printed the plans and in these days I will start to cut the raw depron. I have a Brusheless motor Prodrive 2836 1800KV left over from other models, ESC 50A, lipo 4200 4S and 8x4 propeller. What do you think I can use this setup ?
Any suggestions for building FT Edge 120% ?

Folgore88

Thank you Dean, yes it is true. Tomorrow I'll start cutting and step by step I evaluate the reinforcements. I also have to check all the parts that must not change with the upscaling, e.g. Servos holes etc...

Pieliker96

Elite member
An 8 inch prop is a tad small for the Edge, especially at 180% 120% (edit: typo 8 for 2) . It'll probably fly fine, but if you're planning for low-speed 3D maneuvering then large props will give better throttle response - the stock edge uses a 9 or 10x4.5 depending on cell count.

Last edited:

Folgore88

Thank you Pieliker96, I made only 20% upscaling
The suggested propeller is 6x4 battery 4s, maybe with a 9 or 10 inch propeller the motor gets very hot.
This is my first aerobatic plane. I would like FT edge flies well even if it can't do low speed advanced 3D, I am a newbie.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi guys,
after FT spear which I enjoyed a lot, I decided to build FT Edge 120%. I have just printed the plans and in these days I will start to cut the raw depron. I have a Brusheless motor Prodrive 2836 1800KV left over from other models, ESC 50A, lipo 4200 4S and 8x4 propeller. What do you think I can use this setup ?
Any suggestions for building FT Edge 120% ?
There isn’t very much prop clearance on the edge with a 9” prop. I doubt an 8” prop will clear the cowling at 120%.

Folgore88

There isn’t very much prop clearance on the edge with a 9” prop. I doubt an 8” prop will clear the cowling at 120%.

Thanks for your advice.
I have seen your posts about the Edge 140% very interesting. But then did you build it and fly it?
According to the engine specs with 4s battery they recommend propellers of maximum 6x4. So, that was my doubt, I will buy a new motor, according to your experience what do you suggest for my 120%?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks for your advice.
I have seen your posts about the Edge 140% very interesting. But then did you build it and fly it?
According to the engine specs with 4s battery they recommend propellers of maximum 6x4. So, that was my doubt, I will buy a new motor, according to your experience what do you suggest for my 120%?
Unfortunately I haven’t gotten a chance to finish mine yet, I wasn’t able to make it past the cutting stage, it’s just so much to cut out. As far as a motor goes, this one should be perfect:
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/brushless-motors/outrunner-airplane/gforce-g32-800kv.html

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Thanks for your advice.
The ft edge plans recommends 9x4.5 prop on 4s, 10x4.5 on 3s, not sure where you are getting 6x4, a 6x4 would barely (if at all) clear the cowl. I would not go smaller than a 12 inch prop at 120%.

Folgore88

Unfortunately I haven’t gotten a chance to finish mine yet, I wasn’t able to make it past the cutting stage, it’s just so much to cut out. As far as a motor goes, this one should be perfect:
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/brushless-motors/outrunner-airplane/gforce-g32-800kv.html

Good morning from Europe, I've been cutting raw depron for two days and I really understand what didn't inspire you to continue with the Edge 140% project and especially starting from scratch there's a lot of work to do, but that's also the pleasure. I hope you can one day finish your Edge 140% and let me know how it flies. Thanks for the motor recommendation, I'm looking to buy a new one. Thanks to all ;)